No one out for VT, TM will start

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
CPJ will not be happy until GT has zero media coverage, there is no call in show and there are no fans at the game - all to go along with a raise and another extension

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
An important part of a reporters job IS to ask questions “they already know the answer to”. For multiple reasons:
1) Just because the reporter knows the answer to a question, or a forum posting fan knows the answer to a question, doesn’t mean the vast majority of fans who follow GT casually know the answer to the question.
2) To get the answer on the record.

And frankly, if the question is so easy to answer, why not just answer the question instead of getting all testy about it.

Reading the transcript again I realized that he actually didn't answer it. He said everyone is available, but when asked if Marshall would start he said, "I don't know. Why wouldn't he?" I don't hear an answer there. Then when pressed, he said something about not believing everything you hear. Again, not an answer. Most would see an implied answer, but it's not clear.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of comments. First CPJ is payed over $3MM yr, not $2.5MM.

Second, alot of this reminds me of what Navy fans mentioned when we first hired CPJ. They said fans will love him and his attitude when he is winning, but if the team is going through losing then his style will tend to grate on reporters and fans. That seems to be playing out.

FWIW, the reporter is just doing his job. I don't see it as a big deal on either side.

Let's just get a win tonight. 3-1 the last 4 yrs against VT, let's make that 4 out of 5.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if there is any other coach in the NCAA that has some of the same questions asked every week when it’s a question they know he won’t answer or questions that beat around the bush trying to trick an answer out of him. I don’t like how he acts either, but I can imagine it gets old. If you notice he normally does that with ridiculous questions (although not always)

This is the fault of whoever his managing his communications. His Comm Leader should be briefing reporters and "coaching" them to ask interesting questions and not the usual tripe. They can just prepare a sheet of answers to the common questions and refer them to that.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is the fault of whoever his managing his communications. His Comm Leader should be briefing reporters and "coaching" them to ask interesting questions and not the usual tripe. They can just prepare a sheet of answers to the common questions and refer them to that.
I mean regardless the reporters can ask what they want right?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I mean regardless the reporters can ask what they want right?

Sure. But there's no value to asking the same question every day. We would take notes of common questions asked and prepare one page briefs of those most common questions so the time can best be spent on asking insightful questions, questions readers/fans want to have answers to ... The message is, you don't have to just sit and take it ... you can train a group of reporters to ask interesting questions. If you want ...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have zero issues with Coach not wanting to disclose injury statue (beyond the customary information shared). I also would not take issue with him ignoring/shaming reporters for a "Hey Coach, what formations do you plan to run in what situations" question.

His job is to coach and prepare the boys for battle, not supply information to the opponent. The series of questions throughout the last few years from Ken on injuries is a nuisance at best and competitive disadvantage at worst.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I have zero issues with Coach not wanting to disclose injury statue (beyond the customary information shared). I also would not take issue with him ignoring/shaming reporters for a "Hey Coach, what formations do you plan to run in what situations" question.

His job is to coach and prepare the boys for battle, not supply information to the opponent. The series of questions throughout the last few years from Ken on injuries is a nuisance at best and competitive disadvantage at worst.
This. The people who cover us rarely ask interesting questions, don’t seem to know much about football, and are very repetitive. CPJ is obviously wouldn’t make it as a used car salesman, but our coverage sucks too. I have zero problem with his not giving direct answers to questions about injuries—why give VT any advantage?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This. The people who cover us rarely ask interesting questions, don’t seem to know much about football, and are very repetitive. CPJ is obviously wouldn’t make it as a used car salesman, but our coverage sucks too. I have zero problem with his not giving direct answers to questions about injuries—why give VT any advantage?

But he did give an answer about injuries - he said everyone was available. It was when he was asked whether TaQuon would start that he became evasive. He said, "I don't know. Why wouldn't he?" Then when it was mentioned that there were "indications" that Oliver would start, he said something about not believing everything you hear.

If he was going to field the question without technically answering it, but addressing it in such a way as to allow anyone to naturally infer that TaQuon would start, that's the way he would answer it. We'll know tonight when the offense takes the field whether he was being a smart*** or being clever.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But he did give an answer about injuries - he said everyone was available. It was when he was asked whether TaQuon would start that he became evasive. He said, "I don't know. Why wouldn't he?" Then when it was mentioned that there were "indications" that Oliver would start, he said something about not believing everything you hear.

If he was going to field the question without technically answering it, but addressing it in such a way as to allow anyone to naturally infer that TaQuon would start, that's the way he would answer it. We'll know tonight when the offense takes the field whether he was being a smart*** or being clever.

The problem with this is that it is important to have friends in the media. As they said, "Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel." If CPJ is a curmudgeon with the press, they are going to pull for him to get canned ... ultimately. Or, they could report something favorably. Compare "Duke Bests Tech in 28-14 Homecoming Win" vs. "Tech's Continued Woes Lead to Homecoming Rout".

If we need anything, we need positive press. Just my two cents.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Actually I think Ken has written some good stuff about us this year.

He has, 90 percent of what ken does is great, and im not entirely sure if the other 10 percent isn't directive from the Athens Journal that he has to do. But it's pretty scummy and not the first time he's done it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The problem with this is that it is important to have friends in the media. As they said, "Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel." If CPJ is a curmudgeon with the press, they are going to pull for him to get canned ... ultimately. Or, they could report something favorably. Compare "Duke Bests Tech in 28-14 Homecoming Win" vs. "Tech's Continued Woes Lead to Homecoming Rout".

If we need anything, we need positive press. Just my two cents.

I never said CPJ shouldn't have friends in the media. He certainly should, and he shouldn't be a curmudgeon. But this particular answer may not have been an example of that. A careful reading of his answer will reveal the possibility that Oliver might start. CPJ didn't actually say.

As I said, we'll find out whether he was being a smart*** or being clever.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m wondering if it’s possible to find on this board a thread that does not quickly degenerate into savaging the coach, the players, the school, or all of the above. To paraphrase an old saw, “with fans like ours you sure don’t need any freaking enemies”. Sheeeesh.....
I’m glad somebody else said something. This board has turned into the last one I frequented but had to leave because of exactly what you just stated. Anybody remember Bbuzzoff?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I never said CPJ shouldn't have friends in the media. He certainly should, and he shouldn't be a curmudgeon. But this particular answer may not have been an example of that. A careful reading of his answer will reveal the possibility that Oliver might start. CPJ didn't actually say.

As I said, we'll find out whether he was being a smart*** or being clever.

I didn't mean to suggest that you said anything of the sort. I did.

But it's easy to step aside that. All he has do is say, "Our team is healthy and ready to play. You'll see how our starter is on the first set of downs." End of story. He doesn't have to play rhetorical games. That's all.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m glad somebody else said something. This board has turned into the last one I frequented but had to leave because of exactly what you just stated. Anybody remember Bbuzzoff?
I got kicked off bbuzzoff (under a different nym) because I defended CPJ too much. While the atmosphere here is negative, it’s more reflective of the state of the program than whatever BBuzzoff was.

While I get what you’re saying, I don’t think they are similar at all. I do agree that the excessive negativity is drowning out nearly everything else, and am sorry to have contributed to some of that in this thread. I’ll probbaly avoid the negative comments in the future to play my part in reducing the negativity.