New recruit Petty $800,000 per year NIL

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My question is how in the world do you keep the rest of the team happy when they know two or three guys are making hundreds of thousands of dollars and they are not?
Answer is: you can’t. This is only an accelerator for portal activity. The rich will get richer…. How folks cannot see this I don’t know. However, we have no option but to go there.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I don't have any problem entering the wild wild west of NIL. If we are going to be competitive, that is what it will take. But in this case, if everything is true as I have read which has not been disputed with facts by people in the know, significantly outspending everyone for a 17 year old kid is over the top in my book, when Georgia Tech has so much to offer student athletes that our competitors cannot offer. This approach is not the Tech Way.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I don't have any problem entering the wild wild west of NIL. If we are going to be competitive, that is what it will take. But in this case, if everything is true as I have read which has not been disputed with facts by people in the know, significantly outspending everyone for a 17 year old kid is over the top in my book, when Georgia Tech has so much to offer student athletes that our competitors cannot offer. This approach is not the Tech Way.
I recently listened to an FSU podcast with Kelly Quinlan as their guest. According to KQ, FSU set the NIL rate, but GT got a "hometown discount". Take that for what it's worth.

Also, it is very much The Tech Way

Last edited:

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Good to know that you don't have a problem with how other people spend their money.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t have an issue with the money… but if you’re going to pay that much, I’d rather us spend it on a known commodity. Even if we have to overpay for a transfer, there is a high degree of certainty the player is worth it. With a high school recruit, there is the unknown of how fast they will develop and contribute. He’s probably not going to be the best player on the offensive line day one. How are the other players going to react if he doesn’t earn a starting spot as a freshman?
I see this over and over but how many portal guys are “known commodities” and have the game-changing potential of a five-star recruit? Maybe a dozen per year? And those guys are commanding well over a million, or even 2 million.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Once again, $800K is not outspending everyone. $800K is market rate. You can complain about how high market rate is (perhaps a better discussion for the future of college sports in general) but GT did not break the market with this deal. On3 projects three other OTs in the 2025 recruiting class alone to make over $800K. Any source telling you GT overpaid for Petty is pushing a narrative or trying to save face.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Once again, $800K is not outspending everyone. $800K is market rate. You can complain about how high market rate is (perhaps a better discussion for the future of college sports in general) but GT did not break the market with this deal. On3 projects three other OTs in the 2025 recruiting class alone to make over $800K. Any source telling you GT overpaid for Petty is pushing a narrative or trying to save face.

I don’t think GT is out of line with others in college football. My issue is college football has gone bat-crap mad and GT is now there, too.

Paying a fresh out of HS player, an 18-year-old - even a very good one - $800/year is bat-crap mad. Period. I don’t think that is really even disputable.

Think of all the world-changing professionals, who do actual work to advance society, who are still doing quite well, yet who don’t make but a fraction of that.

IMPO, it is a sign of a sickness in our society. Why is it so important that GT, or any other university, have a football program that wins, such that it makes us stoop to that level of bat-crap craziness?

All I can do is SMH.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
NIL is what will finally bring parity. I love it. The top players will now have more than the usual top 10 schools offering them money. And the top teams no longer have the NCAA to protect their bag men system. Saban recognized it and retired and is now very vocal because he sees that the stranglehold Bama and others had on the NCAA Enforcement office is over because the NCAA is now a toothless tiger. It’s freaking awesome. I’m gonna really enjoy watching these big state, mostly rural schools, who have ruled the system for decades now seeing their huge advantage of a payment system negated. Sure, they’ll still buy players but the market for those players has just quadrupled so guys like Petty will be picked off one by one. If this were 6 years ago Petty would have been given a bag of Benjamins and would have signed with Clemson, FSU, UGA, or Bama. But now, he can actually get cash AND an education.

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t think GT is out of line with others in college football. My issue is college football has gone bat-crap mad and GT is now there, too.

Paying a fresh out of HS player, an 18-year-old - even a very good one - $800/year is bat-crap mad. Period. I don’t think that is really even disputable.

Think of all the world-changing professionals, who do actual work to advance society, who are still doing quite well, yet who don’t make but a fraction of that.

IMPO, it is a sign of a sickness in our society. Why is it so important that GT, or any other university, have a football program that wins, such that it makes us stoop to that level of bat-crap craziness?

All I can do is SMH.
This is such a terrible take. It matters bc millions of people pay to watch it and eventually the money flows into the hands of the players. It matters so much that you’re on a message board talking to other fans about it

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I think there’s a tendency for engineering types like me to rationalize value based on tangible attributes. For example, thinking an item should be worth X dollars based on Y manufacturing costs + Z profit margin. If we encounter something priced like that plus some ridiculously large extra intangible amount, we think, “That’s crazy!”.

This line of thinking falls apart when looking at prices routinely paid for entertainment, art, or indulgences like collectibles. The fact is, the value of something is what the market thinks it is, which is not always A+B = C.

I think most of us want to be in “The Club” at this critical juncture for college football. But we have to pay the price of admission.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

All I can do is SMH.
Totally fair since sports adds nothing to society when compared to a doctor or a teacher. Like I said, hate the system all you want.

I personally am okay with GT playing the game. I’ve referenced before I come from an Alabama family. The amount of money flowing into that university since Saban arrived is insane - not just sports but the whole university. Billions of dollars flowed into new business buildings, a new engineering quad, new performing arts center, law building, medical center, hospital, scholarships for better students, improved academic rankings… Advertising in the form of sports can be a good for the Institute too, though it comes with unfortunate side effects like paying a player more than all his professors. We may be reaching beyond the scope of this thread though.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
We have all been asking for big boy football and here we are.
That's what big boy football is in 2024 but that's not what alot of were wanting when we asked for Big Boy FB. My love for CFB is waning big time because of what 2024 Big Boy football is. And I'm not the only one. But one thing that those of us have in common...gray hair and beer bellies.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is such a terrible take. It matters bc millions of people pay to watch it and eventually the money flows into the hands of the players. It matters so much that you’re on a message board talking to other fans about it
LOL @ terrible take. SMH.

Paying a guy barely out of HS $800K a year who has proven *nothing* at the college level is stupid at face value. You can love it all you want, to me, it just reveals misplaced values.

Now, TBH, I have no problem “paying” college athletes for their performance. The 6-figure value of an education, plus all the perks, was a very nice remuneration package for them. It had great lifelong worth.

Allowing bidding wars at the level of $800K a year is decadent beyond measure, IMPO.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
LOL @ terrible take. SMH.

Paying a guy barely out of HS $800K a year who has proven *nothing* at the college level is stupid at face value. You can love it all you want, to me, it just reveals misplaced values.

Now, TBH, I have no problem “paying” college athletes for their performance. The 6-figure value of an education, plus all the perks, was a very nice remuneration package for them. It had great lifelong worth.

Allowing bidding wars at the level of $800K a year is decadent beyond measure, IMPO.
How is that different from an NFL team guaranteeing tens of millions to a 1st round draft pick who has proven nothing at the NFL level? In 2007, JeMarcus Russell was picked #1 in the NFL draft and had a contract guarantee of $31.5 million. He was a bust in the NFL.

How is that different from a VC putting $1 million into a startup that hasn't made a profit, and doesn't actually have their product finished yet? This happens all of the time. VCs try to get into multiple companies. They know that many or most of them will be busts. They are hoping that at least one of them will skyrocket and make up for all of the failures.

It appears that you are thinking about things from a consumer standpoint. I myself analyze things before I purchase them. I want to get a car at a good price that will be comfortable enough and will have low maintenance costs. From a sports player acquisition perspective, you can't use that type of analysis. You have to build a team based on projections. Do you believe that this player will have the ability to play well? Do you believe that this player will fit into the culture on the team? Do you believe that this player will be able to thrive at your school? If you wait until the players have all played, and you know what they can do, they will not be on your team. You might not like that a kid straight out of HS is making a lot of money, but that doesn't matter. From a coach's standpoint, he has to build the best team he can build. The alternative is to understand that you will not win.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
How quick some of us are to rush to judgment about misplaced values and to extrapolate that to society in general.

It’s reasonable to assume that large NIL amounts are primarily funded by a few extremely wealthy individuals. It's also reasonable to assume that these very wealthy individuals also give generously to other charitable causes that help society in many other ways. I’m ok with that.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Fact #1…none of us have any idea how this agreement is structured. Does its payout depend in any way on performance or longevity on the team? What happens with injuries? Suppose the kid flunks out? (Not AT ALL saying that’s likely, but you get the point). What if he hangs on but underperforms? What if he transfers? What if he goes pro? There are probably plenty of details we simply don’t know.

Until we know exactly how all this stuff works, it is premature to say this is a horrible deal/situation.

All we really know is that we are now trying to play with the big boys. If you don’t like that, there are Ivy League schools (Or Georgia State) who probably would welcome your support. Without any financial contributions, of course.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Don't know this but wonder if CFB eventually takes the place of professional FB. Not sure but think there may be a lot of hidden problems in the pros that will start to come out somewhere in the future. Speculation on my part but not without some info that leads me to wonder. Also we have soccer growing in the youth and FB seems to be dropping coupled with my speculation. Time will tell.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Fact #1…none of us have any idea how this agreement is structured. Does its payout depend in any way on performance or longevity on the team? What happens with injuries? Suppose the kid flunks out? (Not AT ALL saying that’s likely, but you get the point). What if he hangs on but underperforms? What if he transfers? What if he goes pro? There are probably plenty of details we simply don’t know.

Until we know exactly how all this stuff works, it is premature to say this is a horrible deal/situation.

All we really know is that we are now trying to play with the big boys. If you don’t like that, there are Ivy League schools (Or Georgia State) who probably would welcome your support. Without any financial contributions, of course.

Had similar thoughts in Petty's recruiting thread.
Just speculating, but I can't help but think that Josh's and other NIL deals come with stipulations before payout.
Such as:
  • Must be enrolled full-time student in good standing. Possibly even some GPA incentives.
  • Grants The Tech Way rights to use his NIL in advertising, event appearances, and so on.
  • Staying out of trouble (Kirby, are you reading this?).
  • Perhaps some performance incentives - game appearances, starts, PFF grades, and so forth. Some of these could get messy, so perhaps some team-based incentives too.