No heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Wow - am I the only one who remembers that this year was supposed to be a struggle because of all the experience we lost and the vicious schedule? Sure, we all raised our hopes after such an excellent year we had last year. At the same time, most realistic fans knew that our hopes were tied to next year when the younger players and the good recruiting class could be brought up to speed. Then add on the unusual amount of injuries we've had to the lack of experience we knew would be the case, and we get what we see now.

I am NOT a blind CPJ fan, but I like what he has done overall - and I don't just mean wins and losses. He started with limits on scholarships, he has brought a competitive fire, he recruits and keeps only true student athletes, and our grad rate is well above average. But I don't think he has been at his best this season. Gripe about it all you want, but who can be sure that if we dump Johnson there is another coach that would do better? And recognize that the injuries effect his ability to direct a game plan just as much as it does for the athletes. Beware of what you hope as I remember when so many wanted to bring in He Who Shall Not Be Named when Ross left instead of promoting O'Leary because we needed something new.

But this thread starts by questioning the heart of our athletes and that's a different story. I am PROUD to root for them every week win or lose. How would we react in the same situation? If I prepare my best for a presentation that matters an extreme amount to my career and on the day I stand in front of the potential client key members of my team are absent due to illness - yet my competition has all hands on deck - I might show some fairly negative body language as they take the job. These young men give their heart every week at a level we fans can never experience. I'm tired of every time we struggle seeing empty seats in our stadium, hearing how lousy our coaches are, and especially carping about our players. This is my TEAM, and I take this kinda personal.

So are we supposed to be okay with 2-4? I don't get it. Oh wait I do. 90 percent of Tech fans were not athletes in school. So they think when someone gets criticized you're being "mean" grow up. The man is paid 3 million a year to win football games. Stop making excuses for the man.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
A bunch of little boys that are grown men in age on here. We will get better on offense and the offense isn't the problem. Our defense needs to at SOME point, step up and win a game for us. When Alabama's offense played like **** last year against Arkansas their defense won the game and they got the W 14-13. We never have that and never will with Ted roof. He needs to go and I hated the hire from the beginning. The offense can, and will work, but the combination of injuries and having to replace every single skill position player has really hurt us. I think we will still win 6 games this year and we will be better next year if we hire a new DC. We have no excuse to be as bad as we are on defense. Just atrocious.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Look plain and simple if we were undefeated right now people would be praising CPJ like last year.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
So are we supposed to be okay with 2-4? I don't get it. Oh wait I do. 90 percent of Tech fans were not athletes in school. So they think when someone gets criticized you're being "mean" grow up. The man is paid 3 million a year to win football games. Stop making excuses for the man.

Again, I think CPJ is, or should be, able to handle the criticism. I didn't make excuses for him, I just said I'm still overall in his corner. You may have noticed I said I don't think he's been at his best this year.

My big problem is this thread is entitled "No Heart." That's not directed to CPJ. It's directed to our players. I don't see it. And I don't understand why a fan would speak it on a forum if they did.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Yikes, what an ugly thread. Look, we totally dodged the injury bug last year by some miracle. This year, we haven't been as fortunate. Discounting the amount of players who went down today, we're way down on the depth chart at A-Back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are playing two walkons, two true freshman, a redshirt freshman, and a converted DB, right? It's an unfortunate scenario, but it can't be helped. And for those asking why we extended Johnson in the first place, you have to remember that it's very, very difficult to recruit a player that knows you're on the way out of the door in 1-2 years. With the improved recruiting and on-field results, it was definitely the logical move. On paper and before the injuries, we looked to repeat success this year.

The way I see it, we have four winnable games left: VT, Miami, Pitt, and UVA. Need to get all 4 for the bowl streak to continue. I understand that people are upset after today, but Clemson seriously seems like the hardest team on our schedule. A true championship contender. Let's just see how the rest of the season goes before we start chopping heads.

Are you kidding about the extension ? Damn
Yikes, what an ugly thread. Look, we totally dodged the injury bug last year by some miracle. This year, we haven't been as fortunate. Discounting the amount of players who went down today, we're way down on the depth chart at A-Back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are playing two walkons, two true freshman, a redshirt freshman, and a converted DB, right? It's an unfortunate scenario, but it can't be helped. And for those asking why we extended Johnson in the first place, you have to remember that it's very, very difficult to recruit a player that knows you're on the way out of the door in 1-2 years. With the improved recruiting and on-field results, it was definitely the logical move. On paper and before the injuries, we looked to repeat success this year.

The way I see it, we have four winnable games left: VT, Miami, Pitt, and UVA. Need to get all 4 for the bowl streak to continue. I understand that people are upset after today, but Clemson seriously seems like the hardest team on our schedule. A true championship contender. Let's just see how the rest of the season goes before we start chopping heads.
dude , it's not like Johnson bringing in top teir talent! Johnsons seat should start warming up after this season (2-10 at best 4-8). Roof will be the D cord next year and we will get the same results that we have always had with him. I AM Predicting as of 10-10-15 that CPJ will be fired at the end of next season or 2017.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Are you kidding about the extension ? Damn

dude , it's not like Johnson bringing in top teir talent! Johnsons seat should start warming up after this season (2-10 at best 4-8). Roof will be the D cord next year and we will get the same results that we have always had with him. I AM Predicting as of 10-10-15 that CPJ will be fired at the end of next season or 2017.
Tech will never bring in top tier talent. I believe Dodd even wrote in his book 30 years ago that recruiting at Georgia Tech has always been difficult. You can't deny that recruiting has improved, last year's class was one of the best in the last 20 years. In fact, Roof being such a great recruiter may be the only reason we keep him around for a few more years. We have true freshman on the field who are effectively supplanting our older players. Like I said, everything looked great on paper going into this season. Denying an extension would have been an incredibly dumb move at the time. Even Eric said a top donor told him that he almost pulled support because of the CPJ and Gregory mishaps (nearly no extension and no firing, respectively).

It doesn't seem like you're taking finances into account with a lot of your predictions. We simply do not have the ability to fire CPJ any time soon. And even if we could by some miracle pull together the funds, who do we hire as a replacement? Would have to be a proven coach at a smaller school (which was CPJ) because GT is definitely not an alluring job for any other P5 coach. Not to mention we have a cupboard full of option players. Not a lot of systems have use for ten 5'9" 185 lb RBs on roster. Last year proved to me that with the right players in the right spots, we can be nearly unstoppable (.999 efficiency last year). Though with our injuries at key positions, there's really nothing we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.