NCAA Tourney

Do we advance past Regionals this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is this the year we win Regionals? The poll is open till Tuesday since we'll find out our bracket on Monday.

We can beat anyone in the field. We can lose to anyone in the field. All of the RPI ratings haven't updated for our win today, so more on that later. But 13-8 against top 25 is very respectable. 9-13 against 26-100 isn't. But 12-1 against 100+ isn't (we won't see any of those in the NCAAs). We actually seem to play better against good teams. And play down to lesser teams ...... Clemson & Duke later in the season really hurt our RPI and beauty rankings.

Like Wiley said, sometimes you love them and sometimes you hate them. Even in the same game. I share that since I generally love the O, but the D and inability to throw strikes can be infuriating. What could have been thus far in this season with this epic offense. IIWII. If Medich and Grissom keep it up, we only need a few more to step up and go deep. Pitching, both good or bad, seem to be contagious.

I think we get a high 3 seed. And won't be surprised if L'Ville slips to a Regional host going 0-2 in the ACC. I'll vote after I know who we are playing. As long as it isn't Tennessee or VT (hard to go 4-0), I like our chances.

(This has yet to reflect our win today.)

1653609123558.png

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Newest RPI rankings are showing 22.

The longer the regional goes, the lower our odds. Hoping we don't face a 1-seed with a deep bullpen. I'd love to see the host burn thier starter in the first game vs a 4-seed, and we can feast on what's left of their bench.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sure is nice having a Random Number Generator (RNG) determine how well we pitch any given day. So we don't have the ace problem and don't need no stinking strategy. (tic).

Grissom is really coming on with his best two games being Pitt and even better today. As is Medich if he is pulled after about 80 pitches.
1653610677673.png

Again, some of our pitching problems are plays that aren't made behind the pitchers. We are 11th in fielding %, but that is only scored errors. Another telling stat is DPs, where we are clearly the worst and that is what I am talking about. ( We sure have had the opportunities with all the opposing baserunners.) Missed plays that extend the pitch count which we can't afford. No answers here but next year we are going to see an all new in-field other that Jadyn probably. If the D steps up, the pitching will look a lot better. Grissom overcame that in the T4 today but extended his pitch count.

1653611316254.png
:

We are going to need a lot of these guys to step up to win a Regional:
1653610957340.png

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Is this the year we win Regionals? The poll is open till Tuesday since we'll find out our bracket on Monday.

We can beat anyone in the field. We can lose to anyone in the field. All of the RPI ratings haven't updated for our win today, so more on that later. But 13-8 against top 25 is very respectable. 9-13 against 26-100 isn't. But 12-1 against 100+ isn't (we won't see any of those in the NCAAs). We actually seem to play better against good teams. And play down to lesser teams ...... Clemson & Duke later in the season really hurt our RPI and beauty rankings.

Like Wiley said, sometimes you love them and sometimes you hate them. Even in the same game. I share that since I generally love the O, but the D and inability to throw strikes can be infuriating. What could have been thus far in this season with this epic offense. IIWII. If Medich and Grissom keep it up, we only need a few more to step up and go deep. Pitching, both good or bad, seem to be contagious.

I think we get a high 3 seed. And won't be surprised if L'Ville slips to a Regional host going 0-2 in the ACC. I'll vote after I know who we are playing. As long as it isn't Tennessee or VT (hard to go 4-0), I like our chances.

(This has yet to reflect our win today.)

View attachment 12472
Low expectations this year due to our pitching & D but hey, that might mean better results than some years when I've had much higher expectations! If one more starter could catch fire like Grissom and Medich recently have, we'd have a shot. And we need a couple of our bullpen guys (beyond Maxwell) to suddenly step up and exceed expectations. Those are two BIG if's but crazier things have happened...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Low expectations this year due to our pitching & D but hey, that might mean better results than some years when I've had much higher expectations! If one more starter could catch fire like Grissom and Medich recently have, we'd have a shot. And we need a couple of our bullpen guys (beyond Maxwell) to suddenly step up and exceed expectations. Those are two BIG if's but crazier things have happened...

Yup, I'm working on overcoming the Charlie Brown syndrome by not expecting to kick the ball. Get kicked in the nuts instead. A shared GT experience (metaphorically at least).

I really liked Ronald Reagan's "Trust but Verify". In my line of work it's more "Verify but Verify". So rather than blandly going off consensus (D1 and others) opinion about seeding, I should have checked facts.

First off, we have an RPI of 22 to 23 this morning depending on the site. I have no idea of what "truth" is and it doesn't matter since it'll change a bit over the next three days as our opponents and opponents opponents play. The 24 of Boyd's World doesn't include tie games or neutral game adjustment (22: https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty/ ; 23: https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/rpi-live; 24: http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html )

Second, looking at last year's #2 seeds by RPI we see the #2 seeds ranged from 14 to 46. 8 of the 10 in 20-29 were 2 seeds.

So @FredJacket was right, we could be be a 2 seed. Admonished, I think we are probably a two seed now. Makes the first game easier if that's the case.

1653650560134.png

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Latest from BA. Looks good to me. Win the regional in Auburn then home to host UConn or Army in a super. 🙂

View attachment 12477

That would be a dream setup for us. Avoid the SEC powerhouse we have seemingly been matched up with every single tourney in which we weren’t the host. And paired with a National seed who we’ve already taken a series from.

However, I’ll believe that they don’t stick us in Knoxville when I see it on the screen.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know what percentage of the gate the NCAA gets from the Regionals?

Just wondering. Given the current high gas prices, the NCAA Baseball Selection Committee just might give a high priority (or at least a secondary priority behind RPI?) to the current high gas prices, and look for “local regional matchups” to encourage (i.e., boost) fan attendance at each of the Regionals.

If so, this likely means GT and UGA will both go to the Statesboro Regional.

Or perhaps GT to the Knoxville Regional.

Or perhaps GT to the Auburn Regional.

I’m guessing it would be one of those three.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know what percentage of the gate the NCAA gets from the Regionals?

Just wondering. Given the current high gas prices, the NCAA Baseball Selection Committee just might give a high priority (or at least a secondary priority behind RPI?) to the current high gas prices, and look for “local regional matchups” to encourage (i.e., boost) fan attendance at each of the Regionals.

If so, this likely means GT and UGA will both go to the Statesboro Regional.

Or perhaps GT to the Knoxville Regional.

Or perhaps GT to the Auburn Regional.

I’m guessing it would be one of those three.
Or Hattiesburg

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, Hattiesburg is 377 miles from Atlanta, about a 5-hour 26-minute drive.

Other distances and times, from Atlanta to:

Statesboro: 208 miles; 3 hours 8 minutes

Knoxville: 213 miles; 3 hours 10 minutes

Auburn: 108 miles; 1 hour 36 minutes

Who knows?? It could wind up being anywhere else.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC will probably get 5 hosts (including UNC). That leaves 11 places for GT, NC St, UVA, Wake, FSU. Would suspect UVA to Maryland and NC St to East Carolina. The closet regional options for other 3 appear to be Knoxville, Statesboro, Hattiesburg. Could easily argue from distance, FSU to Statesboro, Wake to Knoxville, GT to Hattiesburg. If you have to open up beyond there, LSU and multiple Texas schools would be the next options.

I do think with a lot of the Libertys, Dallas Baptists, Grand Canyons losing, a 2 seed is looking good.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s crazy how just a few games make a huge difference. We were 12-6 against the top 20 RPI which has to be one of the best in the country. But it’s the 1-8 against UVA, NC St, Clemson that is writing us down. If we just had 3 more wins from that group, we’re likely top 8 seed at this point.