New Movies

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watched Dune on HBO Max. Really enjoyed it and it left you wanting more. Despite being 2.5 hours, it framed up to be just the beginning of the story.

I think I'm glad I have no recollection of the original movie from when I was younger. Lord knows I'm not going to be capable of reading the tomes that make up the series of books.

slugboy

Staff member
Watched Dune on HBO Max. Really enjoyed it and it left you wanting more. Despite being 2.5 hours, it framed up to be just the beginning of the story.

I think I'm glad I have no recollection of the original movie from when I was younger. Lord knows I'm not going to be capable of reading the tomes that make up the series of books.
The books are selling out.

This movie was so much better cast than the Lynch movie, it’s not funny. It’s a better adaptation too—much less monologing

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I have the exact same reaction and opinion.

Congrats, you're officially a kg burner account.

slugboy

Staff member
Finally watched Shang-Chi.

Inoffensive. It lands in the great middle of Marvel movies, and is ahead of boring fare like “The Lost World”. The fight scenes early in the movie were well done. The move to CGI later in the movie had to happen, I guess, but it took away from the strength of the movie which was more Jackie Chan/Jet Li-style fight scenes.

There is an “epic battle” at the end of the movie, but it’s the weakest in the film.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Finally watched Shang-Chi.

Inoffensive. It lands in the great middle of Marvel movies, and is ahead of boring fare like “The Lost World”. The fight scenes early in the movie were well done. The move to CGI later in the movie had to happen, I guess, but it took away from the strength of the movie which was more Jackie Chan/Jet Li-style fight scenes.

There is an “epic battle” at the end of the movie, but it’s the weakest in the film.
The end to me looked like they had to move to a sound stage. Not sure if that was because of covid or just a design choice.

The final sets almost reminded me of The Wizard of Oz.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
By far, one of the best martial arts movies is Revenger on NetFlix,,, the movie is cheesy, but the Taekwondo is outstanding! The star, Bruce Khan, in a interview, said that they were low budget and everything was one or two takes& no special effects,,,, He worked with Bruce Lee (thus the name??) & had other stunt man work before this,,, 30 minutes in is a great fight scene if you can't stomach the movie!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
PB Falcon was a good one!

Save your time, money and eyesight on “Belfast.” Highly overrated.
I have Irish blood running through me, while respecting most of Kenneth Branagh films. Two thumbs down!!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Paul Schrader, who directed Taxi Driver, City Hall, First Reformed, American Gigolo, Raging Bull, Affliction, Forever Mine and a host of other good films, has come out with what looks like an award winner for Best Picture of 2021.

”The Card Counter,” is not really about poker. It’s really about life, taking risks, loyalty and a touch of love. Might be the most complete cinematic presentation I’ve watched in the last 3 to 4 years. Highly recommend this one!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
“Licorice Pizza” was funny, if you desire something lite.

“Mothering Sunday,” is a period piece from the UK. Very sexy, for a Film 4 production. Frontal, behind, sideways, every way, nudity. Colin Firth, back in a serious role. Story of writer, Jane Fairchild, based on Graham Swift’s novel.
The story takes place on Mother's Day in 1924. Mr. and Mrs. Evan give their housekeeper, Jane Fairchild (Odessa Young), the day off, as the couple are set to go to their neighbour's house to celebrate his engagement. The truth is Jane and the neighbour, Paul, have been having an affair for many years.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
“Deep Water” w/ Ben Affleck via Amazon Studios, definitely worth your time should you enjoy mind thinking mysteries.
A bit different than the plot of “Gone Girl,” although I liked this one more. It‘s not really a femme fatale flick. More to do with, how much or how far would a guy go for love- and would his gal overlook those passions as she gets wiser to him along the way.

Partial spoiler alert!
My favorite scene in the film….If I did it, aren’t you afraid I would come after you next? No, because if you would kill for me, that means you must really love me that much(not a direct quote, however you get my inference in paraphrasing).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
About My Father = DeNiro, DeNiro & more DeNiro.
Brilliant, funny and Sebastian Maniscalco, Leslie Bibb are pretty darn good too!
Worth your hour and a half of time.