New Offense?

Who wants to see us move back to a more traditional offense? Just curious to see everyones take...

• Yay

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 198 87.2%

• Total voters

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We need to be able to move the ball down the field with a hurry up shotgun passing attack when needed. CPJ is to stubborn for his own good in this regard. Down 6 with 80 yards to go and less than two minutes to play is no time to be under center in our triple option base offense.

I guess then down 3 with 13 seconds left on our own 43 yard line, this offense is not capable of gaining 21 yards and out of bounds to get us in field goal range. Totally incapable of plays greater than 20 yards.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is a fair question to ask, but we have to remind ourselves, we are one season removed from having the most statistically dominant offense in the decade long history of the efficiency stats. There have been a lot of good offenses in college football over the last ten seasons. ALL OF THEM finished at least a distant second to ours. Think about that. Systems don't need to change when that happens. We didn't have a Heisman candidate playing for us and we didn't have anybody individually even sniffing any kind of national award in the skill positions. All we had was good players for a good system.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Boomer,

I think at least some of the people who push for a spread passing offense believe that that offense is more exciting. In my opinion, our current offense is very exciting watching it from the end zone. You can see holes open up. You can see the lead AB making blocks to open up the QB or the pitch.(Although this year it seemed to be more missing that block than making it.) I stand up many times during the game because I see a large lane open up. Sometimes it is a big gain, sometimes it isn't. However, even when it isn't, is is exciting to be able to see the plays developing.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I agree @Boomergump about the system it's good. Not sure if its great or if it can win a NC. That's my thoughts. Now it took me awhile to warm up to the O but two 10 win seasons did that. This past season really dents my perception again but I'll just call it an aberration.

I like the O sense it's not going anywhere and CPJ will be the head coach for at least another 2 to 3 seasons. I would like to see tweaks in the passing game and perhaps a shotgun snap on 3rd and 20.

Last edited:

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Add a button that says we make some changes to the scheme we have now and I will vote for that.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I will always love the triple option under center. But, I've found a helluva mistress with Willie Fritz's shotgun spread option. He's taken Monken's traditional option recruits and fit them into his system nicely. If he can win over the old school Statesboro option crowd, well, you know it works!

The biggest difference I love is the zone blocking. No more watch big OL "diving for donuts".

Fritz does want to pass more and as his QB and skill position recruits come on board (if he's even at GS much longer) things will be evolving around the talent. But, he'll never have a QB slinging it 40 times a game.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I swear if we put JT at shotgun to run the offense he would be incredible. He works best in space...when you put him under center you completely limit his talents. Did you see his high school tape? I think the reads would be much easier as well.
You've got to be kidding.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The 2014 offense we had was far and away the best offense I have seen. 2015 was poor because of youth and injuries. 2016 will be awesome again. Don't change the offense!

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
It's a sampling bias problem. On some other Tech Boards it would be a 99% yes.

Would it though? The majority of folks who are posting on message boards right now are those that are pissed off. I can't fathom the number of new posters that have come out of the woodwork on just this site the last few weeks to gripe about (or in a lot of cases what seems more gloating about) the failures this year. The tone of this board and most of the recent posts are overwhelmingly negative. Yet, this poll shows that the overwhelming belief of most of the forum members is towards staying the course and working to fix things. It is always the negative complainers that seem the loudest. Aside from Jim and his site with 10 ppl left, I suspect polls on the Hive and StingTalk would look about the same as this one. Never underestimate the power of those who are dissatisfied to complain the loudest.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
I have said for several years that we have to have other formations or schemes when the TO isn't working or in obvious passing situations. I sat at the UGA game with a gentleman that played in the ACC and for several years in the pros and he also said we need to have a plan B offense to change things up. I love our offense but we need to have other options. Pun intended

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I swear if we put JT at shotgun to run the offense he would be incredible. He works best in space...when you put him under center you completely limit his talents. Did you see his high school tape? I think the reads would be much easier as well.

as with most Qb's now days.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
People keep mentioning Auburn. Y'all know they sucked this year, right? But for an overtime win over FCS Jacksonville State, they're home for Christmas just like us.

1. they have been competitive for a few years
2. they are still going to a bowl.
3. don't bash the FCS wins. that's 2 of the 3 for GT, barring a "miracle" that's the only 2 we get this year.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there are smart athletic kids that could meet the education requirements and come to GT if there was a change. I don't think GT gets a look from some of those b/c of the O. A few playmakers could make a huge difference.
Before you go analyzing numbers, we will never know the true impact, b/c some may rule out GT before even being offered or looked at.

Just my .02.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I have said for several years that we have to have other formations or schemes when the TO isn't working or in obvious passing situations. I sat at the UGA game with a gentleman that played in the ACC and for several years in the pros and he also said we need to have a plan B offense to change things up. I love our offense but we need to have other options. Pun intended

you have to.
if not, it's 3-9 every year. shut down the run and GT implodes.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
1. they have been competitive for a few years
2. they are still going to a bowl.
3. don't bash the FCS wins. that's 2 of the 3 for GT, barring a "miracle" that's the only 2 we get this year.

Sorry forgot Tulane wasn't FCS. but they should be

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think there are smart athletic kids that could meet the education requirements and come to GT if there was a change. I don't think GT gets a look from some of those b/c of the O. A few playmakers could make a huge difference.
Before you go analyzing numbers, we will never know the true impact, b/c some may rule out GT before even being offered or looked at.

Just my .02.

The data doesn't support this observation. On the whole (that is, more than one cherry picked year of 2007), our recruiting with a different O was worse than it is now.