No heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I stand with CPJ even if we go 2-10.

2 awesome seasons, 2 good seasons, 2 OK seasons, and one below averafe season and one bad seasons is more than acceptable.

Listen to his presser, he knows he needs to get better.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
How can the offense get fixed when we can't even pinpoint what the issue is? When CPJ uses words like "inept", which is exactly what we all saw, then how can that be resolved midseason? An overall ineptness is not just an issue in one or two areas.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
It is frustrating....I am somewhat offended by the nature if this thread... The team does have heart and plays with great effort...

Maybe too much misguided effort... ie all these injuries.

The team has good young talent ...Gray...Mitchell...Marshall...and others (some who are injured)...unfortunately there is most likely no quick fix...hard work and time= experience and toughness...this is nothing new we shall wait for those factors to come into alignment and be relevant...soon...

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
There are few words to describe the complete meltdown this year. I think there is a combination of causes, not simply 1 or 2. I can see why some people believe many on the team mentally check-out during some of these games. The UNC fail-from-ahead loss at home was just back-breaking in my opinion.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't say these player don't have heart. I have been there as a college football player and they are busting their butts ever day and every play to win. The biggest problem I have is CPJ blasting his players publicly and not taking much of blame himself or his staff The time to talk about your players is in team and position meeting and film sessions. Keep it within the family.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest problem I have is CPJ blasting his players publicly and not taking much of blame himself or his staff. The time to talk about your players is in team and position meeting and film sessions. Keep it within the family.

I don't see that changing. He's been that way since he's been here.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
We're not good mentally, we beat Duke and UNC today's game is a lot closer.

You speculate quite a bit. If... If... If... They haven't beaten a quality team this year. Duke and UNC are better than GT. That's why we lost to them . This team looks pathetic right now. The facts are the facts. Amazing how some can only see the mental break downs and not the physical deficiencies.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This team is terrible. Plain and simple. I don't think offensive scheme is the problem as much as execution (defense is a different story...both are bad)...but that doesn't lie entirely on the players. It's the coaching staff's job to get these kids ready to play, and they're doing a piss poor job of it right now.

First, we are horrible and blocking and tackling. Maybe we should drop the scheme part of practice and just work on those fundamentals this week.

Second, our defensive scheme against these spread teams does not put our players in position to make plays. The coverage cushions are ridiculous.

...but all you guys b****ing about "continued mediocrity" need to get a life. We just won 11 games and the Orange Bowl and were probably a play or two away from beating FSU to win the ACC....holy crap you guys are impossible to please.

Look...Clemson is a very good team. We probably weren't going to Win yesterday even with our best effort. If we had found a way to beat Duke and UNC things wouldn't look all that bad...but that didn't happen...so here we are.

If we lose next week I think the team will lay down and be lucky to get one more win. If we win...maybe we can at least get some players to improve a little bit and build some of our young talent.

Bowl streak is over...our bowl game now lies on November 28th in Atlanta...

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Playing ACC basketball is a little tougher than playing ACC football. Neither situation is acceptable in my opinion. But why have the AD's continued to give extensions in both sports?

Because too many in the fan base give a damn only about beating UGA 2 times out of 10 and then acting like We Run This State when we win. Because too many of our engineering grads are too freaking stupid to realize that creating an athletic friendly major will not damage their degree. If you think that the athletic majors at Stanford damages their engineering degrees then you have lost your mind.

Truth - the game has changed over the past 60 years and it is no longer about student athletes, it is a minor league system for the pros. This is 100% a Jimmy's and Joes issue and you simply can not attract talent that wants to play on Sunday to our system and with our academic options.

So the question is what do you want more? Me, I a freaking sick of this type of crap, 6-6 with a long bowl streak is not success, it is accepting mediocrity.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Concerning the players, I still respect the hell out of them for coming to GT and trying to do it all.
We suck this year but that is what happens for teams with a lack of depth and lots of injuries. My defintion of suck is we are now 57th with a .586 power ranking. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2015.htm

Wish we had a coach other than Johnson? Really? Get a grip.
image.png

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I just want to apologize for the title of this thread. It was made out of pure frustration. I played basketball in college and know what it's like to go through something like this. I'm truly disgusted that I would question any student athletes heart. I know I wouldn't want mine questioned when I played. It was a poor choice of wording, a lot of frustration and some alcohol that lead to me making it. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone with it. But like everyone else I'm at a loss for words as to what is going on with this team right now. If we can beat Pitt that should give them some confidence going forward and hopefully get this thing turned around. All it takes in sports on any level is one win. Confidence with 18-22 year old athletes goes along way.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Three things.

1) The CPJ blames the kid myth is just unfounded. He explicitly says in the post game pressers each week that he and the coaches have to do a better job of preparing the kids. Guys are missing blocks and reads, playing the wrong assignment and sometimes even play call on reads and checks, and frankly having mental breakdowns. I think a lot of that is based on the injuries to the gear box of this system (the Aback) which have the motor (QB) struggling and trying to run too hot to keep momentum and make up ground.

We don't have an experienced steady hand to trust the QB spot to for CPJ to sit Jet a series and coach him up or show him defensive tendencies which historically we have done frequently when a QB gets out of synch. This has hurt us a lot. The reality is the guys are not executing which is both on them and the staff and coaches. At least to my mind, as a guy who's played many team sports, CPJ has spread the blame appropriately.

2) The players have no heart myth I guess some of you guys just want to be down on the team. That's a reaction that is easy to explain but hard to excuse. Be an adult. Be a man about it. Keep your head. These are a bunch of young men who literally give their mind, body and HEART for the Institure in ways most of us never will. They sacrifice their bodies and in MANY cases get no financial payoff for it. They do it because they love the game and they represent this school proudly. They have kept their hearts in it throughout these loses and in the face of adversity not just from highly skilled and motivated opponents, but from within their own ranks as well when the "fans" among us disparage their efforts.

We are not playing good football right now. No one with a reasonable understanding of the game nor a modicum of self respect will argue that point. So there it is, out in the open. We have a lot of work left to do to get better. To suggest otherwise would be both patently untrue and wholly unrealistic.

3) Firing the coach foolishness is just that. I continue to count myself as a CPJ and CTR fan. How many times did the defensive backs credit coaching and practice for their timely turnovers last season? How many young guys do we have playing meaningful reps (albeit not doing it at the level they themselves certainly want to be at) which will lead us to a rebuilt and retooled team next season. How many times have we seen coaches on the opposite side of CPJ show no ability to stop death marches and quick hit home runs. This team lost HUGE components of the Offense and is fighting injuries and untimely penalties (Gotsis last week) that undoubtably have led to some painful loses.

I get it. Coaching is a job and we want to hold coaches accountable for their team's performance. We should continue to do that. I'm an extremely competitive person in a highly competitive job and have zero patience for people intentionally not operating at their highest potential and sluffing off work. I also value the need of coaching and developing people and see CPJ and CTR doing both those things with this team.

At the end of the day this has been an ugly sequence of games both on and off the field, but we all need to step back and get some perspective. We played some highly capable teams and have had some significant injuries and losses of personnel; when that happens it can get bad in a hurry. Let's not take it out on each other or the team or the staff but instead, all of us, focus and be better.

Represent the Institue like it matters, because it does.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, but we are expecting a competitive team. A team that can play decent defense and punt the ball without having a panic attack every time. Oh, and being able to complete a pass now and then would be helpful too.

The only game that hasn't been competitive is the Clemson game. Even the ND game, where we stalled many times on offense, the D was making stops against a top ten offense. Clemson's top ten defense and our decimated starting lineup were a mismatch from the beginning. We got the results any rational person would have predicted. We're a bad football team this year. It's not the end of the world.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I gotta believe being up 21 zip to unc has got to be a killer for the squad. The guys have no confidence right now. I hope players don't decide to jump ship now with a Vad Lee mentality. To much youth and to many injuries has killed the offense. Players on D not stepping up hasn't helped the cause either. Best players on D yesterday was Mitchell and Gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.