New WBB Coach: Nell Fortner

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It’s a great hire! Wonderful basketball knowledge. Enjoyed her commentaries on ESPN. Will increase our national flavor. Will help the continued development of Carson, Gregg, Montgomery, Jefferson, and others. Seemed to have hired well at Auburn with Assistant Coaches.

https://marriedbiography.com/nell-fortner-biography/
She is most well known for leading the 2000 Olympics team to a gold medal. She has received numerous awards including the 1997 National Coach of the Year, the 2000 USA Basketball Coach of the Year and the 2008 SEC Coach of the Year. In April 2018, she was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Nice resume. Should we be concerned that she hasn't coached in 7 years? Any reason why she left Auburn? Not questioning the hire, just asking.
Auburn is not a basketball juggernaut for WBB, not really for MBB before Pearl(although they have had some really nice NBA talents, individually).

Deleted member 2897

WOW... Great Hire... Now if we could only get CJP replaced so we can get the MBB team back on track!!

giphy.gif

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Uhm .... not touching that one.

Anybody know why she left AUB and why she stayed out of coaching for so long? I have no perspective on the women's game but I know that those would be pertinent questions on a hire on the men's side.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Uhm .... not touching that one.

Anybody know why she left AUB and why she stayed out of coaching for so long? I have no perspective on the women's game but I know that those would be pertinent questions on a hire on the men's side.
Hahaha wtf was that