Next DC

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't. Groh left us with lots of NFL talent. Our last two real defensive superstars in Attouchu and Gotsis were his guys as well as a ton of other really good players. Groh had a mountain of faults, but that guy had an eye for under the radar talent. We'll have to see how the last class shakes out, but AJ really looks like the only upperclassmen that will get an NFL shot right now. Anree maybe if he has another big year.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Woody will have some physical guys to work with.

I’m a little confused though lol

Nothing really to be confused about. Ted coached them up, and they went to war for him every game. With that said, I expect them to do the same for Woody, but talent is a limiting factor. Effort was NEVER an issue with CTR, in my opinion. I don't expect it to be with our new DC either.

slugboy

Staff member
Good post. I'll settle for being as feared on D as for our cut blocking high school offense. We'd be in pretty good territory then.
I'd be happy if opposing coaches had to work 3/4ths as much prepping for our defense as prepping for our offense. They only have so much prep time and idea time to go around.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Nothing really to be confused about. Ted coached them up, and they went to war for him every game. With that said, I expect them to do the same for Woody, but talent is a limiting factor. Effort was NEVER an issue with CTR, in my opinion. I don't expect it to be with our new DC either.
Being physical doesn’t mean effort. I don’t doubt effort. Also wouldn’t coaching up mean the D would have exceeded what their talent level would indicate? Yet we were constantly playing below our talent level imo. That’s because of scheme though imo. Also being physical isn’t something that’s really coached, for the most part you have it or you don’t, but this is a different discussion for a different thread.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Being physical doesn’t mean effort. I don’t doubt effort. Also wouldn’t coaching up mean the D would have exceeded what their talent level would indicate? Yet we were constantly playing below our talent level imo. That’s because of scheme though imo. Also being physical isn’t something that’s really coached, for the most part you have it or you don’t, but this is a different discussion for a different thread.
We seemed more physical because we ran head long into the blockers who out weighed us by 50#. The best center guard blitz was when the 2 lb and the safety delayed blitz into the same gap. I think the ol held hands and sang rover red rover. No doubt on the leg and heart strength, but the scheme was lacking in head strength.

We got the dl players for a slanting defense. Also with some experience at lb we could hurry the qb while our new cb s are coming up to speed closely covering the w r. GETTING BETTER BY YEAR END !!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We seemed more physical because we ran head long into the blockers who out weighed us by 50#. The best center guard blitz was when the 2 lb and the safety delayed blitz into the same gap. I think the ol held hands and sang rover red rover. No doubt on the leg and heart strength, but the scheme was lacking in head strength.

We got the dl players for a slanting defense. Also with some experience at lb we could hurry the qb while our new cb s are coming up to speed closely covering the w r. GETTING BETTER BY YEAR END !!

So what's your preseason prediction of D ranking for FEI, total, turnovers, scoring, havoc?

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't. Groh left us with lots of NFL talent. Our last two real defensive superstars in Attouchu and Gotsis were his guys as well as a ton of other really good players. Groh had a mountain of faults, but that guy had an eye for under the radar talent. We'll have to see how the last class shakes out, but AJ really looks like the only upperclassmen that will get an NFL shot right now. Anree maybe if he has another big year.

Gotsis was more of a PJ recruit than a Groh recruit. Gotsis was recommended to PJ by one of his former players that coached Gotsis. Also if I'm not mistaken Gotsis' first year on campus was under roof.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I may be recalling this wrong, but Groh wasn't a huge fan of Jemea Thomas or PJ Davis, was he? If I remember correctly, Johnson had to keep on Groh several times to get Thomas on the field and he didn't even want to take Davis out of high school.

Those two guys were some of the best players we had on defense during their tenure.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I may be recalling this wrong, but Groh wasn't a huge fan of Jemea Thomas or PJ Davis, was he? If I remember correctly, Johnson had to keep on Groh several times to get Thomas on the field and he didn't even want to take Davis out of high school.

Those two guys were some of the best players we had on defense during their tenure.

Groh wasn't a fan of Julian Burnett when he came to GT. Groh likes those 6'2+ LBs, and Burnett was like 5'9. I remember remarking to someone during the first scrimmage when Groh hid Julian away on the 3rd team that there was no way Burnett belonged on the 3rd team. He was making EVERY single tackle, and guys were going backwards. I thought it may have just been Burnett not taking to Groh's playbook. Burnett ended up being a really good LB for us, though a neck injury ended his career early.

As for my memory on PJ Davis, Groh didn't want to recruit him, but when Groh was fired, CPJ said they took another look at PJ with the new staff and Roof was like "Sign him. Period."

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't see a Quayshawn Nealy, Jamea Thomas, Julian Burnett, Brandon Watts, DJ White, Jeremiah Attouchu, Jamal Golden, or Adam Gotsis on our roster. Under Groh we brought in a ton of under the radar talent. We will have to see how the 2017 class shakes out (they were all very highly rated) so that might change, but Groh >> Roof as far as gauging talent on that side of the ball. He did the same at UVA. The only real special guy Roof brought in would be PJ Davis. AJ Gray is almost there and maybe Anree will be to. It's too early to tell with any of the 2017 guys imo.