NCAA Ruling - Postseason Ban, Among Other Bogus Things...

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Sports Illustrated is reporting that Memphis could be subject to a major infractions case for knowlingly playing Wiseman when he was likely ineligible. Their playing him after being warned would be seen as an aggravating circumstance.

So Wiseman sitting out 12 games is just his penalty for playing while ineligible for receiving impermissable benefits.

Have to see if NCAA moves forward and announces an infractions case against Memphis. That is where a possible post-season ban or other penalties would come into play.
https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/20/james-wiseman-ineligible-ruling-ncaa-memphis-penny-hardaway
Why do I have this feeling that ncaa will do nothing to Memphis.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sports Illustrated is reporting that Memphis could be subject to a major infractions case for knowlingly playing Wiseman when he was likely ineligible. Their playing him after being warned would be seen as an aggravating circumstance.

So Wiseman sitting out 12 games is just his penalty for playing while ineligible for receiving impermissable benefits.

Have to see if NCAA moves forward and announces an infractions case against Memphis. That is where a possible post-season ban or other penalties would come into play.
https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/20/james-wiseman-ineligible-ruling-ncaa-memphis-penny-hardaway
This was just a ruling on Wiseman's eligibility. This is similar to their ruling on two GT players.

I think the NCAA has a real dilemma with this case. They fined us, took away a scholarship for four years, banned us from the postseason this year, and gave the assistant a show cause. That was for a few hundred dollars and self-reporting. I can only imagine what ignoring the NCAA eligibility ruling, 11,500 loan, and hiring the booster who paid gthe money to be your HC will be worth. This will have to a major penalty or going back to ours and agreeing to some of our appeal issues.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Why do I have this feeling that ncaa will do nothing to Memphis.

IIUC, kid is out for 12 games, no further penalties.

Can't make this stuff up. I'll continue to contend, our problem was always that we didn't go big enough into paying dudes.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IIUC, kid is out for 12 games, no further penalties.

Can't make this stuff up. I'll continue to contend, our problem was always that we didn't go big enough into paying dudes.

That may not be the only penalties. That is just the penalty directly on Wiseman. There have been multiple sources saying that NCAA could hand Memphis a notice of infractions. This would be similar to what happened to GT. Have to wait and see if that notice of infractions comes down.