Notre Dame will not be a cake walk . . .

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Good for you, I guess?

Like I've said before, it could end up that Tx is that bad this year.

Still, my point was that beating even bad P5 teams that soundly is rare. Your comparison with us vs CU is not close because even if you give GT the missed FG and another at the end of the game, our offense only scored 2.4 ppd. Of course, CU was a very good D, which is why we didn't beat them the same way and not a reason to redefine the points of comparison.

Good for me, what? Are you always so defensive?

Texas is that bad this year. You're right, the comparison is not close. That's my point. We beat a very good team soundly. ND beat a very bad team soundly. Our win is more impressive. We struggled to run the ball (to our standards) in that game. Yet we still won impressively. There is nothing impressive about what ND. Many teams will do that to UT. Posters are blowing this ND win out of proportion. That's my point. It's that simple. The comparable part in comparing the two victories is both teams, final score, won soundly, and on paper, both look impressive. Dive deeper, and our Clemson is far more impressive, regardless of PPD.

It is ok for others to disagree with your opinion. Christ.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You know what, guys? This thread is taking on the play-not-to-lose attitude regarding ND. Why should we give a flip what they did against Texas or might do against anybody else? After we get past Tulane -- and lord knows we are doing a lot of overlooking here -- they have to line up against us. And then we'll play. Shouldn't ND be the team on the defensive? Geez. It is getting depressing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Good for me, what? Are you always so defensive?

Texas is that bad this year. You're right, the comparison is not close. That's my point. We beat a very good team soundly. ND beat a very bad team soundly. Our win is more impressive. We struggled to run the ball (to our standards) in that game. Yet we still won impressively. There is nothing impressive about what ND. Many teams will do that to UT. Posters are blowing this ND win out of proportion. That's my point. It's that simple. The comparable part in comparing the two victories is both teams, final score, won soundly, and on paper, both look impressive. Dive deeper, and our Clemson is far more impressive, regardless of PPD.

It is ok for others to disagree with your opinion. Christ.

I wasn't being defensive. I agreed that you might be right.

You responded to a post in which I laid out explicit criteria by ignoring those criteria and giving your opinion. That's why I replied with the good for you question. You have a valid and reasonable opinion that I commend you for but it's not responsive to my post. That's all.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'd say what we did to Clemson in 14 is comparable to what ND did to Texas. We held Clem to 6 points. Granted, we created a lot of TO's, but thats what good teams do. I'd say our victory over Clemson last year is far superior to what ND did to UT. UT is not on the same echelon as Clemson.

UT is devoid of talent and horrible. It will be miracle if they win 5 games. That QB has no business starting at a BIG 12 school, and they have 2 o-linemen who are true frosh. That speaks volumes. Strong has a long way to go to rebuild that roster and make them into a 6 win team. Sorry, not as impressed with that ND as most of you. I'd imagine GT would beat UT in a similar manner. Hell, they may just be the 4th or 5th best team in Texas. I think by the time 2015 finishes, no one will be looking at this ND win in awe. The way ND beat UT will be the norm for many teams.
So, who's better, UT or Alcorn St?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look, people are going to find reasons why they should be confident heading into any contest. Personally (this is the coach in me coming out), I think it is never wise to underestimate the enemy. It is the first step towards defeat. I expect ND to be very good. They have given me no reason to think otherwise. We can rationalize all we want about TEX ( I don't happen to think they are very good), but what ND did in that game is indicative of a very formidable opponent. That is fine with me, because I also happen to think we are really good. That makes my excitement factor heading into the game that much better. The threat of a possible loss gives me no pause whatsoever. It is time we raised our sights as a program and looked at such battles as the place we were meant to be, without fear or reservation. This is the arena we belong in, going against the best. If we are who we think we are, we don't need to slip into national contention because of a wussy schedule. The biggest memories from my playing days are always about the days we met our match (in a formidable and possibly superior opponent) and came out on top. It is never how I had a good day against an inferior team.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
To say Texas is devoid of talent is to spit in the face of the national recruiting rating services (like you were Paul Johnson or somebody). They are perennially a top 10 rated recruiting team. They have an all world coach in Charlie Strong and as much or more institutional and monetary resources of any Division One football program in the world. They obviously are not a very good football team but they are not chopped liver. Perhaps they have lost their way.

My point is, they are not Alcorn State or Ohio State but probably somewhere in the middle and ND is a lot closer to the top of the heap, so we best prepare for their best shot and make sure we give them ours or it will be a long sad day for us in South Bend. I personally had thought ND was way over rated like they normally are, something to the attune of UGA, but it appears they have the bonafides in 2015.

Go Jackets!

Jerry,
I noticed that they return 10 starters on Def and 9 on Off-so they have exp
this alone makes them dangerous if they get some confidence (my guess they will kill uva also), plus they are at home, I'm sure they will be favored and maybe for good reason

Animal02

Banned
Look, people are going to find reasons why they should be confident heading into any contest. Personally (this is the coach in me coming out), I think it is never wise to underestimate the enemy. It is the first step towards defeat. I expect ND to be very good. They have given me no reason to think otherwise. We can rationalize all we want about TEX ( I don't happen to think they are very good), but what ND did in that game is indicative of a very formidable opponent. That is fine with me, because I also happen to think we are really good. That makes my excitement factor heading into the game that much better. The threat of a possible loss gives me no pause whatsoever. It is time we raised our sights as a program and looked at such battles as the place we were meant to be, without fear or reservation. This is the arena we belong in, going against the best. If we are who we think we are, we don't need to slip into national contention because of a wussy schedule. The biggest memories from my playing days are always about the days we met our match (in a formidable and possibly superior opponent) and came out on top. It is never how I had a good day against an inferior team.
We have been on par with ND the last two decades that we have played them (sparingly) , I do not think anything has changed. You have to go back to the '70-'80s for there to be a huge difference.

Agree need to shut him down. But like Watson, if no pressure, can look phenomenal. Need to pressure and hit him. Hits begin to wear down the QB even as he maybe making completions. Not talking dirty play but pressure in the face causing hurries.
He will be less than spectacular when he is watching Justin from the vantage point of the Notre Dame sideline.

Jerry,
I noticed that they return 10 starters on Def and 9 on Off-so they have exp
this alone makes them dangerous if they get some confidence (my guess they will kill uva also), plus they are at home, I'm sure they will be favored and maybe for good reason
They might be favored, but the underlying reason for that (if it happens) will be the betting public still believes the ND mystique just as it believes the myth of the SEC. Perception is reality, until we beat the snot out of those fish-eating , bead jigglers.

Declinometer

Banned
They might be favored, but the underlying reason for that (if it happens) will be the betting public still believes the ND mystique just as it believes the myth of the SEC. Perception is reality, until we beat the snot out of those fish-eating , bead jigglers.

Maybe it's just me but disparaging Catholics is a little much. I'm sure there are many Catholic Jacket fans. That being said, I hope we embarrass the Fighting Irish.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how you can say that what ND did was "no different than GT did several times last year." Name 1, let alone several, pwr 5 opponent that we held to 3pts, let alone to less .3 ppd last year.

Now find one, let alone several, where we came close to that while scoring more than 3.1 ppd in the same game.

You are far too caught up in specifics when there are certainly games just as one sided that don't fit that specific criteria.

For fair comparison ND put up 3.45 ppd, not including the game ending drive, and .25ppd allowed.

Last year we held UVA to 1 ppd while hitting 3.5 ppd ourselves. The difference between 1 and .3 ppd just isn't that significant when games are out of hand like those games were.

Against NCSU. On our 7 drives that didn't result in the end of the game we scored 42 points. That's a 6 ppd. Defense allowed 2.3 ppd but scored 2 TDs of its own. That's a net of .9 ppd.

Against Clemson we scored 14 points on 8 drives not ending a half for a 1.75 ppd. Our last drive went 55 minutes and ended on 1st and 10 from their 15. That drive is as every bit as good as a TD. Including that in consideration the ppd is 2.6 ppd. Our defense outscored Clemson's Offense 14 to 6, which comes to about a -.8 ppd.

ND had a 3.2 ppd differential against Texas. We had 2.5 against UVA, 5.1 against NCSU, and 2.55 (or 3.4 if you included the last drive) against Clemson.

All 3 of those games were comparable in terms of one sidedness to the ND Texas game this year. Especially given the nature of our offense limits possessions and more possessions usually favors the better team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I say we have them right where we want them. They beat a "legacy" power house program and we only have beaten an FCS team. Assume this happens again , their locker room talk will be - " don't overlook ga tech on our March for the playoffs" . Ours will be something like " I am a true freshman and I came to GATech to play and beat teams like nd, Clem, va tech, miami, fsu, uga , I am ready to kick their xxx on NBC. "

Besides the emotion we are even faster than we were in last three games of 14.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You are far too caught up in specifics when there are certainly games just as one sided that don't fit that specific criteria.

For fair comparison ND put up 3.45 ppd, not including the game ending drive, and .25ppd allowed.

Last year we held UVA to 1 ppd while hitting 3.5 ppd ourselves. The difference between 1 and .3 ppd just isn't that significant when games are out of hand like those games were.

Against NCSU. On our 7 drives that didn't result in the end of the game we scored 42 points. That's a 6 ppd. Defense allowed 2.3 ppd but scored 2 TDs of its own. That's a net of .9 ppd.

Against Clemson we scored 14 points on 8 drives not ending a half for a 1.75 ppd. Our last drive went 55 minutes and ended on 1st and 10 from their 15. That drive is as every bit as good as a TD. Including that in consideration the ppd is 2.6 ppd. Our defense outscored Clemson's Offense 14 to 6, which comes to about a -.8 ppd.

ND had a 3.2 ppd differential against Texas. We had 2.5 against UVA, 5.1 against NCSU, and 2.55 (or 3.4 if you included the last drive) against Clemson.

All 3 of those games were comparable in terms of one sidedness to the ND Texas game this year. Especially given the nature of our offense limits possessions and more possessions usually favors the better team.

Thanks. While I typically ignore def scoring for my purposes, I accept the logic of your post. Now, would you agree that GT was top 10 caliber team by the time we played those games? Top 15?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. While I typically ignore def scoring for my purposes, I accept the logic of your post. Now, would you agree that GT was top 10 caliber team by the time we played those games? Top 15?

I would. Before you go on though I want to bring up the other half of the post you initially responded to.

ND is capable of beating us but we are capable of beating them. Nothing has significantly changed one way or the other since before these games.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hear what everyone is saying, but you have to remember, we are a different team every time we take the field and so are they. Should be fun.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would. Before you go on though I want to bring up the other half of the post you initially responded to.

Cool. I was reading "No Different" perhaps too literally. Also, in the context of others putting down Tx to lessen the significance of ND's performance, I inferred you were doing the same.

So, to be clear, you'e saying that you considered ND a legit top 10/15 team, and nothing's changed by that game?