New recruit Petty $800,000 per year NIL

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I get it that CFB is changing in a big way and almost everyone hates It, but who are we to say that the kids putting their health on the line don't deserve a piece of the massive $$$ that cfb brings in? Ultimately you can blame the supreme court for this mess, they opened Pandora’s box with zero guardrails in place, and until enough people complain (and congress passes some laws and/or the players unionize) or enough stop watching it the money continue to escalate. The factories have always done this, now it’s open to all and they hate it. There will never not be people willing to spend money to try and help their college team win, it’s a religion here in the south. I could give zero F’s about any other sports teams than GT’s big three and will do what i can to help money-wise if that’s what it takes to be competitive.
Yes, I blame the court decisions primarily. Yes, college programs have snuck money under the table for years. Cam Newton’s dad was offered $200K back in what, 2009 or so? Anybody recall?

Inflation has been pretty bad, so maybe that’s the ticket now.

Nothing to see here. Move along. 😛

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Here's the deal with this. Now that its legal. You will see us have a lot more money for this. The one thing that truly held us back was our fanbase's distaste for cheating. Its nto cheating anymore and we are richer per capita than most people in college football not backed by texas oil money. The problem is engineers are results driven and our big bucks people who typically are C level aren't there because they make bad bets. This is a "result" for payout. That is measurable expect more of them.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
NIL is what will finally bring parity. I love it. The top players will now have more than the usual top 10 schools offering them money. And the top teams no longer have the NCAA to protect their bag men system. Saban recognized it and retired and is now very vocal because he sees that the stranglehold Bama and others had on the NCAA Enforcement office is over because the NCAA is now a toothless tiger. It’s freaking awesome. I’m gonna really enjoy watching these big state, mostly rural schools, who have ruled the system for decades now seeing their huge advantage of a payment system negated. Sure, they’ll still buy players but the market for those players has just quadrupled so guys like Petty will be picked off one by one. If this were 6 years ago Petty would have been given a bag of Benjamins and would have signed with Clemson, FSU, UGA, or Bama. But now, he can actually get cash AND an education.

Man, I’m usually right with you on your takes, but have to disagree here.

There’s likely NO WAY that Tech can sustain this against the larger funded schools. It simply cannot.

Sure, we got one — ONE. And it would have been nice if he’d have chosen Tech for the long term academic investment because we should absolutely be a destination for these guys. But all we’ve done, along with others playing this game, is raised the bar.

And the bar — guaranteed— will continue to be raised and we’ll be left behind. Far behind.

And with a kid like Petty, who again I’ll just project from his interviews is an extremely high potential young man, we should expect to get young men like him who value the education and experience of Tech education first and foremost . But, with this ridiculous NIL thing — and those people who set this up be damned — it’s an unregulated mess.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, I blame the court decisions primarily. Yes, college programs have snuck money under the table for years. Cam Newton’s dad was offered $200K back in what, 2009 or so? Anybody recall?

Inflation has been pretty bad, so maybe that’s the ticket now.

Nothing to see here. Move along. 😛
I was thinking the same thing! At this point I’d be fine with a Camaro, or whatever it was Reggie Bush got.

(Except those bastards are a threat to society on the roads)

But.. I guess inflation’s great. So I hear. And exponential inflation when it’s spread over the broad stroke of society vis-a-vis higher cost from media rights, et al, definitely okay. Way to go 🇺🇸

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I have heard, Key is open, honest, and upfront with players. You keep players happy by setting expectations, living up to those expectations, and having your program live up to those expectations.

From what I have seen, the $800k number came from an FSU blogger/Twitter person. I don't know if it is accurate or not. Much of the reporting about NIL contracts is nowhere near accurate. However, starting in 2025, each P4 school will be required to pay more than $20 million to athletes directly. Unless something changes, collaboratives can still provide more NIL money. The $20 million at GT would be roughly $50k per scholarship athlete in all sports. Many of the sports will likely not get paid anything. $800k for a top rated football player would be above the average for the entire team, but not so far out of line that it is certain to sew discord.
And $50k isn’t all so unreasonable.

Until you realize that they’ve been getting $50k for decades by virtue of their scholarships. And tack on the meal plans, the fitness plans, the academic coaching and all the athlete perks - THEY HAVE BEEN PAID FOE YEARS.

But within the decade or so when coaches’ salaries began going through the roof, and media rights to the schools went through the roof, then the narrative was — the kids should be able make money on their name.

(And never mind that for an except few no one really know their names — or, basically you could exchange one for another and no one would no the difference. I mean, it’s not like they are “Tom Brady” walking around .. they’re just wearing the school uniform which is the only reason anyone cares about these guys).

And yet in within three years Name & Image Likeness became pay to play. Which is an entirely different thing.

Oh, and yes a kid getting $800k/yr, or even $100/k, for doing measurably the same thing as the kid next to him will sow discord.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Man, I’m usually right with you on your takes, but have to disagree here.

There’s likely NO WAY that Tech can sustain this against the larger funded schools. It simply cannot.

Sure, we got one — ONE. And it would have been nice if he’d have chosen Tech for the long term academic investment because we should absolutely be a destination for these guys. But all we’ve done, along with others playing this game, is raised the bar.

And the bar — guaranteed— will continue to be raised and we’ll be left behind. Far behind.

And with a kid like Petty, who again I’ll just project from his interviews is an extremely high potential young man, we should expect to get young men like him who value the education and experience of Tech education first and foremost . But, with this ridiculous NIL thing — and those people who set this up be damned — it’s an unregulated mess.
Which would you prefer – GT possibly left behind in the future because we can’t keep up, or left behind today because we won’t play the NIL game? I’ll take us failing after giving it our best shot over failing because we didn’t try.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Which would you prefer – GT possibly left behind in the future because we can’t keep up, or left behind today because we won’t play the NIL game? I’ll take us failing after giving it our best shot over failing because we didn’t try.
I know you’re not saying this, and I’m not ascribing this to you, but the ends justifies the means has been used to allow a lot of bad stuff.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I know you’re not saying this, and I’m not ascribing this to you, but the ends justifies the means has been used to allow a lot of bad stuff.
Paying people is not immoral or bad. What exactly is so 'ends justify the means' about NIL other than old folks jealousy about kids making a lot of money?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Paying people is not immoral or bad. What exactly is so 'ends justify the means' about NIL other than old folks jealousy about kids making a lot of money?
If you have to ask the question, discussing with you is useless. Here's a clue though: "...kids making a lot of money."

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
How is that different from an NFL team guaranteeing tens of millions to a 1st round draft pick who has proven nothing at the NFL level? In 2007, JeMarcus Russell was picked #1 in the NFL draft and had a contract guarantee of $31.5 million. He was a bust in the NFL.

How is that different from a VC putting $1 million into a startup that hasn't made a profit, and doesn't actually have their product finished yet? This happens all of the time. VCs try to get into multiple companies. They know that many or most of them will be busts. They are hoping that at least one of them will skyrocket and make up for all of the failures.

It appears that you are thinking about things from a consumer standpoint. I myself analyze things before I purchase them. I want to get a car at a good price that will be comfortable enough and will have low maintenance costs. From a sports player acquisition perspective, you can't use that type of analysis. You have to build a team based on projections. Do you believe that this player will have the ability to play well? Do you believe that this player will fit into the culture on the team? Do you believe that this player will be able to thrive at your school? If you wait until the players have all played, and you know what they can do, they will not be on your team. You might not like that a kid straight out of HS is making a lot of money, but that doesn't matter. From a coach's standpoint, he has to build the best team he can build. The alternative is to understand that you will not win.
FYI - the NFL players association and owners realized paying absurd salaries to 1st round draft choices was stupid and in 2011 they jointly established a salary scale/cap for all rookie contracts. There are no more JeMarcus Russell like contracts. At some point college football will need to come to grips with the same reality. It took the NFL decades to come to that realization, I don't see it happening soon in College Football.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
FYI - the NFL players association and owners realized paying absurd salaries to 1st round draft choices was stupid and in 2011 they jointly established a salary scale/cap for all rookie contracts. There are no more JeMarcus Russell like contracts. At some point college football will need to come to grips with the same reality. It took the NFL decades to come to that realization, I don't see it happening soon in College Football.
It will happen as soon as the power 2 decide their players should unionize. The NFL owners and the player’s union altered the payment terms for first round draft picks in 2011 through collective bargaining.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
NIL is what will finally bring parity. I love it. The top players will now have more than the usual top 10 schools offering them money. And the top teams no longer have the NCAA to protect their bag men system. Saban recognized it and retired and is now very vocal because he sees that the stranglehold Bama and others had on the NCAA Enforcement office is over because the NCAA is now a toothless tiger. It’s freaking awesome. I’m gonna really enjoy watching these big state, mostly rural schools, who have ruled the system for decades now seeing their huge advantage of a payment system negated. Sure, they’ll still buy players but the market for those players has just quadrupled so guys like Petty will be picked off one by one. If this were 6 years ago Petty would have been given a bag of Benjamins and would have signed with Clemson, FSU, UGA, or Bama. But now, he can actually get cash AND an education.
Ohio State, the biggest NIL spender currently has 9 top 100 players committed and 3 of the top 6. I guess NIL gives the smaller schools a legitimate chance to get a big name player every once in a while but no, its not creating anything close to parity.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Ohio State, the biggest NIL spender currently has 9 top 100 players committed and 3 of the top 6. I guess NIL gives the smaller schools a legitimate chance to get a big name player every once in a while but no, its not creating anything close to parity.
Doubt NIL will bring parity but it could help create a new tier of schools with a multitude of blue-chip players. Watch out for SMU.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
One thing to consider liek another poster said the only number we have is the FSU insider. Its entirely possible that was FSU"s price because he didn't really want to go there.

There are also things that coudl equal up to that without being actual cash. Maybe the thing was a midtown penthouse level apartment. Rent for one of those is around 200k a year throw in a new genesis to drive every year (techncially a year over year lease). You coul,d be approaching 250k + in just asset incentives when realized. 300k a year to a Investment account designed to act as a insurance against injury. he might not be walking around with a large check.

It also could be 800k over 4 years into a year (pay once) and the FSU guy is just lyign because they are but heart 800k over 4 years isn't insane.

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s right now. We are literally in the infancy of the NIL era. How long did it take for most schools to adopt a full offense of throwing the ball when that was made legal? Answer - decades. Many schools are just now getting their NIL system up and running, so of course, schools that have had an under the table payment system are ahead at this point. But little ole GT just got one and we‘ll get more each year just like a lot of teams in the middle pile of mediocrity today. Let’s check back with each other in 15 years and see if the top 10 schools are the same like they have been. Something tells me with money being equal players will leave a lot of rural middle of nowhere schools high and dry because would you rather Oxford, Starkville, Columbia, or Atlanta if you are a 19 year old black male and the money is equal?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok so this is meant to be entirely tongue in cheek, but all this discussion about huge NIL amounts got me thinking. Perhaps we should have a poll for the pain threshold at which each of us thinks an elite recruit or player’s total compensation is out of line with the sustainability of CFB.
My proposed poll thresholds:
  • Zero – and we should follow the Ivy League’s example in not granting scholarships either. Let them pay for the privilege of getting a great education, just like I did.
  • A Grant-in-Aid of the value of a scholarship, with perhaps a small cost of attendance stipend. Players must be unpaid amateurs, and they are amateurs because they don’t get paid (NCAA's argument to Supreme Court).
  • $10k annually. Probably below minimum wage on an hourly basis, but they should be thankful they’re getting a great education for free.
  • $50k annually. Now we’re talking. They can help Mom/Dad make that down payment on a new home.
  • $100k annually. Wait, that’s more than the average graduate’s initial salary!
  • $500k annually. Better hope that we have a positive ROI on these mega-stars via improved ticket sales!
  • Unlimited, as long as it’s less than our head coach’s salary. After all, our football coaches’ salary pool is only around $12M annually, not counting the $3M+ annually we are paying a coach not to coach. ;)
The problem is your scenarios, while I would love to have those options, will never exist because coaches and fans want to win. People will ALWAYS fInd a way to cheat. And if you don’t think the Ivies recruiting isn’t cut throat with under the table “educements” then you are crazy. You can have whatever arbitrary threshold you want and someone will always have an extra dollar to offer.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s the first of my concerns. CFB seems to me to be to be on the verge of sliding across the boundary into a chaotic system. I love CFB and hate to see these things happening.
Stinger, I hear you, but CFB isn’t on the verge of a chaotic system, it’s been a chaotic system for 50 years. Did you not see Georgia Tech get out on probation and lose a conference title while Auburn bought Cam Newton and UGA enrolls players who can barely read? The last 50 years has been a total joke with winners and losers being created by the NCAA’s enforcement branch. They gave SMU the death penalty, yet Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, Dooley, Schembechler, Tarkanian, etc all were buying titles. Thats was chaos and that entire era has an asterisk. NIL strips all that away so if school A buys a title and school B doesn’t then that’s on school B who had equal access. Imagine if GT had done what Dooley did with bringing in illiterates and having fake majors, the NCAA would have given us the death penalty too because our own BOR and Governor would have turned us in.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The problem is your scenarios, while I would love to have those options, will never exist because coaches and fans want to win. People will ALWAYS fInd a way to cheat. And if you don’t think the Ivies recruiting isn’t cut throat with under the table “educements” then you are crazy. You can have whatever arbitrary threshold you want and someone will always have an extra dollar to offer.
My hypothetical "poll" wasn't intended to reflect reality - just a gauge of where different fans view their personal pain points for player compensation. And it was sort of a joke.