No one out for VT, TM will start

alagold

Helluva Engineer
So a guy leaves the game injured and the reporter asks the head ball coach if he will play against VT and Johnson gives another one of his smarmy answers. Tell us exactly how the reporter knows the answer to that question? (In law, don't ask a question you don't know the anser to. In journalism, it is how you learn things. Geez. It is a complete bafflement to me that a guy with his head coaching experience continues to shoot himself in the foot just to prove he can. I do dearly wish his public demeanor and professional courtesy matched his on-field coaching skills.

S,
I'm sorry but I need to interject SUPPOSED coaching skills on PJ.He has made a couple of terrible decisions in games that were a big part of our losses.Nobody is perfect but when you have a losing record and are suppose to have a WINNING record , there's a reason (or two).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah I think we need a new group of reporters covering GT football. Keep the coach, fire the reporters.

Go Jackets!

Sarcastic comment of the day, topped even mine.

Don't forget that journalists are enemies of the state. {deep sarcasm}

But back on topic, I'm glad that TM is ready to go. We'll see when he is chased how ready he is.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if there is any other coach in the NCAA that has some of the same questions asked every week when it’s a question they know he won’t answer or questions that beat around the bush trying to trick an answer out of him. I don’t like how he acts either, but I can imagine it gets old. If you notice he normally does that with ridiculous questions (although not always)

Part of the job. Saban can get away with it. He wins. CPJ can only retort with, “well, we practice it more than any team in the country and guys that have been playing 3 years still messed it up.”

CPJ is in no position to be a smarty pants.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I think we need a new group of reporters covering GT football. Keep the coach, fire the reporters.

Go Jackets!
Boy, that will fix the QB, fix the reads, fix the fumbles, fix it all. We got it! Fire the messenger! Get somebody in there who will write what the coach wants! Then nobody will notice the 3-4 record. If you win -- Mike Leach -- you are an irascible but charming eccentric. When you lose it is churlish and bullying. Johnson needs to stop both. Maybe the AD needs to tell him.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Boy, that will fix the QB, fix the reads, fix the fumbles, fix it all. We got it! Fire the messenger! Get somebody in there who will write what the coach wants! Then nobody will notice the 3-4 record. If you win -- Mike Leach -- you are an irascible but charming eccentric. When you lose it is churlish and bullying. Johnson needs to stop both. Maybe the AD needs to tell him.

I am fairly certain that was sarcasm. He just forgot to use the sarcasm font.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This is the quintessential smart *** answer:
"Asked if Marshall would start, Johnson replied, “I don’t know. Why wouldn’t he?”

Told that there were indications that backup Tobias Oliver might start, Johnson replied, “You know what? My dad used to tell me: Be careful. Don’t believe anything you hear and half of what you see, and you might be all right.

I get it that CPJ thinks he is funny or smarter than others. But he is paid $2.5M a year to win games AND represent GT. Being a smart *** doesn't meet the second criteria. He does win some games, but there are other posts for that.

Somebody must like to listen to boring press conferences...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’m wondering if it’s possible to find on this board a thread that does not quickly degenerate into savaging the coach, the players, the school, or all of the above. To paraphrase an old saw, “with fans like ours you sure don’t need any freaking enemies”. Sheeeesh.....

It’s going to be a long off-season. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the quintessential smart *** answer:
"Asked if Marshall would start, Johnson replied, “I don’t know. Why wouldn’t he?”

Told that there were indications that backup Tobias Oliver might start, Johnson replied, “You know what? My dad used to tell me: Be careful. Don’t believe anything you hear and half of what you see, and you might be all right.

I get it that CPJ thinks he is funny or smarter than others. But he is paid $2.5M a year to win games AND represent GT. Being a smart *** doesn't meet the second criteria. He does win some games, but there are other posts for that.
I think CPJ just doesn't like being prodded to reveal information that would help our opponent game plan for us (e.g. our starting QB being out) if he doesn't have to. They always ask him about injuries, and he's always reluctant to give any information.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
My take is that CPJ was irked by Ken alluding to sources telling him that TM status was in doubt. If there was an issue you were playing close to the vest (which could have a big impact on how VT might prep for the game), you'd be upset if someone leaked info to media about it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is not the only coach that gives these types of responses. And anyone getting butthurt about a coach giving a straight answer needs to get over their millennial selves. We have never given injury updates prior to the IR unless it was a season or career ending one. Ken has a very bad habit of chasing injury stories so much so he burned a bridge just to report on it. Because we are georgia tech he's still covering us. If that had been alabama or clemson his *** would have a new job.

Face it it doesn't matter who our coach is or has been we won't get a fair shake form the dawg media.

Even Dabo dodges injury questions and he does it the same way CPJ does.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
It would be nice if the reporters that cover us would not ask questions they already know the answer to and start the damn question with a very timid " I imagine"
An important part of a reporters job IS to ask questions “they already know the answer to”. For multiple reasons:
1) Just because the reporter knows the answer to a question, or a forum posting fan knows the answer to a question, doesn’t mean the vast majority of fans who follow GT casually know the answer to the question.
2) To get the answer on the record.

And frankly, if the question is so easy to answer, why not just answer the question instead of getting all testy about it.