New Movies

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Fair enough.
Zealots by definition tend to take things to the extreme, so its a slippery slope attributing the acts of zealotry to someone other than the perpetrator.
If you apply an even hand to everyone working up the zealots and praying on emotions to further their agenda (or grift, if you will), then I have no issue at all with this position.

This is the sad part. I think the normal ones among us are doing just that. But it gets lost in the nonsensical noise.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is the sad part. I think the normal ones among us are doing just that. But it gets lost in the nonsensical noise.
And, not to keep running on in the mouth, but this is what bothers me most. An issue that needs more attention is going to get muddied up in the controversy that this film seems to be creating. I hope I’m wrong about this but early signs on the talk show circuits are not encouraging.

There’s a decent NPR story about why this turned so political so fast.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For those who like Wes Anderson films I think “Asteroid City” may be his best yet. Funny, existential and absurdist, it also delivers some subtle aha moments, like if you’ve ever had your car break down in the desert and started pondering the meaning of life.

Anderson films are not for everyone and definitely have a niche audience but there is a reason he consistently is able to assemble huge numbers of A-list actors for his films.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
“Retribution” is a fast, action packed ride. Most of you have seen the trailer. Mathew Modine has come a long way since starting his career off with Nicholas Cage in the independent film, “Birdy.” Liam Neeson, much the same lead role as in “Taken.”

slugboy

Staff member
Godzilla Minus One is a heckuva movie. 🎥

It’s only in Japanese, but it’s a fun movie—one of the best of 2023.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Movies that were good stories but felt pedestrian in their execution:

Maestro
The Boys in the Boat

Movies that delivered:

Oppenheimer
The Leftovers

But I’m still waiting for a great movie.

I’ve seen several small independent films but they’re not going to have mass appeal.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
For those who like Wes Anderson films I think “Asteroid City” may be his best yet. Funny, existential and absurdist, it also delivers some subtle aha moments, like if you’ve ever had your car break down in the desert and started pondering the meaning of life.

Anderson films are not for everyone and definitely have a niche audience but there is a reason he consistently is able to assemble huge numbers of A-list actors for his films.
I watched it today. I wasn’t stoned so it was a total waste of time for me. I thought it was completely stupid.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I watched it today. I wasn’t stoned so it was a total waste of time for me. I thought it was completely stupid.
That’s why I said Wes Anderson isn’t for everyone.

I like Cohen brothers movies too as well as David Lynch, so I like absurdity.

The car mechanic bit had me laughing out loud. But maybe it’s because I had a similar “diagnostic test” when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere South Georgia on a Sunday afternoon.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s why I said Wes Anderson isn’t for everyone.

I like Cohen brothers movies too as well as David Lynch, so I like absurdity.

The car mechanic bit had me laughing out loud. But maybe it’s because I had a similar “diagnostic test” when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere South Georgia on a Sunday afternoon.
I did like the roadrunner dance during the end credits. I’ve liked other WA movies, Moonrise Kingdom being my favorite.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man, do we need a bad movies thread?

I tried to watch that new Aquaman. I got about 12 minutes in and had to turn it off. If it was dvd, I mightve driven around to toss it out the window.

slugboy

Staff member
Man, do we need a bad movies thread?

I tried to watch that new Aquaman. I got about 12 minutes in and had to turn it off. If it was dvd, I mightve driven around to toss it out the window.
They filmed that movie, then his costar lost the lawsuit against Johnny Depp. So, they reshot the movie to take her out of as many scenes as possible.

I haven’t seen the movie, but I hear the plot didn’t survive the surgery

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What about movies that aren’t that great but you enjoyed anyway?

I enjoyed One Love in spite of myself. Could have been a good movie but the writing was pretty pedestrian. But I like Marley and his story has always fascinated me.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m sorry I didn’t recommend “Godzilla Minus One” and “The boy and the heron” while they were in theaters.

Godzilla Minus One was *&$# good.

Dune 2 is also something to see in a theater

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What about movies that aren’t that great but you enjoyed anyway?

I enjoyed One Love in spite of myself. Could have been a good movie but the writing was pretty pedestrian. But I like Marley and his story has always fascinated me.

I am a big fan of cheese. For that reason I loved "Lock Out" with Guy Pearce. Ridiculous premise, but also alot of action and i think its hilarious.

SWMBO and I are going to see "Knox Goes Away" this weekend. It looks really good.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We went to see Dune 2 yesterday and ..... meh.

Would have loved to have the subtitles on because i couldn't understand a damn word Javier Bardem was saying for three hours.

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan

Wes is definitely niche. I imagine his casts enjoy the dramatic change from what they normally do. Clearly, they enjoy working with him as so many actors work with him routinely. Life Aquatic still holds a special place with me… maybe just came out at the right time… fun soundtrack… Sigur Ros bringing those tears to your eyes with “Staralfur” towards the end.

I appreciate that Wes has his own style and doesn’t change to broaden the market. It leads me to see him as more an “artist”.

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not usually one to encourage reboots, superheroes, etc., but with all of the reboots and video game adaptations, etc., we’ve seen that seem to be overdone or even forced, I’m surprised we don’t have a contemporary D*ck Tracy (film noir detective) or live-action Zelda.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not usually one to encourage reboots, superheroes, etc., but with all of the reboots and video game adaptations, etc., we’ve seen that seem to be overdone or even forced, I’m surprised we don’t have a contemporary D*ck Tracy (film noir detective) or live-action Zelda.
Nintendo is real strict on their IPs. the failure of the live action Mario from years ago spooked the hell out of them and they pretty much wont let anyone make movies with their IPs