NFL Draft

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I mean I understand the guy who wrote that probably grew up out west and hasn't had any interaction with Tech. But a simple 5 seconds Google search would tell him correct information to include in his story.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
My buddy was drafted by the Titans in the 4th round and got a $330K signing bonus. That was before they slotted draft picks though. If Waller got $110K in the 6th round, Smelter REALLY helped with bringing up that average salary for Business Majors from GT...

Techster who's your friend, I spent the last 10 years in Nashville.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
tempRTL11518--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2...9b5f8a8a#f02c4e6c-a509-4f4a-b32b-4d189c95ec7c

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, is he not in fact correct? I thought there was some sort of big deal made of that a couple of years back.
No, he is not correct. In a nutshell...

Georgia Tech and Georgia Institute of Technology are the trademarked names of GT. Yes, we are a "research "u"niversity," but no where in any desscription of GT is "U"niversity used.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No, he is not correct. In a nutshell...

Georgia Tech and Georgia Institute of Technology are the trademarked names of GT. Yes, we are a "research "u"niversity," but no where in any desscription of GT is "U"niversity used.
Okay, and I am not being smarmy, but then why bother with university at all? My long-time understanding of "university" vs. "college" or I suppose "institute" is the multiplicity of course offerings and majors over the educational spectrum. If that didn't change, then again, why?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're asking why we get up in arms when someone uses "Georgia Tech University," then the answer is "it's not the name of our school, and the lazy sports journalist should know that." If it's why we're an Institute instead of a University, then it is about courses of study.

It comes down to knowing what the name of your school is (or isn't). It is lazy journalism for that reporter (and his copy editor) to assume that Georgia Tech is "Georgia Tech University," especially when it can be verified within 20 seconds.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're asking why we get up in arms when someone uses "Georgia Tech University," then the answer is "it's not the name of our school, and the lazy sports journalist should know that." If it's why we're an Institute instead of a University, then it is about courses of study.

It comes down to knowing what the name of your school is (or isn't). It is lazy journalism for that reporter (and his copy editor) to assume that Georgia Tech is "Georgia Tech University," especially when it can be verified within 20 seconds.
So you would say that "I didn't go to a university. I went to Ga. Tech"? And take a deep breath. I'm just picking at you. I understand your distinction and have no problem with it. I much prefer your version frankly but still can't understand messing with university, then. "I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Ga. Tech University" really doesn't ring, does it? As for the second point, lazy journalists, I don't think so. I think it is untrained journalists and no copy editors because the people who own the free presses have bought and sold their plants so much they can't afford to keep anybody on the payroll anymore. Even if they wanted to and publishers, speaking of it, have no want-to. Sad for the country but there it is. Read a blog as they say.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No harm. I just wasn't sure I was answering the right question.

I really don't make much of a distinction. My wife is from Ireland and they use "university" like we in the U.S. use "college." "Where'd you go to college?" "Georgia Tech." "Are you going to university?" "Yes, Georgia Tech."

If someone were to ask me what university I went to, I'd say Georgia Tech. My C.V. says Georgia Institute of Technology, just like my diplomas do.

Regardless of whether the reporter is improperly trained, ignorant or just lazy, there's no excuse for any sports reporter using the term "Georgia Tech University."

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is a research university within the University System of Georgia but the name is the Georgia Institute of Technology. It is really simple...it can be referred to as a university but when named it should be Georgia Tech or Georgia Institute of Technology. A reputable sports writer should know that.

Its kinda of like John is a boy but you don't call him John Boy unless his last name is Walton :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is a research university within the University System of Georgia but the name is the Georgia Institute of Technology. It is really simple...it can be referred to as a university but when named it should be Georgia Tech or Georgia Institute of Technology. A reputable sports writer should know that.

Its kinda of like John is a boy but you don't call him John Boy unless his last name is Walton :)

This. Before curriculum expansion and name change, UCF was Florida Technological University, FTU. I don't ever remember it even being called Florida Tech, although I guess that was possible. However, I suspect that even they would have frowned at Florida Tech University. There are those who get bothered when people call GT a university. I'm not one of them and agree with those who say it's a research university.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This. Before curriculum expansion and name change, UCF was Florida Technological University, FTU. I don't ever remember it even being called Florida Tech, although I guess that was possible. However, I suspect that even they would have frowned at Florida Tech University. There are those who get bothered when people call GT a university. I'm not one of them and agree with those who say it's a research university.

I only get bothered when it's people who should know better, i.e sports writers. I'm sure those same sportswriters wouldn't enjoy being told they write for the Atlanta Journal-Gazelle or whatever name-variation of their employer. If we're called Georgia Tech University by someone who doesn't know any better then it's not a big deal. It's not the word University that I don't like - it's the principle that some reporters are being lazy and non factual when writing about my school in a public forum and profiting off that work.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I suspect there are significant differences in the manner of governance between an "Institute" and a "University." I am not actually sure what they are but maybe Dr Jacket knows (at least I have the impression he is a professor at Tech)?

However, to call a place a university all that it needed is that the place has more than one "college." Tech certainly has multiple "colleges" with there own at least logically separable governance (Deans) and structures. Then they are governed as a group through a higher level of institutional hierarchy.

Here we typically speak of "where we went to college." In Europe they typically say where they attended "uni" as in university. I agree that the real issue is using University as part of the name for Tech.