NCAA Tourney

Do we advance past Regionals this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
My NCSU neighbors all think this was 'punishment' for State's complaints after last year's debacle.
I originally figured they didn't make it because they had a losing record in the ACC regular season. No team from the ACC with a losing record made it. But then I noticed that two teams from the SEC (Vandy and Ole Miss) made it despite having losing records in conference. This despite the fact the ACC was rated by most to be the top conference in the country. So I guess maybe it does have something to do with the fact the ACC has no representation on the selection committee.

Juanita

Georgia Tech Fan
Dammit. Still can't quote w/o multi mess. Nerds, tell me what I am doing wrong!

@bensaysitathome
Ugh. Am I going to have to get ESPN+?

I do not have cable. I just stream off Mom's ESPN (so, sue me.) The other night, ESPN kicked me off the Vols BB game, and switched me over to a retro Bama/ UGA FB game. OMG! I'd rather chew glass!!! I messed around with the programming and ESPN U/+ is included. Had to log out and then back in. I don't know if that will help you. Hope it does.

Juanita

Georgia Tech Fan

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
@BuckeyeJacket

BC it's essentially home games, nobody I know on VN is giving up tickets. They want to see what happens. As do I.

Did you try here?

Have no idea of the cost was afraid to click on that link, haha!
On Stubhub, the Sat night game is currently listed at $220 for the cheapest.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We were most likely going to need to beat Tenn to win it all anyways. Might as well do it in the first weekend to really make the loss hurt for them.

Don’t really like how we match up with them, but it’s baseball and all we need is hot bats at the right time. We seem to play up to our good opponents and down to the bad ones. Hope we can stay focused for the whole regional.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
On Stubhub, the Sat night game is currently listed at $220 for the cheapest.
From the University of Tennessee website:

ALL-SESSION PACKAGES ARE SOLD OUT.

A limited number of single session tickets will go on sale at the Lindsey Nelson Stadium ticket windows 90 minutes prior to first pitch of each session.

So, you can theoretically head down to the stadium and wait in line to get tickets for individual games, if you believe the UT ticketing website...

Juanita

Georgia Tech Fan
All I can say is this: If you want to shell out the bucks for tix and overnight stay, you will have a blast! LNS is a great venue. Baseball fans are some of the most hospitable folks I have ever met. You will be treated warmly, with respect, and invited to eat anything they are burning on grills in the parking lot! I have a funny feeling about this eventual matchup between Jackets and Vols. First things first!

Juanita

Georgia Tech Fan
Folks on VN are asking about tickets. Said Stubhub now wants $268 per, $2,000 for the series. Nope. Not in my budget; I had to pay rent today. I'll watch on my pirated ESPN, haha!

Juanita

Georgia Tech Fan
1654173252506.png

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Vol fans really support their teams. Lots of sidewalk sports fans in Tennessee plus this is one of the best BB teams in the country.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
The D1 preview podcast is pretty good. Here's what they think of the Knoxville Regional, for what it's worth. Nothing groundbreaking.

- Tenn was "pushed to the brink" a number of times in the SEC tournament, and this will not be a cakewalk.
- Tech matches up well offensively with this ballpark. We should hit some HRs.
- If our pitching/defense shows up at all, we can definitely hang with the Vols.
- Campbell will likely pitch their ace against us, but they do have some depth in the bullpen.
- They're all picking Tenn, but it's not "out of the question" for Tech or Campbell to win this thing.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I originally figured they didn't make it because they had a losing record in the ACC regular season. No team from the ACC with a losing record made it. But then I noticed that two teams from the SEC (Vandy and Ole Miss) made it despite having losing records in conference. This despite the fact the ACC was rated by most to be the top conference in the country. So I guess maybe it does have something to do with the fact the ACC has no representation on the selection committee.
I think having no representation on the committee is a big part of it. The B1G also had no representation on the committee, and Rutgers didn't make the tournament with a 44-15 record and a 42 D1Baseball RPI. Not a great RPI, but for a north east program? Also, Maryland seemed underseeded at #15 with a 45-12 record and #9 RPI. Usually I would think that's a no brainer top 8 seed for a B1G team.

I think they also look at aggregate conference record, so including the tournament. In that regard, NC State was at 17-16-1, ahead of Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Wake Forest. I think the goal posts can move year to year, which makes it difficult for programs to set schedules that will benefit them come selection time.

An NC State friend that I work with threw out the possibility that if NC State was in the tournament, they'd constantly be talking about how the CWS ended for NC State last year, and the NCAA probably has no desire to continually re-hash that decision. Far fetched, perhaps. But the NCAA has made self-serving decisions many times before, so I wouldn't entirely discount that theory.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, we are playing tomorrow at 1400 with Grissom starting. Who would start for the next game if we get there?

Huff was fabulous today and did what was needed plus. Finley got some work in and will be back next year (eligible this year but has two years of eligibility left.). They are really the only two we won't have available tomorrow.

Hope Parada is ok with ice on the ankle. Don't know how preventative the ice was.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
OK, we are playing tomorrow at 1400 with Grissom starting. Who would start for the next game if we get there?

Huff was fabulous today and did what was needed plus. Finley got some work in and will be back next year (eligible this year but has two years of eligibility left.). They are really the only two we won't have available tomorrow.

Hope Parada is ok with ice on the ankle. Don't know how preventative the ice was.
Finley is actually still a freshman, so he has 3 more years of eligibility left.

As to who starts the second game if we can get by the first game, I have no idea. It's going to depend on who we have to use to get through that first game, but my bet would be McGuire or Hill.