Next DC

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
One of my brother's friends got a Nuclear Engineering degree from Georgia Tech around 10 years ago:cool:

My daughter was, inexplicably, not recruited by Tech. Killed her to not be so.

She was offered a full ride to another school between her Fresh and Soph years (when was transferring). She actually had about 8 offers that summer, one of which was full. The school didn't have BME, and she would've had to major in Biochemistry. They offered a dual degree with another large school (Maryland in that case) to get a BME, and they were willing to accommodate her doing that. We had, you might say, some words about that opportunity.

So, she played one year at another school, then transferred to Tech and gave up her sport. Once at Tech, she met a few players, and they asked her to walk on, but she was mentally over playing sports.

She earned a few patents in school, and is now a Biomedical Engineer, and killing it.

Good thing she's smarter than her old man.

edit: now to let this thread go back to DC, so I don't get crushed here as a newb for jacking it.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

She was offered a full ride to another school between her Fresh and Soph years (when was transferring). She actually had about 8 offers that summer, one of which was full. The school didn't have BME, and she would've had to major in Biochemistry. They offered a dual degree with another large school (Maryland in that case) to get a BME, and they were willing to accommodate her doing that. We had, you might say, some words about that opportunity.

So, she played one year at another school, then transferred to Tech and gave up her sport. Once at Tech, she met a few players, and they asked her to walk on, but she was mentally over playing sports.

She earned a few patents in school, and is now a Biomedical Engineer, and killing it.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
This continuing discussion is very interesting, and I enjoy the comments. But does anyone have any worthwhile info re a new Georgia Tech FB Defensive Coordinator? I don't mean to be a Grinch, but I keep checking here for news, to no avail.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

edit: now to let this thread go back to DC, so I don't get crushed here as a newb for jacking it.
Thanks for your story and input. The point of it was not lost on me. For many on here who PRAISE Stanford and actually seem glad for a kid when they pick them over us, I suspect it is much the same. Stanford, Duke and UVA will find a a large variety of majors to hide you in if they really want you to come play athletics. Our hide-a-jock majors a SIGNIFICANTLY more limited and land-mined with less sympathetic profs, I suspect.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
McCollum came to GT in 2010. After coaching the Yellow Jackets’ defensive line for two-and-a-half years he switched to linebackers midway through the 2012 season. He moved to Tech’s safeties and nickel backs in 2016...

So from 2010 to 2015 he was the coach who had the most positive influence on any of Ted Roof Defenses and his groups were always standouts:
  • linebacker P.J. Davis lead the team in tackles sophomore in 2014 (119) and a junior in 2015 (77);
  • the linebacking trio of Jabari Hunt-Days, Nealy and Brandon Watts combining for 177 tackles and 14 tackles for loss in 2013;
  • Jeremiah Attaochu, who McCollum mentored on both the defensive line and at linebacker, setting a new school record for career sacks with 31.5 from 2010-13;
  • Hunt-Days earning first-team freshman all-America in 2012;
  • Attaochu (second round - San Diego Chargers) and Watts (seventh round - Minnesota Vikings) being selected in the 2014 NFL Draft;
  • having four former pupils — Attaochu, Watts, DL T.J. Barnes (Kansas City Chiefs) and linebacker P.J. Davis (Jacksonville Jaguars) — currently on NFL roster
at NC State (2007-09) as Linebacker Coach he coached three linebackers that were drafted and went on to play in the NFL — Nate Irving, Terrell Manning and Audie Cole.

As Head Coach at MTSU he led Middle Tennessee to an 8-3 record and its first Sun Belt Conference championship. His Blue Raider squads ranked among the nation’s top 10 in both total offense (fifth in 2001) and total defense (ninth in 2005). He was named Tennessee Coach of the Year by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association in both 2000 and 2001.

As DC at Baylor he served as associate head coach and defensive coordinator for two seasons (1995-96). Highlights included Baylor ranking among the top 10 nationally in total defense (fifth), pass defense (fifth) and scoring defense (ninth) in 1995.

He is a great recruiter and he is already on staff. I do not think we need to go outside!

I've been needing to update my resume...you got anything on your agenda?:D

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
GTAA is a $77M a year business. Maybe those in charge need to start taking so many days off and work like the rest of us that run medium size companies.
We get it man. You run a business and have an ego about it. Constantly posting about it isn’t going to make the GTAA run the way you want. Apply to work at the GTAA if you really need it changed.

LibertyTurns

Banned

There’s lots of interesting personal stories on the board. You just added 1 more. Congrats on raising an outstanding daughter.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We get it man. You run a business and have an ego about it. Constantly posting about it isn’t going to make the GTAA run the way you want. Apply to work at the GTAA if you really need it changed.
No I hate the excuses why we can’t do basic crap like schools that actually care about their sports programs. If this has been in the works a month that’s crappy work. It’s not like we’re trying to steal Venables.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Hey noob....great posts and welcome aboard.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Until he's signed it ain't a done deal. Even if agreed to in principle. Until then there is nothing to prevent other schools in the market to come calling.

Speaking of which. Does anyone know other schools actively in the market right now for a D.C.?

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Woody from App st. is in the bag for us from what I hear and another name we will like but don't know yet who that is yet I'm getting more info abt it now