New regime goal posts

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Out with the old and in with the new. Overall I like the staff thus far, skeptical about OC, pumped about Choice. I also like what CGC has done recruiting thus far and like his resume on D. Press conferences haven’t given me that electric feel up my leg some of y’all got. But I think CGC has a chance to be very successful at Tech.

My goal posts for CGC are unchanged from all of our prior coaches. I want to challenge for the coastal every year. Occasionally I want to get to Charlotte but the important thing is having that chance realistically in our grasp. I’ll tolerate some bad if offset with some very good (Orange Bowl type years). Especially if there are unavoidable factors that lead to the bad - rash of injuries, losing star players etc). We should go to a bowl pretty much every year.

What level of mediocrity will the rest of y’all put up with? The negative nancies probably won’t have the courage to stipulate any. A couple refused to in other threads. They must not want to box themselves in.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
From a competitive standpoint I want the same as you. We should be in the Hunt for the Coastal every year and win it a few times.

I think recruiting should uptick a bit but I’m not selling if it doesn’t.

The one thing I definitely don’t want to happen is to have recruiting uptick and become like NCST or BC. Good press and people like us but fail to do anything of any consequence.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with your statements.

I would like to see us play better as the season progresses. Meaning the coaches are seeing our limitations on the field, coaching up the SA, and making adjustments in play calling.

Realistically, we are not going to put up similar numbers on O but hopefully can improve on D as an offset. To get to an 8+ win per season, our D has to get much better and consistent.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I want to see a top 30 defense regularly, and top 35 recruiting classes fairly regularly. After the first 2 years we need to win 7-8 games regularly with the occasional 10 win season. Say once every 4 years. I'd consider that successful at GT.

Are you okay with this still if O drops to top 70-80 at the same time? Not ideal imo but I’d still take it with all the rest. I’m very ready to see some awesome D on the flats again.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting: Top 35 every year.
First year: 4-5 wins. Better defense as the season goes along.
Second year: 7 wins. Bowl game.

After that, we should be between 7-10 wins each year and competing for the Coastal regularly. The biggest unknown to me is if he can actually recruit at that level. Top 35 consistently at GT isn't going to be easy, but if he is going to publicly express the importance of recruiting, and he is bringing in assistants with that mindset then he is going to have to deliver.

Deleted member 2897

I'm kind of in the same boat, but at this point 2020 is completely out the window for me. Clemson, Georgia, UCF, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech. That's just stupid.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting: Top 35 every year.
First year: 4-5 wins. Better defense as the season goes along.
Second year: 7 wins. Bowl game.

After that, we should be between 7-10 wins each year and competing for the Coastal regularly. The biggest unknown to me is if he can actually recruit at that level. Top 35 consistently at GT isn't going to be easy, but if he is going to publicly express the importance of recruiting, and he is bringing in assistants with that mindset then he is going to have to deliver.
What is your thinking in regards to going from a 7 win team this year to just 4or 5 wins? I assume citadel and temple are wins. Do you think we only win 2 or 3 other games?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... well Temple has a bunch of CGC recruits that are, to some, better than what we have as rising juniors and seniors... so can Temple be inked in as a W next year?

(just a troll question... wanted to beat the trolls to it.)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What is your thinking in regards to going from a 7 win team this year to just 4or 5 wins? I assume citadel and temple are wins. Do you think we only win 2 or 3 other games?
I think we can win 6-7 games, I'm just not sure the transition is going to be smooth. Especially with regards to the QB position. So I am tempering my 2019 expectations a bit. I am also not sure Temple is a guaranteed win.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It’s so weird. People that are super hyped about CGC expect us to not do well for two years. I just don’t see it. We have a 7 win team with a lot of returning players. Our defense will be better. An OC worth his chops should be able to be top 30 in ofei with what he has returning considering we are top 30 now (no idea where we are after the bowl but we were top 20).

CGC seems to have his head on straight. I expect his next class to be better, and hope we improve.

As for goal posts, I will accept what I accept now. 6-8 wins is *okay*. We should be consistently in the hunt for the coastal as we are currently. I don’t care what our recruiting rankings are, and basing our coach’s success on it is dumb. If he goes undefeated with a rank 40 class than so be it. If it takes top 20 classes for his success then that is on him to achieve, but wins is what I will grade him on.

It’s hard for me to put absolute numbers because context matters. 2015 was shaping up to be a great year before our entire oline got injured. If we suffer some catastrophe next year, I won’t hold it against him. If we are competitive in all our games but wind up 5-7, I’ll probably forgive that too. If we get blown out 9 times that will not be acceptable even in the first year.

Deleted member 2897

It’s so weird. People that are super hyped about CGC expect us to not do well for two years. I just don’t see it. We have a 7 win team with a lot of returning players. Our defense will be better. An OC worth his chops should be able to be top 30 in ofei with what he has returning considering we are top 30 now (no idea where we are after the bowl but we were top 20).

CGC seems to have his head on straight. I expect his next class to be better, and hope we improve.

As for goal posts, I will accept what I accept now. 6-8 wins is *okay*. We should be consistently in the hunt for the coastal as we are currently. I don’t care what our recruiting rankings are, and basing our coach’s success on it is dumb. If he goes undefeated with a rank 40 class than so be it. If it takes top 20 classes for his success then that is on him to achieve, but wins is what I will grade him on.

It’s hard for me to put absolute numbers because context matters. 2015 was shaping up to be a great year before our entire oline got injured. If we suffer some catastrophe next year, I won’t hold it against him. If we are competitive in all our games but wind up 5-7, I’ll probably forgive that too. If we get blown out 9 times that will not be acceptable even in the first year.

Agree. In the last 25 years we’ve had 1 sub 0.500 year in ACC play. That’s across 4 coaches, like 6 defensive coordinators, and multiple schemes. I don’t see any reason why suddenly we think we won’t know how to play.

In 2020, our schedule is just idiotic. Regardless of who was going to coach that year we should have penciled in 6 wins as a reasonable goal. But otherwise I don’t see any rebuild or any need for panic.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It’s so weird. People that are super hyped about CGC expect us to not do well for two years. I just don’t see it.

We have a terrible defense, poor special teams, and are going to be transitioning away from an offense that has several pieces that don't really transition to other offenses, and are missing some pieces other offenses use entirely. There is no 2007 class and NFL DL to help smooth the transition.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We have a terrible defense, poor special teams, and are going to be transitioning away from an offense that has several pieces that don't really transition to other offenses, and are missing some pieces other offenses use entirely. There is no 2007 class and NFL DL to help smooth the transition.
We won seven games this year and only graduate 14. This is a mole hill not a mountain. Our defense is bad now, it will improve. A good OC can transition. If you don't think we can, then you don't actually trust CGC to do his job. I believe CGC can get the job done and I do not expect him to win less than 7 games next year. I am not even a fan boy but apparently I have more faith in him and the team than others.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I think we can win 6-7 games, I'm just not sure the transition is going to be smooth. Especially with regards to the QB position. So I am tempering my 2019 expectations a bit. I am also not sure Temple is a guaranteed win.
I agree with you on the 6or 7 wins. My view is that we were a 7 win team this year and we aren’t losing double digit starters to graduation. How the new talent plays next year could moves us to 8 wins or down to 6. If we lose to temple and USF we maybe be hard pressed for 6 wins and your 4 wins looks more realistic.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
... well Temple has a bunch of CGC recruits that are, to some, better than what we have as rising juniors and seniors... so can Temple be inked in as a W next year?

(just a troll question... wanted to beat the trolls to it.)
Naw, Duke just rolled them, so if they beat us next year, it will be time to fire CGC (also trying to get ahead of the curve).