New Gray Uniforms with Children's Healthcare

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
This may help answer some questions. From a friend at GTAA involved in the project:

Thanks for the feedback. When we previewed them for several guys on the team this weekend, they loved it. It's a great cause, and we hope that we'll be able to elevate Cape Day to new heights for CHOA.

As far as how this came about, we sat down with GT historian several years ago when we were researched origins of school colors. She gave us a lot of background on various eras, and the "gray devils" were something that stuck out to us. Last year, when adidas came to us to discuss a uniform tied to a charitable cause, this was something that resonated with everyone as a way to tie it into our history.

CHOA was a natural partner, given our long relationship with them. I grew up going to the Scottish Rite game on Thanksgiving morning. The cape day tie-in came up in discussions with them, so it was a perfect way to bring it all together as a one-time uniform.

Showed the concept uniform to Coach Collins in his first week, and he was 100% on board with it. With the jerseys, t-shirts and cape proceeds, we're taking the adidas charitable concept to the next level. We'll have some more stuff to share as we get to game week, but we couldn't be more excited about being part of this.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
First of all i love this for several reasons- we are going to get a TON of good publicity out of it, Children WILL be helped, and our players and recruits are going to LOVE this new swag!

Secondly, i have read many times on secRant etc that GT has the most miserable fans in all of college football, i am starting to think they are right- at least about a very small but very vocal percentage of us. You people, and you know who you are suck big hairy dwag balls, get a life.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Heisman also had brown uniforms. Do you want those too?

If it can be of benefit to us older fans with, well you know, certain plumbing problems that Varsity chili dogs can't help.

These onyx gray unis are not to benefit our fans or team - it is for unfortunate children. If someone can not see beyond that basic fact then they have bigger problems.

This is Great outreach that will have many side benefits.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think it's hilarious how did this whole rebranding thing to create an identity but just 1 year later we have no identity at all

WOOOSH

You're missing the point and I get that you are talking about the statements made by the AA when the deal with Adidas was made. If you think this one specific example doesn't help define our identity BETTER, you are severely mistaken.

Most of the corporations all of you idiots work for probably have some form of being charitable in their corporate motto these days. Shaping an identity around giving back to our community goes deeper and will leave a larger footprint than running out of tunnel in a (color of your choosing) uniform.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You heathens can argue color and whether or not it's traditional (or not traditional) enough.

I'm just going to say that is a BAD A$$ f'ing promotion with CHOA and a great cause. That promotional spot is friggin' amazing, and exactly how GT can take our profile to the next level.

Awesome job by GT and CHOA. Looking forward to more of these.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
WOOOSH

You're missing the point and I get that you are talking about the statements made by the AA when the deal with Adidas was made. If you think this one specific example doesn't help define our identity BETTER, you are severely mistaken.

Most of the corporations all of you idiots work for probably have some form of being charitable in their corporate motto these days. Shaping an identity around giving back to our community goes deeper and will leave a larger footprint than running out of tunnel in a (color of your choosing) uniform.
I will say it was definitely a smart idea to unveil these grey unis with the children's hospital. Makes you look bad if you dare to criticize them

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all have a serious unhealthy obsession with the color of the uniforms that a bunch of 18-22 year olds wear to play sports. It is all meant to be fun. That is what sports are for. It is clear the players like them, a lot of fans like them, they are for a fantastic cause, they will only be worn one game, and they do also include gold. Anyone seriously criticizing this may need to reevaluate their priorities in life.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Gray? Ok. This is stupid. Navy is about as far as we should take this...at least that has some roots at Tech....but gray?

What’s next? Green to celebrate the fact that our first football game in 1892 was played on a green field? Give me a break...

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Gray? Ok. This is stupid. Navy is about as far as we should take this...at least that has some roots at Tech....but gray?

What’s next? Green to celebrate the fact that our first football game in 1892 was played on a green field? Give me a break...

If it helps sick kids...yes.

If a donor said "GT wear red and black and uga wear white and gold, and I'll donate $100,000,000 to childhood cancer research." count me in.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Yeah. Who cares about saving a few lives, amirite? Can't be asking me to *gasp* watch my team in a diff'rnt jersey. The nerve of these people.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Not to call any names but obviously the ones on here who are criticizing this because of uniforms have been lucky enough to not have any sick kids or grandkids that have had to be saved by Children's Hospital of Atlanta. For those go spend a day up there and see those kids and if the color of our uniforms for one game mean more than those kids I feel sorry for you. I have been up there sitting with my grandson after one of his surgeries and saw the GT baseball team and the GT choir singing and the looks on those kids faces all smiles and wanting to take to them they love it.
I love gold but for this one game I can't see a problem. Some of y'all just need to grow up.

Captn_65

GT Athlete
Obviously you guys don’t know GT history as you proclaim
You tell 'um BeeBall... Back in the prime time 60's, freshman were ineligible to play varsity football. The freshman teams played freshman teams. We played teams from Auburn, Tennessee, Clemson and always terminated the season with the annual Scottish Rite Children's Hospital charity game on the Thursday Thanksgiving Day before 40,000 people on Grant Field. It was a prelude to the Varsity game played on the following Saturday. The game's slogan was "Strong legs run so weak legs can walk".Both teams made trips to the hospital and I left being so thankful that I was blessed with strong, able legs that could run in order to benefit such a worthy cause.
Now this uniform thing. Some see gray. Some see blue. This color actually is one that I created using a perfectly soothing light mauve with a sprinkling of always exciting Granny Smith apple green and finished with half a slice of delectable red velvet cake. It is now known as Pan-tone 404. The secret sauce is the stealth soaked fabric used in the collars, cuffs and numbers . We're now completely undetechable to the enemy. This will be a great aid to the Jackets newly found air game. Please hold your applause .
One last word. Everyone's investment portfolio should include Thursday night shares of Tech + 34. We'll have time to workout the tax problems on the monetary gains later.

No. Attendance started to drop off in the latter years. Probably because there were no true freshmen teams anymore. I remember watching John Dewberry playing against Tech.
Yeah, they tried it with the JV teams for a few years after freshmen became eligible, but it apparently just wasn't the same, and they ended up cancelling the game altogether. That's a shame.