NCAA Baseball Tournament

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
The problem I have with it is if the bottom of the ACC was as bad as the bottom of the SEC then we’d probably have 3-4 hosts right now. The talent top-to-bottom of the ACC was penalized this year. 6 national seeds for the SEC is ****ing ridiculous.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The problem I have with it is if the bottom of the ACC was as bad as the bottom of the SEC then we’d probably have 3-4 hosts right now. The talent top-to-bottom of the ACC was penalized this year. 6 national seeds for the SEC is ****ing ridiculous.
It will only be ridiculous if they lose. Let’s hope we get a repeat of the Big/Little 14 in the NCAA basketball tournament.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I just hope Hurter pitches better than he did in the ACC tournament. No guarantee he will.
I think Louisville just sees him well for some reason. Hurter has really only had 3 rough starts this year and 2 of those have come against Louisville. Before the ACC tourney game, he had pitched lights out for his 3 prior starts.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know that many/most of you who post here are diehard GT baseball fans who have followed the team closely for any number of years.. As we head into the playoffs, would you say that
A) Danny Hall is perceived to be a great regular season coach but not so much in the playoffs?
B) Is this perception unfair? Not true? An urban legend?
C) Is there anything he has done in past postseason play that you hopes he does not repeat or perhaps he can use and apply going into this postseason?**
D) it seems deep pitching has been our Achilles heel in this playoff format. Would you agree/disagree? is this year's pitching staff deeper than what we have seen from past teams or about the same?

thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

** I know the term Quick Hook Hall appears regularly on this board. Is this true or something said ironically?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know that many/most of you who post here are diehard GT baseball fans who have followed the team closely for any number of years.. As we head into the playoffs, would you say that
A) Danny Hall is perceived to be a great regular season coach but not so much in the playoffs?
C) Is there anything he has done in past postseason play that you hopes he does not repeat or perhaps he can use and apply going into this postseason?**
D) it seems deep pitching has been our Achilles heel in this playoff format. Would you agree/disagree? is this year's pitching staff deeper than what we have seen from past teams or about the same?

** I know the term Quick Hook Hall appears regularly on this board. Is this true or something said ironically?
Year in & Year out, Coach Hall puts very good, very competitive... relevant teams on the field. Winning in regular season & post-season doesn't require "different" coaching. The 2021 team is not as talented (relative to field) as many he's lead there/here. It's a very good team. Capable of winning any game. Also not great enough to overcome those "off days".

Historically (& generally speaking), Ga Tech is well above average offensively with average pitching. It's the same this year. We're also a pretty young team.

For me... I'm always hopeful. But any progress beyond the regional in 2021 is a boat of gravy to me. Winning 3-4 games before losing twice is hard for me to envision.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would start Archer in the first game just because of the experience. I agree though that the only chance we have of winning the regional is having Hurter go in the second game. Even if we end up losing the first, we're going to need Hurter to help us stay alive and hopefully rest the pen for a miracle comeback.

I see that argument. Put in who you think is the second best pitcher. You think Archer given the situation, I think Grissom since he has been pitching better lately. Either way a quick hook is needed as neither did well in the L'Ville game. We give Indiana State 6 runs early and we are 🪛 🦨 They will attempt to run up the count and get our pitchers knocked out. Neither is very good at getting outs with a minimal number of pitches.

I think that in recent games, Grissom has been a lot better than Archer.
  • Ever since the April 10th ND start, Archer has been off from where he was early in the year.
  • Ever since May 16th Miami start, Grissom did better and longer with Miami and UNC. So he is hotter and trending upwards more.

1622491273923.png

1622491308138.png

Attachments

• 1622491045388.png
    1622491045388.png
    64 KB · Views: 5

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No, we love QHH. It’s the good form of him. We wish SHH would disappear, never to be seen again.
CDH gets essentially zero credit when his decisions turn into wins. He gets a preponderance of the blame when team loses. I'm sure he is just fine with that. He's a big boy veteran coach.

I (on the other hand) grow tired of it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

A) and B). Hall's teams regular season record is better than his teams post season, at least since 2008. The great post season results were early on, we have lost the last nine NCAA appearances we haven't won a regional even though we hosted four times.
1622492463591.png

C) What to do better? Damned if I know other than a quicker hook when a pitcher is struggling. But given out pitching depth over the last decade that is Russian Roulette. Slow Hook Hall is what has killed us in the past IMHO. I'm not going back to research the Auburn game .......... We need to pull pitchers much quicker and see who else can do well. Plus we have a bunch of guys who are strong for an inning or two and then unravel. Keeping them in to develop their draft prospects at the expense of the team is not what I like. But Hall does a fabulous job of getting our players drafted which is part of what he should do IMHO.

D) This year's pitching staff is shallower than past years IMHO. I could go back and confirm with past pitcher ERAs and team ERAs probably so it's just my brain muscle / PTSD memory. Our success this year has been an awesome offensive attack which when it's on we can overcome poor pitching. Like we did against L'Ville in the ACC tourney.

Last edited:

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s much harder to win now than in the early Hall years in my opinion. College baseball has grown tremendously, especially in the last decade. Who would have ever thought that there would be a selection show for baseball? Once you get to postseason everyone is capable and you need to get some breaks to advance. We haven’t gotten them for whatever reason, but don’t think that all the blame lies on Coach Hall. Pull a pitcher and pen gets em out, you’re a genius, pen fails ,and you’re a dumb ***. I’m sure CDH has 2nd guessed himself many times, and hell , I’ve 2nd guessed him too, but we are damn lucky to have him as our coach. Just my opinion, and we all know what goes with that. GO JACKETS!!

Deleted member 2897

CDH gets essentially zero credit when his decisions turn into wins. He gets a preponderance of the blame when team loses. I'm sure he is just fine with that. He's a big boy veteran coach.

I (on the other hand) grow tired of it.

Well, I mostly kid. The guy is a Hall of Fame coach and a 100% Legend.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It’s much harder to win now than in the early Hall years in my opinion. College baseball has grown tremendously, especially in the last decade. Who would have ever thought that there would be a selection show for baseball? Once you get to postseason everyone is capable and you need to get some breaks to advance. We haven’t gotten them for whatever reason, but don’t think that all the blame lies on Coach Hall. Pull a pitcher and pen gets em out, you’re a genius, pen fails ,and you’re a dumb ***. I’m sure CDH has 2nd guessed himself many times, and hell , I’ve 2nd guessed him too, but we are damn lucky to have him as our coach. Just my opinion, and we all know what goes with that. GO JACKETS!!

Sure it's harder to win but someone has to win. 0-9 recent post season?