Notre Dame will not be a cake walk . . .

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
http://notredame.forums.rivals.com/...ood-this-team-till-we-play-georgia-tec.24540/

The fans are worried up there in South Bend. Appears that the post creator was either drunk or didn't get much good schoolin'.

Maybe the funniest thing I've ever read on a college football board is the ND fans thinking they can get a walk on from the general student population that can simulate the offense that CPJ is bringing to South Bend. I feel much better about the game now knowing how they are preparing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe the funniest thing I've ever read on a college football board is the ND fans thinking they can get a walk on from the general student population that can simulate the offense that CPJ is bringing to South Bend. I feel much better about the game now knowing how they are preparing.

Dive, keep or pitch is all there is. Since we don't pass.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Would love to see us line up with a 4 WR shotgun set the first play just to make them blow a timeout. A little FU from CPJ.

I have seen Navy use a 4 WR set (under center) on 3rd and short to get some defenders out of the box. If the defenders don't account for the WRs it is a quick hit to them.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Really is funny given that they play Navy every year, and I believe the last two years anyway Navy rolled up more than 330 yards rushing. Could have used that student body guy then you would think. But of course, and not to pour cold water or anything, you say it is a message board so ....

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We all know (or should know) first games are misleading.

That said, just like us ND looked very crisp on both sides of the ball. Their QB completed 19 of 22 passes for 313 yards and is electric running the ball. Remember, he beat out the guy who transferred in and became FSU's starter. He is a good player. Both lines looked big and their team played with a lot of energy and focus.

I have no reason to think ND is not a top 20 team. Clearly they recruit well and have a lot of talent. Can we go up there and get a win? Absolutely. However we are really going to have to fight for it.

Really the first step is to go out against Tulane and play just the way did against Alcorn St. If we play hard with an eye towards getting better--if we compete against ourselves at the highest level--then I think the South Bend game will be an all out brawl.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the funniest thing I've ever read on a college football board is the ND fans thinking they can get a walk on from the general student population that can simulate the offense that CPJ is bringing to South Bend.

That has to be a joke.

....have ever lined up in front of this front five and JT?

And that is why I am pretty confident about GT's chance in this game at this time. JT has proven that running the offense in warp speed adds another dimension. 4 weeks of prep did not help MSU's defense much, much less Klimpsun, & UGA.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A walk on? Maybe ND has some pretty good walk ons, but I wonder if they have ever lined up in front of this front five and JT?
I hope they have no walk-ons. Then we will have to endure another sappy movie, partly fact and partly fiction.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We all know (or should know) first games are misleading.

That said, just like us ND looked very crisp on both sides of the ball. Their QB completed 19 of 22 passes for 313 yards and is electric running the ball. Remember, he beat out the guy who transferred in and became FSU's starter. He is a good player. Both lines looked big and their team played with a lot of energy and focus.

I have no reason to think ND is not a top 20 team. Clearly they recruit well and have a lot of talent. Can we go up there and get a win? Absolutely. However we are really going to have to fight for it.

Really the first step is to go out against Tulane and play just the way did against Alcorn St. If we play hard with an eye towards getting better--if we compete against ourselves at the highest level--then I think the South Bend game will be an all out brawl.
We will have to play hard, no question, to a avoid an upset.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see how you can say that what ND did was "no different than GT did several times last year." Name 1, let alone several, pwr 5 opponent that we held to 3pts, let alone to less .3 ppd last year.

Now find one, let alone several, where we came close to that while scoring more than 3.1 ppd in the same game.

The only game that I can remember in CPJ era where we beat a pwr5 or BCS AQ team this soundly was Syracuse in 2013. And I don't think we even came close in any other game over the last 7 years.

So, yeah, it's possible that ND's season ends up like ours from 2013. However, I don't see how you can just assume it. You certainly can't say it's like what we've done several times.

I also don't think we have to make ND bad to see them as beatable. We faced good teams in big venues last year. We don't need to be anxious, but we should expect to play a very good team.

I'd say what we did to Clemson in 14 is comparable to what ND did to Texas. We held Clem to 6 points. Granted, we created a lot of TO's, but thats what good teams do. I'd say our victory over Clemson last year is far superior to what ND did to UT. UT is not on the same echelon as Clemson.

UT is devoid of talent and horrible. It will be miracle if they win 5 games. That QB has no business starting at a BIG 12 school, and they have 2 o-linemen who are true frosh. That speaks volumes. Strong has a long way to go to rebuild that roster and make them into a 6 win team. Sorry, not as impressed with that ND as most of you. I'd imagine GT would beat UT in a similar manner. Hell, they may just be the 4th or 5th best team in Texas. I think by the time 2015 finishes, no one will be looking at this ND win in awe. The way ND beat UT will be the norm for many teams.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'd say what we did to Clemson in 14 is comparable to what ND did to Texas. We held Clem to 6 points. Granted, we created a lot of TO's, but thats what good teams do. I'd say our victory over Clemson last year is far superior to what ND did to UT. UT is not on the same echelon as Clemson.

UT is devoid of talent and horrible. It will be miracle if they win 5 games. That QB has no business starting at a BIG 12 school, and they have 2 o-linemen who are true frosh. That speaks volumes. Strong has a long way to go to rebuild that roster and make them into a 6 win team. Sorry, not as impressed with that ND as most of you. I'd imagine GT would beat UT in a similar manner. Hell, they may just be the 4th or 5th best team in Texas. I think by the time 2015 finishes, no one will be looking at this ND win in awe. The way ND beat UT will be the norm for many teams.

Good for you, I guess?

Like I've said before, it could end up that Tx is that bad this year.

Still, my point was that beating even bad P5 teams that soundly is rare. Your comparison with us vs CU is not close because even if you give GT the missed FG and another at the end of the game, our offense only scored 2.4 ppd. Of course, CU was a very good D, which is why we didn't beat them the same way and not a reason to redefine the points of comparison.

To say Texas is devoid of talent is to spit in the face of the national recruiting rating services (like you were Paul Johnson or somebody). They are perennially a top 10 rated recruiting team. They have an all world coach in Charlie Strong and as much or more institutional and monetary resources of any Division One football program in the world. They obviously are not a very good football team but they are not chopped liver. Perhaps they have lost their way.

My point is, they are not Alcorn State or Ohio State but probably somewhere in the middle and ND is a lot closer to the top of the heap, so we best prepare for their best shot and make sure we give them ours or it will be a long sad day for us in South Bend. I personally had thought ND was way over rated like they normally are, something to the attune of UGA, but it appears they have the bonafides in 2015.

Go Jackets!

The Domers put their pants on one leg at a time, just like mere mortals. If Texas has the talent you say, then it's an indictment of how they were prepared for this game. At no time did anyone watching have the feeling the Longhorns had even the slightest chance of winning that game. Of course they are not Alcorn, but they certainly looked like a 6-6 type team. I think we'll get a better evaluation of ND when they play Virginia. UVA was out gunned against UCLA but they played hard and they were not blown out.

Our O will stand up against ND but our D has to play well. We have to scheme to stop the run, it is difficult to get a pass rush, the QB can scramble and he has really good arm strength and accuracy on long throws. Stopping ND will be the challenge and our hope is to get turnovers or make some third down stops to enable us to outscore them. This game will be THE test for just how good we are.
If Notre Dame punts four times, Tech wins.