New Offense?

Who wants to see us move back to a more traditional offense? Just curious to see everyones take...

• Yay

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 198 87.2%

• Total voters

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Move back to a "more traditional" offense? Define "traditional." ;)

Strictly for fan banter purposes, and . . .

Speaking only as a know-little, never-coached fan who has long appreciated the CPJ offense and wants it to continue (albeit far better than what we saw in 2015), I confess to wanting the "tweak" of having and using a pistol- or shotgun package to use in hardcore 3rd-and-forever or 4th-and-everyone-in-the-stadium-knows-a-pass attempt-is-coming situations. That said, I'm certainly not going to agonize over it if CPJ doesn't do it.

Intrigued with The Citadel's improvement in just two seasons under coach Mike Houston, I've found it kinda cool that those particular Bulldogs occasionally run option out of what is essentially the "T formation," more specifically, something close to the "T-bone" which hasn't been seen in ages -- a T formation alignment in the backfield, but often with two wide receivers instead of two tight ends. (In the early '70s, Texas A&M under wishbone pioneer Emory Bellard had some success doing it as a variation on the better-known wishbone and veer offenses.) Under The Citadel's version, the A-backs tend to line up not as tight as the '70s original T-bone, but not outside the tackles as in the standard "double slot" formation operated by Tech and Navy. Should CPJ explore the notion of dusting off the T-bone? I dunno -- but if he did, fine by me.

Just for kicks, here are some highlights from the '74 Texas A&M season, you can see numerous instances of them running option out of the T.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
New offense.
I hope to see so we can do better in close games by getting to line quickly and running so preplaned platys.
Have some set plays we can run without coach making a wrinked brow,
telling some one who gets play to players,
who line up then look to sideline,
Who signals play adjustments,
Which are then communicate d to each player.
Hike.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Move back to a "more traditional" offense? Define "traditional." ;)

Strictly for fan banter purposes, and . . .

Speaking only as a know-little, never-coached fan who has long appreciated the CPJ offense and wants it to continue (albeit far better than what we saw in 2015), I confess to wanting the "tweak" of having and using a pistol- or shotgun package to use in hardcore 3rd-and-forever or 4th-and-everyone-in-the-stadium-knows-a-pass attempt-is-coming situations. That said, I'm certainly not going to agonize over it if CPJ doesn't do it.

Intrigued with The Citadel's improvement in just two seasons under coach Mike Houston, I've found it kinda cool that those particular Bulldogs occasionally run option out of what is essentially the "T formation," more specifically, something close to the "T-bone" which hasn't been seen in ages -- a T formation alignment in the backfield, but often with two wide receivers instead of two tight ends. (In the early '70s, Texas A&M under wishbone pioneer Emory Bellard had some success doing it as a variation on the better-known wishbone and veer offenses.) Under The Citadel's version, the A-backs tend to line up not as tight as the '70s original T-bone, but not outside the tackles as in the standard "double slot" formation operated by Tech and Navy. Should CPJ explore the notion of dusting off the T-bone? I dunno -- but if he did, fine by me.

Just for kicks, here are some highlights from the '74 Texas A&M season, you can see numerous instances of them running option out of the T.

Bill yohman at u houston 1969 did this with the veer but put wr WIDE. they would max protect and throw long with great success. Okla u doing similar offense this year.
Like a concept of moving ab in then shifting / motion SO OL GET BETTER BLOCKING ANGLES.
Not going to happen but fun to discuss.