North Carolina Postgame

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
2 thoughts:

1) South Florida is a terrible team.
2) Betting the opponents spread is easy money this year - make a million and give it back to the GTAA.
I wonder if this is the GTAA idea of fundraising. Funny that we haven't covered a spread yet lol

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it was another week of offensive improvement, a few plays where effort may have been an issue with a WR but with that said it’s the defense that’s struggled the last two games. Our pass defense isn’t as good as I thought it would be.

Question to the board.

What is or was the issue with the pass defense ?

I feel like the issue is at LB. I mean I do understand that we have to have a pass rush but today on the 3rd and longs I’m not sure the LBs were dropping deep enough. I’m also not sure our corners are as good as advertised. Or is it the man defense on long 3rd downs ?

Can Thacker please insist that the corners blow up the edge blocking rather than trying to hand fight through it, on running plays ? One CB is always pushed downfield 10 yards as he hand fights with the blocker. Teams are running to the edge and our CBs could blow the blocking up if they came hard ( just my impression).

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it was another week of offensive improvement, a few plays where effort may have been an issue with a WR but with that said it’s the defense that’s struggled the last two games. Our pass defense isn’t as good as I thought it would be.

Question to the board.

I feel like the issue is at LB. I mean I do understand that we have to have a pass rush but today on the 3rd and longs I’m not sure the LBs were dropping deep enough. I’m also not sure our corners are as good as advertised. Or is it the man defense on long 3rd downs ?

Can Thacker please insist that the corners blow up the edge blocking rather than trying to hand fight through it, on running plays ? One CB is always pushed downfield 10 yards as he hand fights with the blocker. Teams are running to the edge and our CBs could blow the blocking up if they came hard ( just my impression).
Well, the secondary can only hold out so long. To get any pressure we're sending 6 and stunting. It's going to open holes up elsewhere. Need to drop some DL back in coverage more often rather than relying on overloading the protection. That's been working well when we do it.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone have thoughts on the actual game?
Yeah. I saw offensive improvement to build on. James Graham is the QB, the more he plays the better he will get.

Our defense is good, but they are on the field too long. They just get gassed because our offense is bad and goes three and out fairly quickly so then the other tram starts rolling on them.

Once we fix the offense, which I think will happen now that Graham is the starter, the defense will play better and we may pull out some wins. Having said that we need some serious pass rush improvement.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Question to the board.

Main issue is a lack of pressure on the QB.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I saw offensive improvement to build on. James Graham is the QB, the more he plays the better he will get.

Our defense is good, but they are on the field too long. They just get gassed because our offense is bad and goes three and out fairly quickly so then the other tram starts rolling on them.

Once we fix the offense, which I think will happen now that Graham is the starter, the defense will play better and we may pull out some wins. Having said that we need some serious pass rush improvement.

Graham helps, to be sure. I like him as our QB and he'll only get better. But we aren't going to fix the offense until we fix the OL.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

This has to be my main concern with the defense because it makes the secondary look bad. Giving a competent QB as much time as we gave Howell tonight on most of his +5 step drop backs, and they won’t have trouble finding the open receiver. Corners/safeties/LB’s simply can’t chase them around for that long. We have to design/execute better on the line to create some pressure. That was a large o line we went against but it’s not much different from what we’ll see the rest of the season.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
It is an issue, but I don't think that was all of it today. I seemed as though the player in motion was wide open on most plays. Screen, wheel, whatever there was nobody taking responsibility for him. If @Ibeeballin does an analysis of this game, I am interested in his opinion why that was.

I think you’re right. It seems like one of the two line backers who was responsible for the running back was always caught up in the pile and unable to recover and get outside to cover his man. Maybe biting too hard on the play action. Like you said, def interested in @Ibeeballin ’s breakdown.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Anyone have thoughts on the actual game?
It started as a tie which kept us in the game till they scored. The weather was nice for us fat guys. Both teams got 6 points for a TD so I thought that was nice. We scored 3 TD'S which was 2 more than I thought we would. Curry had 16 tackles which was nice. They scored more than us so that sucked. Traffic was good leave the game that was nice.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Well Dook looks terrible tonight so which is worse, thinking you are good when you aren’t or knowing you aren’t and playing to expectations

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Thoughts on going for 2 (thankfully it worked out) when we were down 13 - 24? Still would need two scores if we could have stoped them. Glad we saw a play call - jump pass - many on this board were clamoring for in that situation.