New Offense?

Who wants to see us move back to a more traditional offense? Just curious to see everyones take...

• Yay

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 198 87.2%

• Total voters

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Friedgen adapted his offense to infuse the option but he didn't run an option offense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The run and shoot offense is dead can it be buried.
I mean sure run some of the concepts but most teams have modified it and made it more contemporary as a spread, i.e. Air Raid

Maybe it's time for CPJ to update his passing concept.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
you have to.
if not, it's 3-9 every year. shut down the run and GT implodes.

I was stuck in traffic after the game and turned on the 750AM DAWG postgame discussions. Kevin Butler and the commentator were discussing how GA won the game. One of them remarked that you can beat Tech by shutting down the run because they cannot pass: "they think they have a passing game but really they do not". Unfortunately I have to agree with their analysis.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I do wish we had a better 2-minute offense. I don't care if that involves the shotgun, 3-4 WR sets or whatever. I know we've done pretty well at times in that situation, but I think more often than not, we don't look very good when we MUST score in two minutes. Scoring in two minutes when there's 13 minutes left in the half and scoring in 2 minutes when there's 2:15 left in the half are a little different.
The issue with this is that it leaves off a critical part of the analysis. In order to measure our performance in 2:00 situations, you must also know what everyone else does in the same situation. Are they more successful? Less? Maybe because we play fewer possessions, we find ourselves in fewer 2:00 drills in the first place. I'm not sure what the answers are, but simply saying we don't look good, so let's go to a four wide, shotgun set is pretty incomplete.

I have long thought that we should have one play in a shotgun, five wide set, even if it's QB draw, that we could use in the 2nd half to force the opposition to burn a timeout, because there's no way they'd have the personnel on the field to match up with that.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I get what you're saying and sorta agree about the obvious passing situations but how many other teams have a "Plan B?" If we are struggling to run our bread and butter offense, you think we can go to our "secondary" offense and succeed? Keeping in mind, that practice time in college is very limited.

I think what he means is most other teams aren't as one dimensional.
I was stuck in traffic after the game and turned on the 750AM DAWG postgame discussions. Kevin Butler and the commentator were discussing how GA won the game. One of them remarked that you can beat Tech by shutting down the run because they cannot pass: "they think they have a passing game but really they do not". Unfortunately I have to agree with their analysis.

I completely agree with them. If I played GT, I put 9 in the box and dare them to throw. We have seen what happen with 11 guys within 4 yards from the line on 3rd down.... FB dive.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
A plan B would be anything from having a shotgun formation or sets that have up to 4 receivers. It is possible to run the option with 3 receivers. We always deploy 2 A backs as receivers and I don't care who you are, they can't run routes as good as a receiver. There is plenty of time to develop a more broad offense with the players at practice. It isn't that difficult.

It'd work the pass protection was good enough. Of course, if the pass protection was good enough, there wouldn't be need a alternate offense because the defense couldn't completely sell out to the run. The current passing game has receivers getting open. The problem is that the protection time provided by pass protection is equal to the distance from the line of scrimmage to the quarterback divided by the speed of the defender.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Whatever happens PJ had better evolve AND FAST because the defenses have evolved to stop this one trick pony we have been riding.

I agree. I think it was last year's 11 win, Orange Bowl victory season that did it. The 250+ prior games CPJ has coached using his system were just not enough tape for opposing coaches. I don't think even opposing ACC coaches bothered trying to figure out how to stop it when we had a 37-19 ACC record and 3 ACC championship appearances in his first 7 seasons. However, after last season, I think coaches finally decided, for the first time, to try to figure out how to stop it. And they did. One trick pony solved! I mean, it must be that and certainly not that we just weren't a good team last year. That makes more sense. (149 posts, 30 likes...hmmm.)

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
YES. Run and shoot type offense where maybe we can attract the type of players that have a chance at playing on Sunday. In about 4 or 5 years the total number of players from GT in the NFL will be embarrassing.

I agree with this too. We need to get back to Georgia Tech's storied history of putting prized QBs into the NFL. Remember ol' Billy Lothridge? He played 3rd string QB for the Cowboys in 1964. And Mike Kelley played for the San Diego Chargers as a replacement player during the 1987 strike. Rick Strom had an unbelievable NFL career of almost 23 passes. Joe Hamilton even played four downs in regular-season games. What a long and proud history of NFL QBs that has been ruined by stupid Paul Johnson and his stupid offense. Ever since Paul Johnson has been here, we just haven't gotten those NFL QBs we used to regularly get.

And a run and shoot offense will also help us get NFL caliber receivers, which we absolutely have just had zero success with under Paul Johnson. Five wide receivers to the NFL in 8 years is not a drop in the bucket compared to the talent we were producing at WR before he got here! Rable! Rable! Rable!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Refute it all you want, but my eyes aren't lying. Many other teams are much better at the 2-minute offense than we are.

...and I didn't say anything about 3rd and long, but since you brought it up, yes...we were great last year on third and long. However, most of those plays involved jump balls or back shoulder throws to Smelter. This basically seems like our only answer to those situations. If we still had him, we might have looked better on third down this year. I guess we just have to wait until we get an NFL caliber receiver again to be good on third and long.

Tifwiw, but ref to your eyes suggests to me confirmation bias. You assert generalities (with no data) against a particular (with no data). On what basis can we agree that your eyes aren't lying?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@GTRX7 is on a roll. I don't remember being such a fan of a series of posts!

If the rotary engine were not such an 8 track beta max offense to the purity of Detroit engineering, I'd subscribe.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
The run and shoot offense is dead can it be buried.
I mean sure run some of the concepts but most teams have modified it and made it more contemporary as a spread, i.e. Air Raid

Maybe it's time for CPJ to update his passing concept.
I mean, adding air raid plays seems feasible to me, and probably interesting to think about.

But with our pass protection options is seems like we're discussing optimizing the turbo when the transmission is disconnected: It might be cool, but it's not going to matter. (As long as we're engaging in automotive metaphors)

Last edited:

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Thats part of what I am referring to. Whether or not we could or should start evolving and including a shotgun option attack such as Auburn in a way. I think when a good thrower comes along, that would help him as well. Just a thought
Auburn, really this is the plan. Have you seen them play the last two years and with better athletes than Tech. Auburn's coach is on the hot seat.But somehow it will work at Tech.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Passing game needs to get better. I'm not saying we should throw more than 10-15 times a game, but I wish we were more creative. It seems like we aren't really taking advantage of the open areas of the field. We try to go deep a lot when it'd be so simple to pick up the first down with a swing pass or a screen. We could be so much more dangerous if we could execute this type of stuff better.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Its really simple either we get better offensively next year or most likely it will CPJ last.......... he knows it, I know it, and you know it.........he has a date for the prom and he's going to dance with her.........truly I think the only person who has a vote in any changes to the offense would be Justin Thomas.......

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this too. We need to get back to Georgia Tech's storied history of putting prized QBs into the NFL. Remember ol' Billy Lothridge? He played 3rd string QB for the Cowboys in 1964. And Mike Kelley played for the San Diego Chargers as a replacement player during the 1987 strike. Rick Strom had an unbelievable NFL career of almost 23 passes. Joe Hamilton even played four downs in regular-season games. What a long and proud history of NFL QBs that has been ruined by stupid Paul Johnson and his stupid offense. Ever since Paul Johnson has been here, we just haven't gotten those NFL QBs we used to regularly get.

And a run and shoot offense will also help us get NFL caliber receivers, which we absolutely have just had zero success with under Paul Johnson. Five wide receivers to the NFL in 8 years is not a drop in the bucket compared to the talent we were producing at WR before he got here! Rable! Rable! Rable!
This is satire at it's finest. Thank you, sir. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Its really simple either we get better offensively next year or most likely it will CPJ last.......... he knows it, I know it, and you know it.........he has a date for the prom and he's going to dance with her.........truly I think the only person who has a vote in any changes to the offense would be Justin Thomas.......

Dude, they extended his contract through 2020. He's going to be around until at least 2018 no matter what happens.