New WBB Coach: Nell Fortner

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Seems sort of odd to me to hire a 60 yr old who hasn't coached in 7 years, but whatever. I'm sure at worst she'll be a solid custodian.
Imo brilliant hire. This is about stabilizing the program with someone well known nationally. She obviously won’t be long term but will help get past the mess we’re currently in.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I'll admit I don't know a lot about the world of WBB, but I think the tremendous upside in hiring her is that she's been around the game at every level. Plus, as a broadcaster, she's been able to observe a lot of different coaches and styles. That all leads to a good network to tap in order to hire assistants and get advice on how to build the program into a consistent NCAA team at Georgia Tech.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
Imo brilliant hire. This is about stabilizing the program with someone well known nationally. She obviously won’t be long term but will help get past the mess we’re currently in.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant by custodian. If the goal was to just steady the ship, her resume looks like she's completely capable of that. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
She obviously went after the job. The coach from Buffalo who had mentored under the Duke WBB coach looked like the front runner. I think this is a really good hire and this lady has a lot of visibility in women's BB. This was the more strategic hire.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
She looks like a really good hire to me, experience at multiple levels, creds speak well. Players can learn a lot from her.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
She obviously went after the job. The coach from Buffalo who had mentored under the Duke WBB coach looked like the front runner. I think this is a really good hire and this lady has a lot of visibility in women's BB. This was the more strategic hire.
Agreed. Get us out of the headlines and back on our feet, then train or find a great replacement within 5 years or so and she retires leaving us (hopefully) in great shape!

JacketBacker

Georgia Tech Fan
She obviously won’t be long term but will help get past the mess we’re currently in.
She might be longer term than we think (assuming she wins enough games) because 60 isn’t considered old anymore. Coach K is 72, Roy is 70. I think your point was that she won’t be able to hold up health-wise. If she stays healthy (and wins) I see a 5 -10 year runway...if she wants it.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Jim Boeheim is 74, Gino Auriemma is 65.

I’ll take 10-15 years of solid, respectful coaching. CPJ gave us 10, probably the longest football tenure since Dodd.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Too late. We've already lost Pan and Dixon. 2 of our 3 best players.
Pan was probably WNBA first round talent.
I thought they put their names in the transfer portal, but had not heard that they had chosen new schools and left. Going into the portal simply keeps their options open, but they can always choose to stay if they haven’t committed elsewhere.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I thought they put their names in the transfer portal, but had not heard that they had chosen new schools and left. Going into the portal simply keeps their options open, but they can always choose to stay if they haven’t committed elsewhere.
Have you ever seen someone enter the "portal" and stay?