North Carolina Postgame

Deleted member 2897

So we have gone from a 7 win team to possibly a 1 win team. Last year with many of the same players on both sides we owned UNC. The difference, they got a coach and we got a cheerleader. Yep I am seeing that this staff has no idea what they are doing. You cannot out recruit at Tech. I expect we will be replacing the coaching staff in 2021. And before someone says oh we have to change the system. O'Leary took a 1 win pass happy team and won 5 games with the same personnel turning us into a running football team.

CGC can recruit circles around CPJ. CPJ can coach circles around CGC. Can significantly better players make up for that difference? We’re betting yes and we’ll find out in 2021. Looks like the coach doesn’t want us to play to our strengths, but rather let’s run the new playbook now even though we’re not ready.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Offense caught a little spark but that last TD was against their backups
This game was never in doubt after halftime, and I think unc knew that
Howell is good but he did miss some throws. This could have been worse. A lot worse.

I still think we have some decent skill people
I wonder how well we’re using them

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This intrigued me, so I looked it up. Here is the data since 1998:

View attachment 6887View attachment 6885

We currently have 31 punts, which is on pace for a total of 74 punts. WHile not he high since '98, it's definitely a spike. CPJs offense was good at reducing punts, whereas CCG punted often. The glimmer of hope is that under GOL we punted on par with CPJs O, so it's not tied specifically to system, but rather to efficiency.
Wow that Gailey offense jumps out

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait to hear how elite the UNC QB is....

He looked awful. Missed so many wide open receivers on countless occasions. Several plays where he made good throws and receivers made great catches.

Overall we are just completely outmatched on both lines.

Defensive line could only creat pressure and convert a sack when the snap was fumbled. Need to get more creative with pressures. Secondary can only cover receivers for so long until routs break down and they find open space.

O line was a nightmare whiffing on assignments and not being able to read stunts from their d-line. Looked like running back was having trouble figuring out who to help block as well.
Need to utilize misdirection on the o line and let Graham use his legs to get out of the pocket and make plays. That’s where we’ll pick up most yards through the air as well as graham running. Mason is electric and great in open space. Vision is so good.

Minus the deflating face-mask penalty - team seemed a lot more disciplined today.

This team might sneak one or two more wins this season. Will really need help with turnovers.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
The opening kickoff our guy flies down the field, has a clear tackle and instead of breaking down and making the tackle he flies by the ball carrier and tackles turf. This stuff drives me nuts and indicates a lack of coaching or player acumen. I’ve coached 6th graders who knew to break down and get balanced. We do this constantly.
YES, I am sure the coaching staff has never told them to break down and tackle the ball carrier, that must be it. These coaches must have been teaching hockey all ****ing summer since they got here.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He looked awful. Missed so many wide open receivers on countless occasions. Several plays where he made good throws and receivers made great catches.

Overall we are just completely outmatched on both lines.

Defensive line could only creat pressure and convert a sack when the snap was fumbled. Need to get more creative with pressures. Secondary can only cover receivers for so long until routs break down and they find open space.

O line was a nightmare whiffing on assignments and not being able to read stunts from their d-line. Looked like running back was having trouble figuring out who to help block as well.
Need to utilize misdirection on the o line and let Graham use his legs to get out of the pocket and make plays. That’s where we’ll pick up most yards through the air as well as graham running. Mason is electric and great in open space. Vision is so good.

Minus the deflating face-mask penalty - team seemed a lot more disciplined today.

This team might sneak one or two more wins this season. Will really need help with turnovers.
You thought UNC’s qb looked awful?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought he looked average. Not much different than Pickett at Pitt, though he will eventually be better.

VT's QB looked boom/bust, but he's really mobile. Miami's QB looked horrible, then Perry came in and almost brought them back. Duke is doing weird things. It's the ACC Coastal, none of these guys are elite, but I don't think UNC is much better than VT or Miami, and I don't think they're as good as Duke or good-day Pitt.

Actually think most of the Coastal is worse than last year, with the exception of UNC. Best chance for a win may be a soon-to-implode Miami.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

I’m not saying he should have had a 100% completion percentage but Im not sure I understand the hype behind him. He had all day in the pocket and couldn’t connect with a lot of open receivers.

Awful was an over exaggeration.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This team has no Ying and Yang. When one thing starts to work something else springs a leak. The defense was lucky that UNC dropped a few TD passes or they would have hung a half dollar on us. It just seems like this group finds a way to lose. If that does not change, we will end up 1 and 11. I was encouraged that we actually scored some offensive touchdowns. I was very frustrated by our inability to run the ball and our defensive ineptitude. For God's sake make a damn third down stop.

I still love the Yellow Jackets but I want to see them play like it means a hell of a lot more to them than they appear to be playing now.

Go Jackets!

I don't see a lack of effort at all - I thought the Jackets played hard. Defensive ineptitude, especially on third down, was due to a lack of pressure on their QB.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Offense caught a little spark but that last TD was against their backups
This game was never in doubt after halftime, and I think unc knew that
Howell is good but he did miss some throws. This could have been worse. A lot worse.

I still think we have some decent skill people
I wonder how well we’re using them
We should've lost by about 3 more TD's. Our secondary was getting whipped more than an Adrian Peterson kid.