New regime goal posts

LibertyTurns

Banned
We need to steal that Buffalo grad transfer QB. Do that & you’ll have everyone humming a different tune as far as what’s possible next year. We should have an inside track.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Our offense was typically a difference maker, and it will be completely rebuilt. Our defense has been subpar for a decade, and hit dumpster fire level this year. It needs to be rebuilt. EVERY player on our team will be learning a new scheme on both sides of the ball. I think there is every possibility we could win six games next year, but I honestly think we might be lucky to reach the 4-5 mark.

Animal02

Banned
Not sure why everyone is so scared the offense is going to implode. We are kind of well suited for an RPO aren’t we? I mean you don’t really have to throw down field to get the receivers involved, and a lot of that RPO stuff isn’t that much different than what we do if you watch it...they just utilize the wideout rather than a pitch.

If we transition correctly we could be ok. My guess is that what we run next year won’t be what we run three years from now.

Edit: not to mention our WRs are probably the best blocking WRs in the conference...which should help with bubble screen type plays.
I am not scared, still a bit skeptical, but will support Tech regardless.
Others here, who were all calling for firing CPJ because of "mediocre" winning seasons, are all of the sudden setting the bar real low for the new H.C., claiming the program is a dumpster fire.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Others here, who were all calling for firing CPJ because of "mediocre" winning seasons, are all of the sudden setting the bar real low for the new H.C., claiming the program is a dumpster fire.

For the record, I was as ardent a CPJ supporter as there was on this board. I don't think the program is a dumpster fire, but I do believe the defense hit that level this year. That being said, I still believe we need to be somewhat realistic in our expectations as we will be running an offense that some of our current players would have never been recruited to. I think it's only fair to give the new coach a grace period to get his players in the system.

Animal02

Banned
For the record, I was as ardent a CPJ supporter as there was on this board. I don't think the program is a dumpster fire, but I do believe the defense hit that level this year. That being said, I still believe we need to be somewhat realistic in our expectations as we will be running an offense that some of our current players would have never been recruited to. I think it's only fair to give the new coach a grace period to get his players in the system.
I don't think it was a dumpster fire.....it and issues, as was to be expected in the transition. I think it kept us in the bowl game as long as they could, given the three and outs from the O.
Once again, people are so willing to give Collins a multi year pass for "transition" not not give Woody one. (n)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As an aside. 2-3 years ago the male cheerleader with the big GT flag got the flag tangled up in an upright of the south end zone goal post. Ever since it has been just a little less than square with the field. It probably won’t ever make a difference in a game but it bothers me just a tad anyway.

So the old goalposts actually do need some adjusting for the new regime :p

The program ain't a dumpster fire, it simply has a very poor talent level, evidenced by us getting thrashed by Minn

Our outgoing HC left such a low talent level, the only fair thing to do is to lower the bar slightly

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The program ain't a dumpster fire, it simply has a very poor talent level, evidenced by us getting thrashed by Minn

Our outgoing HC left such a low talent level, the only fair thing to do is to lower the bar slightly

Wash, rinse and repeat. According to every post you make there is NO talent on North Ave. Once again can you clue us all in on your all knowing credentials or are you simply trolling as usual?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Agreed. The program needed a change of direction. If I were to choose a coach to lead our team with 2019 in mind I would choose CPJ. If I were to choose a coach for the future of our program passed that it would be someone else. We always knew the transition away from this offense would be tough. It was the price we paid when we hired Johnson. And in fairness he did give us several rewarding seasons while he was here.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's talk about dumpster fires in the Coastal. Miami is probably the biggest. VT is right behind them (how did UVA lose that game). UNC was/is and has a new/old coach to get used to. We beat UVA this year and gave away games to Duke and Pitt. They all lose players just like we do. Which qb coming back next year scares you? Why should we not expect to be in the thick of the Coastal again next year barring injuries? Unless Richt has another horse shoe up his *** (possible maybe even probable), Duke and UVA are probably the favorites, and we play both on the road. That's the biggest negative I see regarding the Coastal. Lose those and you are still probably looking at 4-2 in the Coastal.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Let's talk about dumpster fires in the Coastal. Miami is probably the biggest. VT is right behind them (how did UVA lose that game). UNC was/is and has a new/old coach to get used to. We beat UVA this year and gave away games to Duke and Pitt. They all lose players just like we do. Which qb coming back next year scares you? Why should we not expect to be in the thick of the Coastal again next year barring injuries? Unless Richt has another horse shoe up his *** (possible maybe even probable), Duke and UVA are probably the favorites, and we play both on the road. That's the biggest negative I see regarding the Coastal. Lose those and you are still probably looking at 4-2 in the Coastal.

In all sincerity, what roster in the Coastal is worse than ours? The games we won were due to scheme, not talent. Changing schemes negates that. It will take time to get the talent level where we need to be.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't think it was a dumpster fire.....it and issues, as was to be expected in the transition. I think it kept us in the bowl game as long as they could, given the three and outs from the O.
Once again, people are so willing to give Collins a multi year pass for "transition" not not give Woody one. (n)

Point to one single post where I was asking for CNW to be fired. If you look carefully, you'll see where I was supportive of him. The D was still a dumpster fire this year.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
In all sincerity, what roster in the Coastal is worse than ours? The games we won were due to scheme, not talent. Changing schemes negates that. It will take time to get the talent level where we need to be.

Question for you, why do you continually denigrate the SAs at Tech by you incessant harping that they are not talented? Every SA on scholarship had other P5 offers so are all those coaches evaluating players improperly? It seems that you are living and dying by the star system and not paying attention to what the folks who's livelihood depends on them evaluating SAs. It bothers me no end when I see Tech SAs categorized as Tech being their ONLY P5 offer when it's simply NOT TRUE.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think a .500 season is reasonable to expect next season. After that, we should be at a .750+ clip with a few Coastal championships along with our fair share of wins over the mutts. MGTGA (make GTA great again), that’s what he’s claiming he’s going to do.

agreed. CPJ had 3 wins and let's be honest - could've/should've been at least 2 more (2009, 2013) and possibly 2 more than that! 2 more wins and CPJ is basically 50%. The mutts aren't unbeatable but the attitude towards playing them needs to change. Our fanbase seems to have really settled into an attitude of shrugging the shoulders and saying "Oh well!" when it comes to Clemson and the mutts. Gotta get rid of that. It's like the fans have inked in a loss to these teams before the season starts - very defeatist.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
agreed. CPJ had 3 wins and let's be honest - could've/should've been at least 2 more (2009, 2013) and possibly 2 more than that! 2 more wins and CPJ is basically 50%. The mutts aren't unbeatable but the attitude towards playing them needs to change. Our fanbase seems to have really settled into an attitude of shrugging the shoulders and saying "Oh well!" when it comes to Clemson and the mutts. Gotta get rid of that. It's like the fans have inked in a loss to these teams before the season starts - very defeatist.

CPJ got to play some of the worst uga teams in 30 years. Not being .500 against them was a failure.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's weird almost every poster on here said 7-8 wins is acceptable with the occasional 10... That's what we just had and everyone wanted him fired. Hilarious

we haven't had either of those in a couple of years and were clearly trending downward. the people who were saying "Wait til next year" said that same thing at the end of last season.