Next DC

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've said it here before so I'll say it again: I think Tech will get some more majors soon, particularly in the social sciences. Education majors … well, probably not.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else besides me think we suck at hiring? No announcement means we got caught with our pants down again. At least we’re not as bad as UT, but this is the second significant hire in recent memory where we fired someone and didn’t have the replacement lined up ahead of time. We seriously need some folks that know how to run a business to infiltrate the GTAA.

App State played on 12/23. Saturday.
12/24 was Sunday and Christmas Eve.
Monday was Christmas.
Today is the first "working" day since App State's last game, and some businesses are closed.

Not sure when GT or Nate Woody would have had time dot the "i's" and cross "t's". I don't think Woody was going to leave his guys without coaching them out of their last game.

Supposedly an agreement has been done for a month now. Plus, I don't think CPJ wanted to insult Roof. From what I understand, despite how it ended, CPJ still has a lot of respect for Roof.

slugboy

Staff member
Since, despite the title, it looks like this is where we’re going to discuss stats and how good the units are, I’ll chime in here.
On special teams, we end up at #125 out of 130 in FEI. No one is really disputing that, so I’m going to assume it’s agreed on.
On defense, we come out at 66 out of 130 teams in FEI. There are DDS and DE stats that try to account for “the opponent started on your 30 yard line, so we’ll give you extra credit for holding to a field goal”. We were in the middle there, ranked at 61 and 60. There is also DAY, which is the yards you gave up compared to the yards available based on starting field position, and we did a little better at 50th.
DFD is the opponents first down rate (how many new first downs you give up), and we were 24th there (pretty good). DTD is the rate you gave up touchdowns per possession, and we were 58th there; we gave up a lot of touchdowns based on how often we were out there. DTF is touchdowns after first downs, and if we gave up a first down we were pretty likely to give up a TD; we were 78th.
DTO is turnover rate—how often we got a fumble or a pick to end an opponent’s drive, and we were 124th there. We just couldn’t take the ball away.
I can see you saying that you don’t like those stats, and maybe you like S&P better (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef). I understand that view. We’re 67th there.
That breaks down into Success rate, which is how often you held your opponent to fewer yards than they need (giving up 2 yards on first down would be considered a “win” since you really want 3 or 4 to open up the playbook. We’re 88th there. Various other stats try to measure how we prevent explosive plays or bow up near the goal line, and we aren’t strong on those either. Finally, you get into “havoc rate” from our front seven and DBs— how often we sack or tackle for losses or get turnovers. That’s 109th, 96th, and 71st (DBs). So we aren’t sacking the QB or getting fumbles, and we are in the bottom half of football in getting interceptions or safety blitzes. Basically we aren’t making conservative strategies or aggressive strategies work either.
On offense, S&P has us as the #61 offense this year. We were top 25 in getting more yards than we needed, including in the red zone, and especially rushing. We were efficient running, and below average passing. And by below average, I don’t mean we didn’t do it often—I mean our expected yardage when we passed below what other teams saw.
We are better than most teams on both rushing downs and passing downs (3rd and 5+). We were the #15 team on long distance plays, so you can put that myth to bed.
We expect to run about 80% of the time, and we have about a standard pace (we don’t slow the game down as much as people think—we’re slower than Clemson, but that’s not a shock)
So, for those of you who think our offense was mediocre this year, there’s the set of stats that agree with you (and turnover ratio would too)
FEI, in a bad year, still has us at #23. Mainly, that’s because it thinks we played against great defenses. If you factor out the opponents, we’re #52.
Our first down rate was 66% and our TD rate was 30%. We were 85th in turnover rate, so we shot ourselves in the foot a lot this season.
If you look at points per drive, we’re 68th, and I would think weak field goals play a part there.
More stats at http://www.bcftoys.com/georgia-tech if you want to look at old ones.
Looking at this, my perspective is “every unit let the team down this year, especially special teams”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buzzzard

Georgia Tech Fan
From my understanding we tried to add a major and was denied because UGA had it, but then UGA was accepted for an engineering major. I could be wrong though.
From my understanding we tried to add a major and was denied because UGA had it, but then UGA was accepted for an engineering major. I could be wrong though.
That falls at the feet of Bud Peterson, as do so many other issues.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Since, despite the title, it looks like this is where we’re going to discuss stats and how good the units are, I’ll chime in here.
On special teams, we end up at #125 out of 130 in FEI. No one is really disputing that, so I’m going to assume it’s agreed on.
On defense, we come out at 66 out of 130 teams in FEI. There are DDS and DE stats that try to account for “the opponent started on your 30 yard line, so we’ll give you extra credit for holding to a field goal”. We were in the middle there, ranked at 61 and 60. There is also DAY, which is the yards you gave up compared to the yards available based on starting field position, and we did a little better at 50th.
DFD is the opponents first down rate (how many new first downs you give up), and we were 24th there (pretty good). DTD is the rate you gave up touchdowns per possession, and we were 58th there; we gave up a lot of touchdowns based on how often we were out there. DTF is touchdowns after first downs, and if we gave up a first down we were pretty likely to give up a TD; we were 78th.
DTO is turnover rate—how often we got a fumble or a pick to end an opponent’s drive, and we were 124th there. We just couldn’t take the ball away.
I can see you saying that you don’t like those stats, and maybe you like S&P better (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef). I understand that view. We’re 67th there.
That breaks down into Success rate, which is how often you held your opponent to fewer yards than they need (giving up 2 yards on first down would be considered a “win” since you really want 3 or 4 to open up the playbook. We’re 88th there. Various other stats try to measure how we prevent explosive plays or bow up near the goal line, and we aren’t strong on those either. Finally, you get into “havoc rate” from our front seven and DBs— how often we sack or tackle for losses or get turnovers. That’s 109th, 96th, and 71st (DBs). So we aren’t sacking the QB or getting fumbles, and we are in the bottom half of football in getting interceptions or safety blitzes. Basically we aren’t making conservative strategies or aggressive strategies work either.
On offense, S&P has us as the #61 offense this year. We were top 25 in getting more yards than we needed, including in the red zone, and especially rushing. We were efficient running, and below average passing. And by below average, I don’t mean we didn’t do it often—I mean our expected yardage when we passed below what other teams saw.
We are better than most teams on both rushing downs and passing downs (3rd and 5+). We were the #15 team on long distance plays, so you can put that myth to bed.
We expect to run about 80% of the time, and we have about a standard pace (we don’t slow the game down as much as people think—we’re slower than Clemson, but that’s not a shock)
So, for those of you who think our offense was mediocre this year, there’s the set of stats that agree with you (and turnover ratio would too)
FEI, in a bad year, still has us at #23. Mainly, that’s because it thinks we played against great defenses. If you factor out the opponents, we’re #52.
Our first down rate was 66% and our TD rate was 30%. We were 85th in turnover rate, so we shot ourselves in the foot a lot this season.
If you look at points per drive, we’re 68th, and I would think weak field goals play a part there.
More stats at http://www.bcftoys.com/georgia-tech if you want to look at old ones.
Looking at this, my perspective is “every unit let the team down this year, especially special teams”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those are some of the best stats I've seen on this board ever.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Why so? I'm genuinely curious. What about him as a coordinator interests you?
McCollum came to GT in 2010. After coaching the Yellow Jackets’ defensive line for two-and-a-half years he switched to linebackers midway through the 2012 season. He moved to Tech’s safeties and nickel backs in 2016...

So from 2010 to 2015 he was the coach who had the most positive influence on any of Ted Roof Defenses and his groups were always standouts:
  • linebacker P.J. Davis lead the team in tackles sophomore in 2014 (119) and a junior in 2015 (77);
  • the linebacking trio of Jabari Hunt-Days, Nealy and Brandon Watts combining for 177 tackles and 14 tackles for loss in 2013;
  • Jeremiah Attaochu, who McCollum mentored on both the defensive line and at linebacker, setting a new school record for career sacks with 31.5 from 2010-13;
  • Hunt-Days earning first-team freshman all-America in 2012;
  • Attaochu (second round - San Diego Chargers) and Watts (seventh round - Minnesota Vikings) being selected in the 2014 NFL Draft;
  • having four former pupils — Attaochu, Watts, DL T.J. Barnes (Kansas City Chiefs) and linebacker P.J. Davis (Jacksonville Jaguars) — currently on NFL roster
at NC State (2007-09) as Linebacker Coach he coached three linebackers that were drafted and went on to play in the NFL — Nate Irving, Terrell Manning and Audie Cole.

As Head Coach at MTSU he led Middle Tennessee to an 8-3 record and its first Sun Belt Conference championship. His Blue Raider squads ranked among the nation’s top 10 in both total offense (fifth in 2001) and total defense (ninth in 2005). He was named Tennessee Coach of the Year by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association in both 2000 and 2001.

As DC at Baylor he served as associate head coach and defensive coordinator for two seasons (1995-96). Highlights included Baylor ranking among the top 10 nationally in total defense (fifth), pass defense (fifth) and scoring defense (ninth) in 1995.

He is a great recruiter and he is already on staff. I do not think we need to go outside!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Any new major / program requests are initiated at the University level, not from the BoR.

Like you, I would like to see any request we have made that were denied. Specifically and with documentation.

As to another poster saying the BoR has never "helped" us, I understand the sentiment. But there are a whole lot more areas of study at GT than when I attended, or even when my nephew attended in late 90s.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
McCollum came to GT in 2010. After coaching the Yellow Jackets’ defensive line for two-and-a-half years he switched to linebackers midway through the 2012 season. He moved to Tech’s safeties and nickel backs in 2016...

So from 2010 to 2015 he was the coach who had the most positive influence on any of Ted Roof Defenses and his groups were always standouts:
  • linebacker P.J. Davis lead the team in tackles sophomore in 2014 (119) and a junior in 2015 (77);
  • the linebacking trio of Jabari Hunt-Days, Nealy and Brandon Watts combining for 177 tackles and 14 tackles for loss in 2013;
  • Jeremiah Attaochu, who McCollum mentored on both the defensive line and at linebacker, setting a new school record for career sacks with 31.5 from 2010-13;
  • Hunt-Days earning first-team freshman all-America in 2012;
  • Attaochu (second round - San Diego Chargers) and Watts (seventh round - Minnesota Vikings) being selected in the 2014 NFL Draft;
  • having four former pupils — Attaochu, Watts, DL T.J. Barnes (Kansas City Chiefs) and linebacker P.J. Davis (Jacksonville Jaguars) — currently on NFL roster
at NC State (2007-09) as Linebacker Coach he coached three linebackers that were drafted and went on to play in the NFL — Nate Irving, Terrell Manning and Audie Cole.

As Head Coach at MTSU he led Middle Tennessee to an 8-3 record and its first Sun Belt Conference championship. His Blue Raider squads ranked among the nation’s top 10 in both total offense (fifth in 2001) and total defense (ninth in 2005). He was named Tennessee Coach of the Year by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association in both 2000 and 2001.

As DC at Baylor he served as associate head coach and defensive coordinator for two seasons (1995-96). Highlights included Baylor ranking among the top 10 nationally in total defense (fifth), pass defense (fifth) and scoring defense (ninth) in 1995.

He is a great recruiter and he is already on staff. I do not think we need to go outside!
You make a good case, no two ways about it. Tell me about his defenses at MTSU

GTFLETCH

Banned
You make a good case, no two ways about it. Tell me about his defenses at MTSU

CAM served as head coach at Middle Tennessee State for seven seasons (1999-2005), helping the Blue Raider program make the transition from a struggling I-AA squad to a successful I-A program that competed against BCS opponents 24 times during his tenure. MTSU set 84 school records with McCollum at the helm. In 2000, McCollum led the Blue Raiders to a 6-5 record, their first winning record as a I-A program, including back-to-back wins over Connecticut and South Florida by a combined score of 111-19. The 2001 MTSU squad finished 8-3, won the Sun Belt Conference championship, and ranked fifth nationally in offense. In 2005, the Blue Raider defense ranked ninth nationally. In 2002, 2004 and 2005 he brought in what were considered the top recruiting classes in the Sun Belt Conference.

LibertyTurns

Banned
App State played on 12/23. Saturday.
12/24 was Sunday and Christmas Eve.
Monday was Christmas.
Today is the first "working" day since App State's last game, and some businesses are closed.

Not sure when GT or Nate Woody would have had time dot the "i's" and cross "t's". I don't think Woody was going to leave his guys without coaching them out of their last game.

Supposedly an agreement has been done for a month now. Plus, I don't think CPJ wanted to insult Roof. From what I understand, despite how it ended, CPJ still has a lot of respect for Roof.
GTAA is a $77M a year business. Maybe those in charge need to start taking so many days off and work like the rest of us that run medium size companies.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess my question is... What separates GT from a school like Duke? Duke makes their kids go to school (that I know of). I would think our program would be better. Not saying we dumb down the school and offer garbage classes. But, what does Duke, BC and UVA offer that we don't? Seems like that is where our recruiting competition is.

I can only speak to one of those schools (not named BC). My daughter was being recruited there, and the coach told her she was in her top 25 prospects. She told her potential future coach that she wanted to be a Biomedical Engineer, and the coach told her that dropped her to about #50. If she would go for Biology, she'd be back in top 20, maybe top 10.

My daughter told her she wanted to be a Biomedical Engineer. The coach told her she wasn't sure she could work with that degree, and wanted her to reconsider. My daughter stood up, shook her hand, thanked her for time, and walked out, leaving me, the assistant who had recruited her, and the head coach sitting there.

So, based on one conversation, I guess they must have a Biology degree that was a whole lot less intense than Biomedical Engineering.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I can only speak to one of those schools (not named BC). My daughter was being recruited there, and the coach told her she was in her top 25 prospects. She told her potential future coach that she wanted to be a Biomedical Engineer, and the coach told her that dropped her to about #50. If she would go for Biology, she'd be back in top 20, maybe top 10.

My daughter told her she wanted to be a Biomedical Engineer. The coach told her she wasn't sure she could work with that degree, and wanted her to reconsider. My daughter stood up, shook her hand, thanked her for time, and walked out, leaving me, the assistant who had recruited her, and the head coach sitting there.

So, based on one conversation, I guess they must have a Biology degree that was a whole lot less intense than Biomedical Engineering.
One of my brother's friends got a Nuclear Engineering degree from Georgia Tech around 10 years ago:cool: