Next DC

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Question: (caveat, I like the hire and aggressive style so no ulterior motive in the question) it sounds like the scheme and personnel are specifically suited to counter the spread offense. How will this work, or what adjustments will be made, to handle a ground and pound offense with big lineman (like Uga)?

You have to have good ILB play and safeties that can play in the box. In theory the defense should be trying to get them into long yardage situations with tfl and sacks. You also don't have to slant necessarily and a guy like Adams would be great in a two gap role at NT on obvious running downs along with some bigger DEs.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
"The Mountaineers’ 3-4 defensive scheme might be described more accurately as a 1-6. Their ends are in the 230-to-250-pound range – linebacker-sized players on many defenses – and their four linebackers weigh from 200 to 235 pounds. Stout is by far the heaviest starter."

It's almost like we've been recruiting for this scheme the past couple of years with all the hybrid guys we've brought in on defense.
I think we will be a little bigger, that might have been all app State could get for size (atleast at DE). We will probably be about 250-280 imo. Atleast that’s what we currently have on the roster that will be DE for a 3-4.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m curious to see where some of our DE right now will end up. I can see one of them like Anree end up being an OLB that is being brought on blitzes a lot.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think we will be a little bigger, that might have been all app State could get for size (atleast at DE). We will probably be about 250-280 imo. Atleast that’s what we currently have on the roster that will be DE for a 3-4.

Probably? Or maybe he prefers speed and agility over size? I think sun belt teams can recruit big defensive players too, they are just in general lower rated.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Probably? Or maybe he prefers speed and agility over size? I think sun belt teams can recruit big defensive players too, they are just in general lower rated.
It's a super interesting question, for sure.

Reading what he said about his NG at App State, I do wonder if Adams is the guy, or if he just really prefers smaller, quicker guys.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Why can't GT open their offices and get Woody signed now? This waiting stuff makes me nervous.
Who says he hasn't been signed? We just may be waiting on the announcement. Or we could be waiting on other colleges that are closed in order to verify the resume. Seems like we do that now after the O'Leary resume scandal.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Why can't GT open their offices and get Woody signed now? This waiting stuff makes me nervous.

I think the AJC may have jumped the gun on their article yesterday. However, it was only the splash page that said "Tech Hiring Nate Woody". The actual article by Ken Sugiura (on the pay site) was less definitive. It only said that an anonymous source said he was "in line" for the job. I don't know how Ken defines "in line". OTOH App State sources are saying there's been talks, but no agreement has been reached.

The longer Tech drags it's feet, the higher the risk he'll consider another option. Woody has backed out on offers in the past. Miss St thought they had him locked down last year and he decided to stay at App State.

Most likely, he is Tech's DC, but I'm not going to get my hopes up until I hear something directly from Tech or Woody.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Speed is good and all but when you are playing big fast OL you can get locked up easily. That’s been our issue on the DL, we are small and fast yet that hasn’t worked well for us. At the lower level you have a better chance to get a fast guy on the DL to produce because the OL’s aren’t as good and because there are more small fast twitch guys than big guys that can play. We have guys with size and good speed though, so it would be crazy not to play that at DE. Guys like Branch, Owens, Dawson, Saint-Amour, Glanton (he might play NT), Johns (he will probably play about 270 once he gets in a s&c program.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think the AJC may have jumped the gun on their article yesterday. However, it was only the splash page that said "Tech Hiring Nate Woody". The actual article by Ken Sugiura (on the pay site) was less definitive. It only said that an anonymous source said he was "in line" for the job. I don't know how Ken defines "in line". OTOH App State sources are saying there's been talks, but no agreement has been reached.

The longer Tech drags it's feet, the higher the risk he'll consider another option. Woody has backed out on offers in the past. Miss St thought they had him locked down last year and he decided to stay at App State.

Most likely, he is Tech's DC, but I'm not going to get my hopes up until I hear something directly from Tech or Woody.
Really?

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
In the 22 years since I graduated for Tech, I have never met an Engineer from any of these schools who wasn't outstanding. The same can be said for the Engineers I've met from Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, Kansas and ND. Hell, even the Engineers from open admission Arizona State were outstanding. Thus, if GT truly does make it harder for Engineers to successfully get out than these schools, then it is GT who is at fault, for wasting the country's most valuable resources, and who deserves to be penalized in the university rankings for such a waste of talent.
Agree, but I'm not talking about engineering students from Tier 1 schools.

P.S. how many 1-A CFB players major in engineering? I'll give you the answer, not many at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The longer there isn't an official announcement the worse.
School is not open yet and that’s one of the things holding it up from my understanding. Once things open up I would imagine to hear something. I think Monday will be the announcement day. Hopefully we end up getting kelly as well since he said he has a job lined up and will announce in the next few days.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
School is not open yet and that’s one of the things holding it up from my understanding. Once things open up I would imagine to hear something. I think Monday will be the announcement day. Hopefully we end up getting kelly as well since he said he has a job lined up and will announce in the next few days.

Probably Tuesday with Monday being the new year

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Speed is good and all but when you are playing big fast OL you can get locked up easily. That’s been our issue on the DL, we are small and fast yet that hasn’t worked well for us. At the lower level you have a better chance to get a fast guy on the DL to produce because the OL’s aren’t as good and because there are more small fast twitch guys than big guys that can play. We have guys with size and good speed though, so it would be crazy not to play that at DE. Guys like Branch, Owens, Dawson, Saint-Amour, Glanton (he might play NT), Johns (he will probably play about 270 once he gets in a s&c program.

It (smaller-faster) worked well vs. UT last year, we may see different packages for different situations, and offenses. Vs a spread option attack with wide OL gaps there's a better chance to beat the OL with speed and not get locked up with them. Vs. uga or miami or short yardage we might see a bigger DL in there. I think Branch will do really well as a DE.