New WBB Coach: Nell Fortner

kurtinatlanta

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not sure you were watching the games down the stretch or those last 4 games that ended the season? We were playing great basketball at 17 wins, had the lead in all those games in the second half. Exception of Va., which in retrospect was probably our most damaging loss of the season. I didn’t blame Pan or Fletcher. If anything I’ve been taking their side. If you can find one statement where I cast blame, point it out?Common sense tells you we would have been stronger with both of them playing, as each had been going good. It’s in retrospect and no reason to attack the student athletes. Some of us watch all the games, even over Volleyball when they intersect.

I am at, watching, or listening to nearly every game. I keep a spreadsheet with game-by-game stats of every player (and have for nearly 20 years). I check the RPI for every team in the ACC every week. You specifically haven't blamed Pan and Fletcher, but others have, and it's an unfair claim to make as the die was cast before they were out of the lineup.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Auburn was quite a juggernaut in women's basketball not long ago.
Right!
2009–10 Nell Fortner 15–16 5–11 (10th) n/a
2010–11 Nell Fortner 16–16 8–8 (T-5th) WNIT Second Round
2011–12 Nell Fortner 13–17 5–11 (9th) n/a
2012–13 Terri Williams-Flournoy 19–15 5–11 (10th) WNIT Quarterfinals
2013–14 Terri Williams-Flournoy 19–15 7–9 (T-6th) WNIT Third Round
2014–15 Terri Williams-Flournoy 13–18 3–13 (13th)
2015–16 Terri Williams-Flournoy 20–13 8–8 (T-7th)
2016–17 Terri Williams-Flournoy 17–15 7–9 (T-8th)
2017–18 Terri Williams-Flournoy 14–15 5–11 (10th)

Deleted member 2897

I don’t blame any of the players for entering the portal. A coaching change is a big deal. Could be complete systems and culture change. Might as well look around and see if there is anything better. You can always stay.

kurtinatlanta

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t blame any of the players for entering the portal. A coaching change is a big deal. Could be complete systems and culture change. Might as well look around and see if there is anything better. You can always stay.

Hiring Fortner is an advantage for the players. If she had been a coach elsewhere, then she already has/had players in her pipeline that she might want to bring with her that would take scholarships from the team. Fortner has no pipeline. She needs these players to stay. She needs the signees to stay.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I am very hopeful that the team will stay together. If all the reports are true about the previous culture that was created, its amazing that we got the results we did. Great culture always is a positive, while toxic culture takes away.

If the players stay, and Nell creates a great culture... I agree with her statements that this is a sweet 16 talented team.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Turns out Coach Pastner was working out the WBB Team. Kudos to him. Glad CNF made contact with our 3 NLI signees from the Fall period, and it was “positive.” Also, she immediately began putting together her staff.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Considering all the circumstances and controversy swirling around the CMJ scandal, I believe this is an excellent hire!

I also believe AD Todd Stansbury deserves many kudos for responding so well and so quickly, too.

In addition, the hire is of such a high quality that every member of the current women’s team should react positively to it.

A big thumbs up!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Right!
2009–10 Nell Fortner 15–16 5–11 (10th) n/a
2010–11 Nell Fortner 16–16 8–8 (T-5th) WNIT Second Round
2011–12 Nell Fortner 13–17 5–11 (9th) n/a
2012–13 Terri Williams-Flournoy 19–15 5–11 (10th) WNIT Quarterfinals
2013–14 Terri Williams-Flournoy 19–15 7–9 (T-6th) WNIT Third Round
2014–15 Terri Williams-Flournoy 13–18 3–13 (13th)
2015–16 Terri Williams-Flournoy 20–13 8–8 (T-7th)
2016–17 Terri Williams-Flournoy 17–15 7–9 (T-8th)
2017–18 Terri Williams-Flournoy 14–15 5–11 (10th)
okay, so not that long ago is late 80's/early 90's. That's when I spent a lot of time on campus. I do realize that for most, that's a long time ago. Sorry for the lack of distinction.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Considering all the circumstances and controversy swirling around the CMJ scandal, I believe this is an excellent hire!

I also believe AD Todd Stansbury deserves many kudos for responding so well and so quickly, too.

In addition, the hire is of such a high quality that every member of the current women’s team should react positively to it.

A big thumbs up!

That second paragraph is also what I like about this hire, which admittedly I know very little about any of the situation or the key people involved.

Identify, interview, offer, hire.
Now she’s hiring her staff immediately.

Same thing (IIRC) with the football hire.

If this is Todd Stansbury, Mikey likes it

Deleted member 2897

Thinking back to the last several hires, this is probably the GTAA right now:

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

She's out there working and building those relationships. Hopefully they can all stick together. Change can be hard.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

She has her eyes on recruits from the 2021 class and 2023, for those wondering if this job is in her future plans.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know why TStan picked a coach that hadn't coached in 6 years over an up and coming coach at Buffalo with ACC ties. What's the speculation.

Deleted member 2897

Anyone know why TStan picked a coach that hadn't coached in 6 years over an up and coming coach at Buffalo with ACC ties. What's the speculation.

Probably one was a better fit than the other. Same reason we picked Collins over Whiz. I liked the Buffalo coach, but Fortner’s pedigree is materially better in my opinion.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Not an expert on women’s basketball at all but can you really call someone who was let go at a Big 10 job and has had some success at a lower level “up and coming”? She might have been a better choice but Fortner has had more success at higher levels. She’s also been able to pick the brain of a lot of coaches over the last 6 years and get ideas from the most successful in the business.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I think the #1 priority of the Women's Basketball program right now is keeping the talent we currently have. Perhaps Fortner is the one that our administration thought could do that.