1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

New WBB Coach: Nell Fortner

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by TechCubed, Apr 9, 2019.

1. TechCubed

TechCubed Helluva Engineer

2. MidtownJacket

MidtownJacket Helluva Engineer

3. GTrob21

GTrob21 Helluva Engineer

Great resume, and has connections with the highest level of players from Team USA. I think this is another great hire by TSTAN

4. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Fingers crossed that we hold onto as many players as possible and that the new coach is highly successful!

bwelbo, lauraee, kg01 and 4 others like this.
  5. Buzzbomb

Buzzbomb Helluva Engineer

It’s a great hire! Wonderful basketball knowledge. Enjoyed her commentaries on ESPN. Will increase our national flavor. Will help the continued development of Carson, Gregg, Montgomery, Jefferson, and others. Seemed to have hired well at Auburn with Assistant Coaches.

https://marriedbiography.com/nell-fortner-biography/
    She is most well known for leading the 2000 Olympics team to a gold medal. She has received numerous awards including the 1997 National Coach of the Year, the 2000 USA Basketball Coach of the Year and the 2008 SEC Coach of the Year. In April 2018, she was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  6. GTFLETCH

GTFLETCH Helluva Engineer

WOW... Great Hire... Now if we could only get CJP replaced so we can get the MBB team back on track!!

THWG16 and Buzzbomb like this.
  7. GTLorenzo

GTLorenzo Helluva Engineer

Nice resume. Should we be concerned that she hasn't coached in 7 years? Any reason why she left Auburn? Not questioning the hire, just asking.

BuckeyeJacket, kg01 and Buzzbomb like this.
  8. GTJake

GTJake Helluva Engineer

I just read the GTAA official announcement, in her statement she actually said "together we swarm " ... that is awesome !!

9. Buzzbomb

Buzzbomb Helluva Engineer

Auburn is not a basketball juggernaut for WBB, not really for MBB before Pearl(although they have had some really nice NBA talents, individually).

10. kurtinatlanta

kurtinatlanta Georgia Tech Fan

She can coach good talent. The trick is getting more of it. Great players make great coaches.

11. presjacket

presjacket Helluva Engineer

I was wondering about the time away from coaching too. She was still around the game though.

12. Gold1

Gold1 Helluva Engineer

Love the hire

Buzzbomb likes this.
  13. LongforDodd

LongforDodd Helluva Engineer

Did I read on my phone earlier when this was released that she started out at Perdue?

Buzzbomb likes this.
  14. kurtinatlanta

kurtinatlanta Georgia Tech Fan

Purdue was her first head coaching job, yes. She took over after Lin Dunn was fired.

Sebastian GT and GTFLETCH like this.
  15. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

[​IMG]

16. SteamWhistle

SteamWhistle Helluva Engineer

This hire really has me excited to see who TStan will get If Paster doesn’t last.

Buzzbomb and Gold1 like this.
  17. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

Uhm .... not touching that one.

Anybody know why she left AUB and why she stayed out of coaching for so long? I have no perspective on the women's game but I know that those would be pertinent questions on a hire on the men's side.

18. Gold1

Gold1 Helluva Engineer

Hahaha wtf was that

19. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

I don't even wanna know. Probably something that should be in the 'Politics' sub-forum. Yikes.

20. Sebastian GT

Sebastian GT Helluva Engineer

Just noticed this myself. So she gets to clean up another mess left by Joseph. Lol. Her track record suggests she's a helluva lot better coach than the one we fired.