New Movies

Jk8Fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Midnight Sky - Clooney's answer to Brad Pitt's Ad Astra for space movies that have no point whatsoever.

After watching it, my recommendation is to skip it.
Spoilers, but I agree, don't watch it.

There are a lot of plot issues with the movie. The returning spaceship having no clue something happened on earth. I find it hard to believe that some sort of communication wouldn't have gotten to them at some point.

The obvious "someone gonna die" spacewalk to repair the ship. And if something pierced her suit, shouldn't it have quickly decompressed?

Going through an "unmapped" part of space near earth that has a meteor field (the reason for the walk). Wut? All the advances of man to go to Jupiter and you don't have a potential pathway near earth mapped?

He didn't freeze to death after plunging into arctic water?

The artificial gravity of the spaceship. For one, their sitting position would be like you sitting on the wall of a room on earth. Also, the view out the spaceship window wasn't moving. You're in a spinning room. It is like the gravitron ride at the carnival. Plus, the speed of the spin is wayyyy faster than needed to generate 1G

Could pretty much go through the entire movie pointing out the laziness and bad science and writing of the script

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Midnight Sky - Clooney's answer to Brad Pitt's Ad Astra for space movies that have no point whatsoever.

After watching it, my recommendation is to skip it.
Thanks for the tip. I was getting that vibe from some other reviews I’ve read. Having endured Ad Astra, I‘ll pass on this re-tread.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Spoilers, but I agree, don't watch it.

There are a lot of plot issues with the movie. The returning spaceship having no clue something happened on earth. I find it hard to believe that some sort of communication wouldn't have gotten to them at some point.

The obvious "someone gonna die" spacewalk to repair the ship. And if something pierced her suit, shouldn't it have quickly decompressed?

Going through an "unmapped" part of space near earth that has a meteor field (the reason for the walk). Wut? All the advances of man to go to Jupiter and you don't have a potential pathway near earth mapped?

He didn't freeze to death after plunging into arctic water?

The artificial gravity of the spaceship. For one, their sitting position would be like you sitting on the wall of a room on earth. Also, the view out the spaceship window wasn't moving. You're in a spinning room. It is like the gravitron ride at the carnival. Plus, the speed of the spin is wayyyy faster than needed to generate 1G

Could pretty much go through the entire movie pointing out the laziness and bad science and writing of the script

"He didn't freeze to death after plunging into arctic water?"

This was the exact moment I decided this was gonna go off the rails & disappoint.

"The obvious "someone gonna die" spacewalk to repair the ship. And if something pierced her suit, shouldn't it have quickly decompressed?"

This was the exact moment when I was gonna come to the board with a rare "Do Not Watch" suggestion.

And then the ending that you thought was telegraphed, but maybe it wasn't, and then sure enough... It was.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The movie industry is so lazy nowadays. Why ruin such an all time classic film?

Because, myself included, are so willing to inject the morphine drip of nostalgia.

The original is the best comedic movie of all time though.

slugboy

Staff member
Because, myself included, are so willing to inject the morphine drip of nostalgia.

The original is the best comedic movie of all time though.
I about died laughing watching Ruthless People, 40 year old virgin, Stripes, Animal House, Kung Fu Hustle, Office Space, Naked Gun, Hot Fuzz, Sean of the Dead, Spinal Tap, A Fish Called Wanda, the Big Lebowski, and Trading Places (which might be my favorite Christmas movie).
I think there are a few contenders for funniest movie ever :LOL:
Trivia: Harold Ramis wrote, directed, or produced Animal House, Groundhog Day, Stripes, Ghostbusters, and National Lampoon’s Vacation, among other movies. Just amazing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I about died laughing watching Ruthless People, 40 year old virgin, Stripes, Animal House, Kung Fu Hustle, Office Space, Naked Gun, Hot Fuzz, Sean of the Dead, Spinal Tap, A Fish Called Wanda, the Big Lebowski, and Trading Places (which might be my favorite Christmas movie).
Trivia: Harold Ramis wrote, directed, or produced Animal House, Groundhog Day, Stripes, Ghostbusters, and National Lampoon’s Vacation, among other movies. Just amazing.
You list many strong contenders, but the Champ lives in Zamunda.

Milwaukee

Banned
Anyone with Hot Fuzz in their top 10 is ok in my book.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Watched irresistible last night (Jon Stewart political comedy with Steve Carell and Rose Byrne leading) and thought it was a pretty good, easy to watch and laugh at then also piercing criticism of $’s influence in our political system in that breezy intellectual way Jon Stewart used to bring to us regularly from the daily show.