Next DC

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Could one of you Defensive gurus take an App State game of recent years and do a Defensive breakdown as to what we could expect if Nate comes to Tech?
Sort of like @Longestday does for offense, but on the defensive side. If this has already been shown, I apologize and would like to be pointed to the particular posts.
Thanks in advance

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I've never been more excited about a coaching hire for us than Nate Woody. The guy has been a consistent winner, loyal, well respected, and he runs an aggressive and decisive scheme that utilizes players in a way that suits our recruiting capability.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I am just a regular fan, not an Xs and Os guru, but the Roof years just seemed to be an enigma to me. I know there are some on this board who decry over-generalizations and demand examples or empirical evidence, but I have none. I am the guy you might be sitting next to at a game, who, after we would score to take the lead with 40 seconds left, would sadly comment that we left too much time on the clock for the other team.

It has just seemed to me - an average guy without much football acumen - that our defensive players often seemed too small or not fast enough or too far off the line or too slow to react or too unwilling to tackle aggressively or too lacking in swagger and confidence or too unmotivated or not used to their best potential in the various positions and defensive schemes. I know we have talent; I think we just need to exploit that talent.

I really like Ted Roof and I appreciate all that he represents and has done as a Tech man, but sometimes it just takes a new Sheriff in town to clean things up. Here's hoping that the new DC can rearrange the pieces, inspire his players and create havoc, excitement, fun and confidence. I, for one, would like for Tech to again be feared more for its defensive prowess than for its cut-blocking and alleged "high school" offense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I am just a regular fan, not an Xs and Os guru, but the Roof years just seemed to be an enigma to me. I know there are some on this board who decry over-generalizations and demand examples or empirical evidence, but I have none. I am the guy you might be sitting next to at a game, who, after we would score to take the lead with 40 seconds left, would sadly comment that we left too much time on the clock for the other team.

It has just seemed to me - an average guy without much football acumen - that our defensive players often seemed too small or not fast enough or too far off the line or too slow to react or too unwilling to tackle aggressively or too lacking in swagger and confidence or too unmotivated or not used to their best potential in the various positions and defensive schemes. I know we have talent; I think we just need to exploit that talent.

I really like Ted Roof and I appreciate all that he represents and has done as a Tech man, but sometimes it just takes a new Sheriff in town to clean things up. Here's hoping that the new DC can rearrange the pieces, inspire his players and create havoc, excitement, fun and confidence. I, for one, would like for Tech to again be feared more for its defensive prowess than for its cut-blocking and alleged "high school" offense.

Good post. I'll settle for being as feared on D as for our cut blocking high school offense. We'd be in pretty good territory then.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Totally agree. I love CTR as a person. I always his thought 'bend don't break' concept had potential to work well to complement our offense. Make the other team short-gain down the field. Keep the clock running. Hawk the ball and tighten up when you get them into 3rd and long. Problem was, there was never a second gear. The defense never seemed to have the ability (or willingness?) to go out of a soft cushion and go for the kill. We'd have a team in 3rd and long, or even 4th and long, and play soft coverage behind the line to gain.

I for one am excited to see what an aggressive mentality brings out in the players we've been holding back in a better-safe-than-sorry scheme. I wanna see AJ Gray turned loose to go hit some fools.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Haven't watched enough of App St, but I'm hoping for a mixture of a tenuta D and the typical Saban defense(minus the 5 stars). Disciplined where everyone does there job, but blitz/attack heavy.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I thought our blitzes on 3rd down were generally ineffective all year. We also seemed to get our edge rushes tied up without any outside leverage to force QB up into the pocket. Soft coverage gave easy quick throws without time to get DL out of blocks. Appeared the strategy was to not get beat over the top and as they got into the red zone the area compressed making pass coverage easier. We weren't bad but without a dominant O this year we lost some games we could have won.