@NC State

If we play 3 games, how many do you expect we'll win?

Votes: 7 24.1%

Votes: 18 62.1%

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We were swept by Clemson (bad!). NC State went to Clemson and swept them (nice!). Now we go to NC State.

Transitive property says we get swept.

What think you? I think we get one win if we play 3 games. Friday night Curry is going to mow them down. {: pray}

Also look at the weather. Friday ok weather, Saturday afternoon cold & raining and Sunday cold. https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/nc/durham

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
With respect, I am not at all convinced that Curry is a #! starter in this league. He has guts and throws strikes, but really doesn't have much past a nice fast ball, and in this league, guys will hit a nice fast ball. He is a solid #2 starter, and can give you quality starts, but you have to throw a shutout here and there to be a Friday starter imho. After that...well, we don't hit in cold weather. And out pitching isn't good enough to throw shutouts. It won't surprise me if we win a game. Nor would it surprise me if we get swept (it's baseball). It would shock me to win the series.

So, 3-6 at best going into the Miami & FSU series.....

Deleted member 2897

We were swept by Clemson (bad!). NC State went to Clemson and swept them (nice!). Now we go to NC State.

Clemson was totally due for such a result. They were like 10-1 in games decided by 3 runs or less. Its a shame we couldn't get any of that luck when we played them. All 3 games with NC State were winnable if their bats had showed up (or, NC State has great pitching): 4-0, 6-1, 5-4.

I'm a Tech fan, so I'm always trying to stop being pessimistic :D but it sure feels like a sweep on the road by similar scores to those games. I mean, NC State pitching held Clemson to 5 runs. TOTAL IN THE SERIES. And we just scored 2 runs against MERCER.

Deleted member 2897

Perrrrrrrrfect. What could go wrong?
giphy.gif

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
How about this for a"fan grasper" theory? NC State has had a great start to the season. Rolling to 18-3 overall with that road sweep at Clemson last weekend. Could they be up for a letdown?... both mentally (i.e. focus) and rhythm wise. They have played no mid-week games this week...that's the longest break they've had between games all year & they just swept a big Atlantic series v Clemson. I think if we are going to play them in Raleigh... now is the best time to do it.

Enough of the grasping... the truth is it is very difficult to sweep any series in this league. NC State lost one to BC in the 1st week of conference play. We can definitely win 1 game. I'd say that is the most "likely" of the 4 possible series outcomes (assuming 3 games played). It is also baseball...anything can happen. NC State is very good. Their strength (offense) play to our weakness (pitching depth & confidence). I always expect our offense to score....when they don't (last night), I am pretty surprised. In a 3 game series... I do expect Tech to win one game (at least) by outscoring opponents....pitching being less relevant.

Deleted member 2897

Fred .... if you ever decide to change careers, maybe you should look into being a motivational speaker. I think you could put a positive spin on a plane going down in a death spiral. :)

HAHAHAHAHA!

"While tragic, this incident represented a major opportunity for infrastructure improvements to Highway 72 along with the associated well paying jobs for the community. Zhang Wei also got a nice sunroof for his taxi cab at no cost to him."

giphy.gif

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fred .... if you ever decide to change careers, maybe you should look into being a motivational speaker. I think you could put a positive spin on a plane going down in a death spiral. :)
I'm only trying to convince myself... if you guys (or others) are buying my "grasping", I apologize for the damage I'm doing. This is a warning!!

HAHAHAHAHA!

"While tragic, this incident represented a major opportunity for infrastructure improvements to Highway 72 along with the associated well paying jobs for the community. Zhang Wei also got a nice sunroof for his taxi cab at no cost to him."

giphy.gif
Very well played!!! Big LOLs!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We can’t get swept and make the tourney!! In 2015, we didn’t make the tourney with 23 losses, we already have 9 and it’s only March

FIFY. Yup. We have to be at 500 in ACC play too.

With respect, I am not at all convinced that Curry is a #1 starter in this league. He has guts and throws strikes, but really doesn't have much past a nice fast ball, and in this league, guys will hit a nice fast ball. He is a solid #2 starter, and can give you quality starts, but you have to throw a shutout here and there to be a Friday starter imho. .....

He had more control of his other pitches at the beginning of the season. Jim Poole commented on how Curry's control has been slipping. My uneducated guess is that with better hitters facing him, he is thinking too much and trying to be too perfect.

I agree with your general point; our pitching is weak overall. But maybe it'll change but I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just enjoy the wins we get and flush the losses. At least in baseball we get many more games than football. Just a few close losses and the season is a disaster in football.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
FIFY. Yup. We have to be at 500 in ACC play too.

He had more control of his other pitches at the beginning of the season. Jim Poole commented on how Curry's control has been slipping. My uneducated guess is that with better hitters facing him, he is thinking too much and trying to be too perfect.

I agree with your general point; our pitching is weak overall. But maybe it'll change but I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just enjoy the wins we get and flush the losses. At least in baseball we get many more games than football. Just a few close losses and the season is a disaster in football.
Baseball...simply provides more parity (win/loss-wise). Almost every ACC season goes the same way. 2-3 teams are elite & have great records. 2-3 teams are bad & have crappy records. Then 8-10 teams are fighting to break out above .500. Last year, there were 2 (UNC & LOU) in elite category. 3 (Pitt, VT, ND) in bad. The other 9 were all within 4 wins/losses of .500 in a 30 game schedule. Some may say 4 is still a lot. Perhaps. But baseball is a funny little game. Seeing eye hits, hot pitchers, untimely errors, & even cancelled games... as well as opponents scheduled can swing things.

I'm still not over the Clemson sweep. We could so easily be .500 right now. But we're not. It won't be easy to get to .500... looking ahead on the schedule. I do believe the players have much more confidence in themselves each new game than most of us do... for what that's worth.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Does CDH go Curry, then Thomas today? Or Thomas, then Curry? Does English start today...? Saving Thomas for a "TBD" Game 3?
I would go Curry then Thomas and save English for the TBD game. You could honestly probably use English for 1 inning out of the pen today, if there is no game on Saturday, and then have him come back and pitch 3 innings on Sunday.