NFL Draft

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It bugs the heck out of me but there is no denying that being a "university" is ubiquitous.
Not sure how you mean that, but if by the common definition you mean "common", a lot of people on this thread disagree with you and some of them in a kind of ill temper about it. RLR did a really thorough piece up top, explaining it all. (Or at least to me.) I think "university" will be in "common" use when the football scores are listed as such. You see that happening? There are some great brands in college football, for sure: I can't make it but envy those on the board who will be in South Bend when competing bands crank up "Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech" and "Notre Dame Victory March". Makes the hair on my arms stand up just thinking about it), Southern Cal (though USC grads detest it), Alabama, Wisconsin and more, clearly. I have some GT grads as friends, why I don't know, though I suspect it is the common interests of detesting Georgia and loving GT football. I promise you they will never announce themselves as graduates of Georgia Tech University. Sooner trade school than that. If, on the other hand, you mean every school wants to be a "university," well, maybe.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I mean you can say that's what happened all you want but it's way more nuanced than that. The reason Kaepernick spent the offseason working on his touch and accuracy (also changed up his throwing mechanics) is because Kaepernick has always had issues with his touch and accuracy. His struggles there have been there since day one. They haven't been exacerbated by the lack of running they just stopped being masked. Also, the amount of zone read they ran in previous seasons is overstated. They didn't use it significantly less last year than the years prior. What was different was that Kaepernick didn't run when the yardage was there while dropping back to pass. That was probably something the coaches told him to do and no one can be sure why. But I don't think he wasn't the problem. Combine that with our O-line playing like trash, our only vertical threat having an awful year, and bad play calling/scheme and you get the 28th ranked offense.

I follow that blog so I've read that before. I've also seen all those plays live. Like I said he's got stuff to work on. I never said he was part of the NFL elite. He could be but he's not there yet. Sometimes you get throws like that from him. It's why he's worked on what he did this offseason. And sometimes you get plays no one else can make. It tends to balance out over the course of the season. Are you trying to imply he's not NFL starter material? Because I'd strongly disagree. Other than that I can't argue that he doesn't need to really improve on what's written in there.

They really didn't change all that much other than telling him not to scramble. The defense covered up a lot of the offensive issues, and there were A LOT that were ignored due to the team's success, that were present for Harbaugh's entire tenure. They finally came to a head last year and were compounded by injuries. The narrative about abandoning tthe zone read isn't representative of what actually happened.

It's going to be very interesting. Although I think after watching him a few years Harbaugh's "QB whisperer" persona is a little overstated. Kaep's development really stalled the last year or so. His old QB coach is now the OC so that should help the transition a bit. And Harbaugh wasn't infallible. I've said it like six times so far but his offenses had major issues down to the schematic level no one talked about until they blew up in our face. Overall I think he'll be ok. He's been around the block a few times at this point. Whether he progresses or not we shall see. But even if he doesn't I'd say he's a solid NFL QB all things considered when you look at his contract and the state of the QB position around the league.

Anyway, sorry for the novel I could rant about this for hours. It's been beaten to death in 49er circles.

Saw this article, and for some reason I remembered our dialogue about it after the draft:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...no-idea-what-theyre-doing-not-at-all/?ref=yfp

You still feeling the same way Kaepernick without Harbaugh? Harbaugh seems to be doing OK at UM using a retread ex-Iowa QB...I'm not so sure I'd say the same thing about Kaep and the 49ers.

I think Kaep is a good talent, unfortunately, 49ers management and ownership...well, I'll just say they have company with the Redskins and Raiders.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Saw this article, and for some reason I remembered our dialogue about it after the draft:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...no-idea-what-theyre-doing-not-at-all/?ref=yfp

You still feeling the same way Kaepernick without Harbaugh? Harbaugh seems to be doing OK at UM using a retread ex-Iowa QB...I'm not so sure I'd say the same thing about Kaep and the 49ers.

I think Kaep is a good talent, unfortunately, 49ers management and ownership...well, I'll just say they have company with the Redskins and Raiders.
It takes 4 years for players to realize Harbaugh is a lunatic. Luckily in college they graduate.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It takes 4 years for players to realize Harbaugh is a lunatic. Luckily in college they graduate.
I know a guy who heard a guy who worked on his staff at Stanford go way, way, beyond jerk. I mean, way beyond. The particular football staff he was talking to thought it was funny but they didn't work for him, either.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure there is any line between them with Harbaugh. Seriously.

We're seeing it play out with Chip Kelly now in Philly as well.

In college, you have almost complete control of the players. If they don't do what you say to a "T", you can pull their scholly, run them to death in practice to they leave, or just bury them on the depth chart. In the NFL, guys have multi-million $$$ contracts. Good luck benching a guy making millions of dollars a year regardless of whether you play him. You can trade him, but who does that hurt? Apparantly Chip Kelly would rather cut his nose to spite his face.

Harbaugh was obviously successful in the Pros, and if he chose to go back to the NFL, he'd have multiple teams lining up for his services. But he's probably better off in the college game. Guys like Harbaugh, Kelly, Bobby Petrino...they like total control. Not gonna get that in the NFL.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Super late response but I'm not ducking you. I promise. I broke my finger and typing is a pain in the *** so I don't feel like typing out all my thoughts.