New WBB Coach: Nell Fortner

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
FL-J went winless in the Big 10 during her last year. That was her P5 experience. The ACC will eat you up. WBB clearly has the have and have nots. Plenty of the latter, who get blown out. We got a competitive coach, who has demonstrated a whole lot of class at every level. She is the fit we need at this time. Get the programmed stabilized, then when she retires, go for one of her younger understudies or conduct a search for what we might need at that juncture.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Louisville with a stellar 6 player class to replace 3 WNBA Draft selections from last Thursday night:
https://gocards.com/news/2019/4/14/...ds-balogun-dixon-and-smith-to-2019-class.aspx
G.T. Freshmen players made up 1/3 of the class. Give Sam Purcell and HC Jeff Walz credit for keeping the pipeline of great National recruiting alive. This definitely hurts Tech, as we were poised to return all five starters with a solid bench nucleus off of a 17 win team.

Deleted member 2897

Something still doesn’t feel right here. It’s like they reported the abuse and for a bit nobody listened. I don’t get leaving all your best friends and teammates and for a ****ty school like that unless something else has burned you.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Something still doesn’t feel right here. It’s like they reported the abuse and for a bit nobody listened. I don’t get leaving all your best friends and teammates and for a ****ty school like that unless something else has burned you.
Or they aren’t best friends or they think they can win a national championship? Drama can take a toll.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
It won’t matter because they’ll get a hardship waiver. There’s a 0% chance they don’t get a waiver with CMJ getting fired due to bullying of players.
I was wondering about the 2 year transfer rule....I can see the NCAA waiving it but would the ACC? Wouldn't the 2 year waiver be up to the ACC?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The rules are not different for MBB and WBB, also Southpawmac nailed it. In addition we are giving full releases after they talk to CNF. We had a Nigerian connection and with Patosha Jeffrey. Sam Purcell recruited both of those McD. recruits during their Junior year. He was on the staff at Auburn with CMJ before she came here. She hired him as soon as taking the HC position at Tech. He was forced to leave under a silly violation according to a friend of mine. CMJ hated losing him and another AC because of the ultimatum. Our hierarchy didn’t have their proverbial heads in the sand all 16 years.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I was wondering about the 2 year transfer rule....I can see the NCAA waiving it but would the ACC? Wouldn't the 2 year waiver be up to the ACC?
No, ACC can’t turn them down. Release by GT....then NCAA determines hardship is valid, and with the coaching change....
It probably doesn’t hurt that E.Dixon is from Memphis and E. Balogun is from Chattanooga. Louisville has a favorable Nigerian popularity among their Hoop programs.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It hurts. We need the players to keep the program together. I like the Fortner hire, and she brings a lot to the table, but if we can't fill a roster I don't see her immediately being able to replace with similar level of talent or having great success without the talent.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It hurts. We need the players to keep the program together. I like the Fortner hire, and she brings a lot to the table, but if we can't fill a roster I don't see her immediately being able to replace with similar level of talent or having great success without the talent.
Currently, we have 13 on scholarships. More than what the men have presently, however same amount as they are allowed. Would love to pick up two Grad. Transfers, and when Fletcher leaves, either a transfer or if a H.S. sleeper is wandering around with the late signing period starting Wed. Remember that CNF has international contacts, as well.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Currently, we have 13 on scholarships. More than what the men have presently, however same amount as they are allowed. Would love to pick up two Grad. Transfers, and when Fletcher leaves, either a transfer or if a H.S. sleeper is wandering around with the late signing period starting Wed. Remember that CNF has international contacts, as well.

I meant fill a roster with ACC level starters/contributors, not players overall, but your point is well taken.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We have ACC level players, they only need development. Scott, Jefferson, Gregg, Carson, L.M-L, Cubaj, Montgomery(turned down scholarships to Walk-on; She is Alex’s sister), Pan, the three recruits, etc.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, something just doesn't seem right and I doubt we ever hear the truth. If Coach Jo was that bad, why not stay after she leaves? Or is there more rot in the program than we are being told. Coach Nell has here work cut out for her, we will be lucky to win any conference games when you look at what we are losing through transfer. How can the NCAA allow teams to be devastated by transfer rules. Since there are no limits, a program could lose almost its entire roster and be defenseless to it.

Deleted member 2897

Agree, something just doesn't seem right and I doubt we ever hear the truth. If Coach Jo was that bad, why not stay after she leaves? Or is there more rot in the program than we are being told. Coach Nell has here work cut out for her, we will be lucky to win any conference games when you look at what we are losing through transfer. How can the NCAA allow teams to be devastated by transfer rules. Since there are no limits, a program could lose almost its entire roster and be defenseless to it.

Well, in our old players defense, apparently the culture was pretty rotten. So I actually don’t think they should be blocked from being able to leave. Life is too short to be somewhere where you don’t feel safe and happy.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, in our old players defense, apparently the culture was pretty rotten. So I actually don’t think they should be blocked from being able to leave. Life is too short to be somewhere where you don’t feel safe and happy.
Agree the players should be happy, but where is the limit? Can the whole team go into the portal? How would the school field a competitive team? What if no one wants to play for Coach Nell? There needs to be a middle ground.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Agree the players should be happy, but where is the limit? Can the whole team go into the portal? How would the school field a competitive team? What if no one wants to play for Coach Nell? There needs to be a middle ground.
How can you place any limit on how many players are allowed to leave? “Sorry—you are the sixth player this year who wants to transfer out, but the limit is five. Your teammate who entered the portal at 9am was the fifth, and gets to transfer...but you waited until 11am so you have to stay for another year.”