NCAA Ruling - Postseason Ban, Among Other Bogus Things...

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you're thinking this through. We all wanna "send that email", but the reality is there's not much that can or should be done other than appeal.

My only beef with him is that he's not telling the NeverCooperateWiththeseAholes...A to shove it or treat everyone equally.
just so aggravating! This program never ceases to amaze me

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wouldn't fire Pastner right now for probably 2 years and here is my rationale why.

First, since the NCAA did not find him liable for the Level I violations (technically they didn't find him liable for the level II violations either but he allowed Bell into the program so those are on him imo), his 'with cause' part of the contract is not activated.

Second, no coach in their right mind would take the job right now knowing the recruiting restrictions they are walking into - especially at a discount. You would actually have to pay a huge premium for any coach to deal with that.

Third, ultimately this is Pastner's program. It is a mess created under his watch so let him deal with the carnage. Why subject a new coach to that. Seems more fair to let Pastner deal with it.

As far as the timeframe. Since the worst of the restrictions are in the first 2 years, let Pastner deal with those. They coincide with what potentially should be his 2 best squads. We'll see if they are or not.
You will likely have to extend him after this season, which is fine, extend him but don't change the buyout. Then in 2 years his buyout would be much smaller and maybe the rainy day fund is re-filled.

slugboy

Staff member
You will likely have to extend him after this season, which is fine, extend him but don't change the buyout. Then in 2 years his buyout would be much smaller and maybe the rainy day fund is re-filled.

Messaging for “he deferred the raise and increases to the buyout in favor of raises for assistant coaches and support staff” would be a good snippet to keep handy between Pastner and TStan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wouldn't fire Pastner right now for probably 2 years and here is my rationale why.

First, since the NCAA did not find him liable for the Level I violations (technically they didn't find him liable for the level II violations either but he allowed Bell into the program so those are on him imo), his 'with cause' part of the contract is not activated.

Second, no coach in their right mind would take the job right now knowing the recruiting restrictions they are walking into - especially at a discount. You would actually have to pay a huge premium for any coach to deal with that.

Third, ultimately this is Pastner's program. It is a mess created under his watch so let him deal with the carnage. Why subject a new coach to that. Seems more fair to let Pastner deal with it.

As far as the timeframe. Since the worst of the restrictions are in the first 2 years, let Pastner deal with those. They coincide with what potentially should be his 2 best squads. We'll see if they are or not.

Agree with all you said but I'll throw a curveball in that I never thought I'd ever throw (considering I hate the man).

I think the only one crazy enough to take the job right now; discount , sanctions, and all, would be Pitino just to prove a point to the NeverCooperateWithTheseAholes...A.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

The reality is, GT would do well to extend him at salary he's at now, however, decrease the buyout to the point GT pretty much walks away with nothing to pay Pastner. Pastner has ZERO leverage right now. No P5 program will touch him right now, and if he walks, then he walks. He'd be hard press to get a good job at a Non-P5 school as well.

Regardless of how well the team does this year and next year, the writing on the wall is there for Pastner if he doesn't sign outstanding classes the next two cycles. I think we do really well on the court this year, but I just don't see a high level recruit that will save Pastner walking through the door for him the next couple of years.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I wonder if some heads up about this decision may have impacted recruiting this past year already.
Secondly, I don't think there's any way we fire Pastner. While he can be blamed for RB, it's hard to see how he takes the heat for DLab, especially considering how everyone else in the organization acted. Still, I agree we use the leverage to extend CJP's contract with no raise and reduced buy-out.
Thirdly, I should hope we could get the post-season ban, at least, lifted. I think that punishment should be given for violations by a program (e.g. head coach, multiple staff, staff with knowledge by the hc, etc).

Finally, @kg01, tacking on a "... A" in order to complete your NCAA acronym? Repeating it 2 more times?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitino ain't taking this job. We couldn't pay him anywhere near enough.
Agree with all you said but I'll throw a curveball in that I never thought I'd ever throw (considering I hate the man).

I think the only one crazy enough to take the job right now; discount , sanctions, and all, would be Pitino just to prove a point to the NeverCooperateWithTheseAholes...A.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
First of all, I wonder if some heads up about this decision may have impacted recruiting this past year already.
Secondly, I don't think there's any way we fire Pastner. While he can be blamed for RB, it's hard to see how he takes the heat for DLab, especially considering how everyone else in the organization acted. Still, I agree we use the leverage to extend CJP's contract with no raise and reduced buy-out.
Thirdly, I should hope we could get the post-season ban, at least, lifted. I think that punishment should be given for violations by a program (e.g. head coach, multiple staff, staff with knowledge by the hc, etc).

Finally, @kg01, tacking on a "... A" in order to complete your NCAA acronym? Repeating it 2 more times?

It's what I'm going with, mayne. Sorry, not sorry.

@RamblinRed , of course you're right about Pitino. I only mentioned it because I know he has an ax to grind with the NeverCooperateWithTheseAholes...A

It wouldn't be the first time 'crazy' made somebody do something dumb. ;)

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe if the Hill or administrations would say “hey why don’t we back off a little on the dumb restrictions & maybe take more pride in athletic s & not worry about being Harvard or MIT”, maybe that would help & not make it where it’s so enticing for coaches to try to cut corners to get an extra edge

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

He’s the head coach, he should have more control over stuff that’s happened

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I hadn’t
upload_2019-9-27_13-32-25.gif

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe if the Hill or administrations would say “hey why don’t we back off a little on the dumb restrictions & maybe take more pride in athletic s & not worry about being Harvard or MIT”, maybe that would help & not make it where it’s so enticing for coaches to try to cut corners to get an extra edge

He’s the head coach, he should have more control over stuff that’s happened

For the first quote, it may be cutting a corner, but it's not an extra edge. It's not even in the same ballpark as teams we compete against. What exactly to you think a marginally larger academic tolerance is going to do to our recruiting, compared to even decently credible information about what's going on in the NCAA basketball recruiting community?

For the second, there's no way to even ineffectively recruit and coach without giving a large degree of independence to your assistant coaches and support staff, much less effectively recruit and coach. Increasing independence means decreasing control; that's how it works. You have to be able to trust your people.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
So how many games did Justin Moore play after the strip club visit. I know he did not play for a while and no one knew why - I guess now we do.

Bob

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad to see the team seems to be rallying around this adversity.

I really hope we can back on track and get this program to what I feel it should constantly be. A Top 25, NCAA tournament team, every year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm team Pastner. Use this BS as fuel and go win some games.

I am going to be really curious to see who is on team Pastner going forward. I understand the issues around firing him now (though I personally think he has hit that threshold), but I also expect that the number of people willing to support him and unfortunately the team is going to go way down. A lot more than this particular team deserves. Somewhere in there is a tradeoff of number of folks still on Team Pastner, cost of moving off of Team Pastner and potential to delete Team Pastner for cause. I hope I am wrong but I expect to see a lot fewer fannies in the seat than what the best team we have had in 5 years would otherwise get.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm team Pastner. Use this BS as fuel and go win some games.

I'm team GT, which means I'm team Pastner. You can't root against Pastner without rooting against GT and our players.

I think Pastner is genuinely a good guy, he's just naive and makes really dumb personal decisions that have cost him personally, and GT as a program. However, if there was a chance GT could improve upon Pastner without having to break the bank I would take it yesterday.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Worst case scenario is where we sit today with current sanctions.
Best case is we appeal and get some of the recruiting restrictions lifted and post season ban lifted. If we can at least get this then the players will have something to play for and fans can get excited.