New Movies

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just finished watching Many Saints of Newark. It was pretty good. Solid B/B+.
As I've thought more about this movie, I'm downgrading to a B-.

Thinking about it further, it's essentially The Sopranos' take on X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
As I've thought more about this movie, I'm downgrading to a B-.

Thinking about it further, it's essentially The Sopranos' take on X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
It was a "getting back in the groove" movie for David Chase. The following movie will focus on Tony S and his rise to capo. It should be a much better film and have many of the stories that were told during the series.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Just finished “The harder they Fall”.

Thought it was definitely worth a watch, and will probably rewatch at some point later.

Resisting the Django comparison- though it was Tarantino like.

Really good flick.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Anybody else seen The Eternals?

My thumbnail reaction is that it was only OK in its plot and story arc. I was annoyed by the wokeness and homage to diversity, which to me seemed a bit overdone. EVERY leadership role was female (Head Celestial, Head Eternal, replacement leader of Eternals) while the 'bad guys' were male. And of course there had to be a gay Eternal who was the primary family role model in the whole story. Had the story and plot been great, I probably would have overlooked those weaknesses as being somewhat minor, but since it did not blow me away anyway, those elements seemed even more annoying.

Somehow there ought to be a way to have diversity without making it so "in your face". Curious what others thought about it all?

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Just rented "Old Henry" on Prime,,
Slow,, but worth a watch,, interesting twist at the end,,, I like movies where an unexpected person becomes a b**a**!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A series "Medici" on Netflix I think and really good. Love European history shows with good cinematography and dialogue. Watched all three seasons over a couple weeks (2 a night).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody else seen The Eternals?

My thumbnail reaction is that it was only OK in its plot and story arc. I was annoyed by the wokeness and homage to diversity, which to me seemed a bit overdone. EVERY leadership role was female (Head Celestial, Head Eternal, replacement leader of Eternals) while the 'bad guys' were male. And of course there had to be a gay Eternal who was the primary family role model in the whole story. Had the story and plot been great, I probably would have overlooked those weaknesses as being somewhat minor, but since it did not blow me away anyway, those elements seemed even more annoying.

Somehow there ought to be a way to have diversity without making it so "in your face". Curious what others thought about it all?
I gave it a B- overall, due to some stiff acting, shallow character development, the movement through points in history making it a bit unwieldy.

The diversity of cast chosen & characters was fine, I thought. Reasonable representation of the broad audience it's going to attract.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A series "Medici" on Netflix I think and really good. Love European history shows with good cinematography and dialogue. Watched all three seasons over a couple weeks (2 a night).
I watched it as well. It was fascinating. Seemed to be fairly representative of its era, although I would wonder sometimes if the characters were a lot cleaner than they were in real life. Hygiene in those days was generally quite poor, and frequently poor folk thought one could catch all kinds of diseases from bathing, so they would avoid it. Otherwise, it was great!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I gave it a B- overall, due to some stiff acting, shallow character development, the movement through points in history making it a bit unwieldy.

The diversity of cast chosen & characters was fine, I thought. Reasonable representation of the broad audience it's going to attract.
Yeah, a B- or even a C+...somewhere in that range. Not terrible, but no where near some of the best Marvel movies...