NCAA Tourney

Do we advance past Regionals this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we go with Grissom against them?
I think we have to. Campbell has the bats, as we learned in game 1.

If we make it to tonight's game, someone had suggested Maxwell. I know he's been much better in relief than as a starting role, but at this point you pitch who you have.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we have to. Campbell has the bats, as we learned in game 1.

If we make it to tonight's game, someone had suggested Maxwell. I know he's been much better in relief than as a starting role, but at this point you pitch who you have.
IF ……… we make it to tonight again 10RC I think Maxwell would be an excellent choice to throw. We will be in a “back against the wall, nothing to lose, throw caution to the wind” situation and that seems like the right move when your in that position.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Vegas now has us favorites for this game, change compared to game 1. Definitely has to do with pitching matchup.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Also the over/under is 20(!), next highest is 17. Sure to be some fireworks. Double digit runs will be required to win.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Campbell is good enough we'll have to use Grissom. Even though, no easy win.

IF (and it's a huge if) we get past Campbell, I just don't see how our pitching gets us past UT twice.

I hope I have to eat these words.

The average for a team in our position to win the regional is 8.5% (=1.36/16) over the last 11 regionals. This is the hardest way to win. 2 of 16 did it last year, so it can be done. But against the #1 NCAA seed would drop those odds. And our inconsistent pitching doesn't help.

1654444938430.png

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
We have all been critical this year, of our pitchers, our coaches, and each other. And of course we don’t know what will happen vs. Tennessee. But it might be useful to step back and consider how our team came through in a crunch. Performances by Huff, outstanding, then Siegel, amazing, helps restore my faith in these guys!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We have all been critical this year, of our pitchers, our coaches, and each other. And of course we don’t know what will happen vs. Tennessee. But it might be useful to step back and consider how our team came through in a crunch. Performances by Huff, outstanding, then Siegel, amazing, helps restore my faith in these guys!
That, plus seeing 5 teams score more than 20 runs in the NCAA Tournament yesterday alone, makes me feel like there is more to this than just poor GT pitching.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Other 'stuff' regarding the 16 teams that reached the Supers.
- 11 of 16 regional hosts advanced
- 6 of top 8 advanced
- Hosts failing to advance (#6 Miami; #7 OkSt; #13 Florida; #15 Maryland; #16 GaSouthern)
- Field of 16 by regional seeds: 11x#1s, 3x#2s, 2x#3s

The 4 ACC teams by regular season standings:
1- VT
3- Louisville
4- ND
8- UNC

UNC was/is HOT and ran away with ACC Tournament. VT and Louisville did not win pools in ACCT. There is a "view" that a top 4 ACC team likely has a host spot locked up regardless of their ACCT tournament performance and having the weekend off before the NCAA tournament is a benefit. History shows Top 4 teams often do not advance in the ACCT beyond pool play. Could be a combo of an understanding of this by the top 4 team and/or desperation of teams in the middle of the pack to elevate their post-season positioning (see UNC).

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Other 'stuff' regarding the 16 teams that reached the Supers.
- 11 of 16 regional hosts advanced
- 6 of top 8 advanced
- Hosts failing to advance (#6 Miami; #7 OkSt; #13 Florida; #15 Maryland; #16 GaSouthern)
- Field of 16 by regional seeds: 11x#1s, 3x#2s, 2x#3s

The 4 ACC teams by regular season standings:
1- VT
3- Louisville
4- ND
8- UNC

UNC was/is HOT and ran away with ACC Tournament. VT and Louisville did not win pools in ACCT. There is a "view" that a top 4 ACC team likely has a host spot locked up regardless of their ACCT tournament performance and having the weekend off before the NCAA tournament is a benefit. History shows Top 4 teams often do not advance in the ACCT beyond pool play. Could be a combo of an understanding of this by the top 4 team and/or desperation of teams in the middle of the pack to elevate their post-season positioning (see UNC).
I believe that Aaron Fitt wrote during the ACC tournament that Louisville often goes 0-2 in pool play. He was speculating whether it was by design, and just getting his team ready for the NCAA's, rather than trying to win the thing. Clearly they would love to win it, but some decisions could be made to better position your team for the grind to come, which really matters, rather than an ACC tournament grind. Louisville is once again hosting a Super Regional, by the way...

Edit: Sorry, Texas A&M is hosting that regional, but Louisville has once again moved on. Got confused by the hosting team listed first in the list above.