North Carolina Postgame

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
UNC QB was really good; gonna be a handful for a few years. Their WRs too hand some great catches against very good coverage from our secondary.

4th down conversion Early 4th was the back breaker. We tip that ball and things may have been interesting.

Graham has a good feel for the passing game. Throws on time, understands route schemes, and throws a nice ball. Not sure how he isn’t the QB going forward. Oliver can play some wildcat/option and Wr

Had some opportunities in the first half. First drive we miss carter for a TD; then 2nd quarter post to Carter is a td if he hauls it in. Floater to Blancato was the only bad decision. I saw James make. Sanders showed his play making ability.

We get pushed Around on both lines and that’s the difference maker. Unfortunately i don’t see that changing in 2019.

Saw some improvement though. UNC probably has more Individual talent than anyone left on our schedule in conference. Hopeful we can pick one of the next two up on the road, Duke is winnable, and Miami is miami; then maybe another win in November against

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
It started as a tie which kept us in the game till they scored. The weather was nice for us fat guys. Both teams got 6 points for a TD so I thought that was nice. We scored 3 TD'S which was 2 more than I thought we would. Curry had 16 tackles which was nice. They scored more than us so that sucked. Traffic was good leave the game that was nice.

These are thoughts and it’s hard to disagree. Cheers.

kalld12

Banned
Main issue is a lack of pressure on the QB.

If I could like this 1000x I would. We are small on the DL, we get pushed around constantly. Running backs have holes a MACK truck could drive through. We need size, that’s coming. OL will all be 300lb + in the next 2-3 years. Hoping the DL follows suit, but that will be more of a challenge recruiting wise.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree. I’m sitting there screaming snap the ball ! I thought it was known at this level. I think it shows our line is thinking to much.

Our C is a walkon that probably never expected to play a meaningful college snap. He’s playing hard and improving. But he isn’t a savvy vet. I doubt we spend Much time the last 3 weeks getting him honed in on drawing penalties

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Anyone have thoughts on the actual game?
Defense:
disappointed in all the converted 3rd and longs by UNC, especially the same old slant over the middle
on two occasions (one for a TD and the other for a 1st down) we got out flanked by the numbers and left a receiver wide open. we should at least be able to line up correctly
one first down resulted from us not being anywhere near lined up when the ball was snapped
we have to start playing better against the run or we will continue to make it too easy for our opponent
our defensive left side has not covered the outside play well to their side the last two games
no pass rush at all
open field tackling is better than recent history
noticeable improvement by our MLB
a lot of good plays by our DBs and a few bad ones

Offense:
need to get pass plays to our playmakers ( Brown, Oliver, Carter). Almost no touches until the 4th Q
need to run more and get more touches to our good RBs, especially Mason
scored F on getting Oliver into the O. he had 3 touches until late in the 4th. this is a massive coaching failure. he is our best weapon and we did not use him
improvement from Graham but his inexperience and mistakes are killing drives. this will improve
OL what can you say except lets do something to make it easier for them. lets get Graham out of that collapsing pocket so he has a chance to make a play (moving pockets, rollouts, bootlegs)
no outside run threat or option pitch
no real misdirection threat
good discipline on getting few penalties

Overall we improved to the point of avoiding the usual embarrassment and only getting thoroughly whipped by better playing and better coaching. Most of the above opinions are related to defects in the coaching. I like the rotation of players but until our O improves to sustain drives our D will suffer.

And while I am ranting, and I have hardly started drinking, while I think the sentiment about the jerseys and capes today was nice.........we wear white jerseys and gold pants at home. With Dark numbers and Gold helmets. I find it funny that some think all this hype is what kids want. I haven't seen Oregon win a NC. Seems Alabama and Auburn are still wearing the same jerseys and colors they have since my first Tech game in 1969. I don't see money downs and dancing. All that would be great.....until you got your *** whupped by the Citadel.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
And while I am ranting, and I have hardly started drinking, while I think the sentiment about the jerseys and capes today was nice.........we wear white jerseys and gold pants at home. With Dark numbers and Gold helmets. I find it funny that some think all this hype is what kids want. I haven't seen Oregon win a NC. Seems Alabama and Auburn are still wearing the same jerseys and colors they have since my first Tech game in 1969. I don't see money downs and dancing. All that would be great.....until you got your *** whupped by the Citadel.

Drinking is literally the only thing making me able to handle all this. Do yourself a favor and keep a bottle of Bulleit close by for the next two years. Uniforms were great. My mom wasn’t a fan!

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Our C is a walkon that probably never expected to play a meaningful college snap. He’s playing hard and improving. But he isn’t a savvy vet. I doubt we spend Much time the last 3 weeks getting him honed in on drawing penalties

I’m not even saying it’s the center. Anyone on the line can make contact.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Compare a game in the last 15 years to what we saw today with a freshman qb and a 90 year old coach

Both USF last year and the bubble screens of doom vs miami 2 years ago were worse. Not sure what Macks age has to do with it. Isnt he like 2 or 3 years older than PJ?

Look, bottom line is I love Tech and Tech football. This year is hard to watch. I am not sure we hired the right coach and I am darn sure we have the wrong OC. Heck, O'Leary didn't get it going until 97 when CRF came back. The in 2001 we slumped when he left. We have got to come up with an offensive scheme to out smart other teams. We cannot out recruit. We will always hurt on D because we cannot recruit D lineman as they are frankly not smart enough to come to Tech. That is fact.

GTEE97

Georgia Tech Fan
Both USF last year and the bubble screens of doom vs miami 2 years ago were worse. Not sure what Macks age has to do with it. Isnt he like 2 or 3 years older than PJ?
I'm pretty sure we lost to USF last year because we allowed two returns for TDs?
And losing to Miami is never worse than losing to UNC in football.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
6 yrs older. Seems like more since he's been out of coaching for years

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
search is great. My theory always been they were going use the “warmup” gms to decide to settle on a QB. I never liked it but iiwii.

this a Graham’s offense now and we’ll try to get the ball in TO hands 5-10x per gm

Ballin, w/o watching the film what your impression of the 3rd down conversions ?

Was it all in the lack of pass rush or did you see a problem elsewhere ?