NC State Postgame

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Sims didn’t have a great game. The receivers didn’t help nor did the OL.
He is a willing runner but I’m struck repeatedly by the impression that DP wants to throw the ball 30 times every game. Even the duke game we would drop back while gashing them. I don’t mind dropping back on first but maybe a screen or a dump off would be better than a max protect chuck deep.

We really missed Gibbs today. Mason looks a step slower than the FSU game. You can tell he’s playing hurt. Smith is great toting the rock and blocking but isn’t anywhere near the threat in the passing game, and he likes to clamp down on zone reads that aren’t his, causing fumbles.

WR is still looking for “the guy”. Early on, I thought Carter would be it, but he’s faded late in the year. I feel like we have a group of possession guys, and a couple of small speed guys. Nobody is the total package, draw coverage type of player yet. Hopefully a full spring and offseason someone will emerge.

Defense played a decent game, a good one considering the guys we played without. I think the freshmen will be players with some seasoning. DE looks like it will be much better without attrition next year : Everyone back plus the Bama transfer and Yondo coming off injury this year.

We made two FG. Progress.

refs have been discussed but I’ll just say this: you can call it any way you want, just be consistent. If Walton grabbing an arm is PI, then grabbing Carter’s arm is PI, and mugging Carpenter on an INT attempt is a OPI.

Onto Pitt, who if we try to block like tonight, will obliterate us.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
really I'll have to watch the replay I didn't see Patenaude jump off sides , I did see a player jump
LOL I see what you did there trying to be cute. Yes the player is to blame for the false start, but Patenaude is to blame for rushing to try to get a score in when Sims was tackled stretching the ball out. The play should/would have been reviewed by the refs, but we ran up to the line to run a play to try and score which ended up with us getting a false start. Had Patenaude not tried to rush the play could have been reviewed to see if Sims was in (I think he was).

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims is very young, we don’t really know who or where balls were designed to go when the play starts. we can’t see the field on TV to judge where his options are but I think he presses to much right now b/c the game is still fast for him. Only the players know if he is making the right reads. I tend to think if he were making the right reads the TEs would get the ball more but I’d have to be on the headset to know and the coaches aren’t gonna say. I do know that in the post game show on The ACC network Mark Richt said he is beginning to doubt Sims can make the passes. Just saying.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been disappointed in our receivers all year. They have failed to get separation and don't finish their routes and attempt to find the open space.
I didn’t expect the receivers to be a strength of our football team. We really don’t have a dominant receiver that teams have to focus on. I think AB is a threat in the slot and camp could be a good possession receiver due to his strength and his good hands. The receivers have played about how I expected. Team that with a true freshman QB and ups and downs in the passing game are going to happen.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
When we have a tide end as a converted long snapper... that’s all you need to know about the tide end position

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
You have the ROY candidate literally as your starting qb and this what GT fan come with. GT fans are the worse.
Eh, this would mean more if there weren’t only 4 freshman getting meaningful playing time on offense in the conference. Sims, Gibbs, a RB from Syracuse, and a Pitt WR.

Coming into this weekend, Sims was 12th in the conference in passing yards, had the most interceptions per attempt, and was 7th in QB rushing. He may end up great, but the numbers this year haven’t been outstanding.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Penalties continue to kill us. With tonight's performance we are 111th team out of 130th in penalty yards per game. It is too convenient to blame it on inexperience. But that is really about discipline and I think the coaches really need to work on that aspect of the game. Clearly tonight having 2 illegal procedures at the 1 is painful.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
the reasons we lost

Still making dumb penalties at the wrong time over and over ( coaching problem )

some bad calls by the Refs ( not much you can do if CGC does not say anything to the ACC)

Really bad play by the wide receivers and TE's ( coaching problem with CCW and CKD something CGC needs to see about)

Poor to bad pass blocking and very bad on a blitz ( something the coaches need to find out way )

And last they scored more points than us ( fix the other 4 and this one would not be a problem )

slugboy

Staff member
A game we could've won if we had more experience. Thought the d line played well.
They played with a ton of heart, and I thought put on a pretty good pass rush a lot (but not all) of the time.
I came on looking for the post-game thread and there was nothing there.
It was, then it was here.
  • You have to play with the players you have. Syracuse and other teams are playing down a lot of players. Still, Swilling and Oliver and Ryans and Domineck and Gibbs and Cooper could have had made such a splash in this game.
  • Mason is a beast.
  • The Tight Ends are a place for our offense to make plays. We don't throw to them often, and when we do we don't make big plays there, so we throw to them even less. It's a vicious cycle.
  • The refs weren't as bad as we were saying in chat, but they seemed to be OK with NCST pulling players down on top of them and wide receivers pushing off and clearing a space downfield as long as those players weren't wearing white.
  • There were a bunch of plays that could have made a difference, and just hitting on two would have changed the game.
  • Camp and Sanders made big plays at the receiver position. One announcer said that a lot of the WRs were just jogging out there. That's another vicious cycle--if you run out hard and catch the ball, you get more passes thrown your way, so you run all out. If you don't run all out and don't get separation, you don't get the ball, and you feel even less need to run all out.
  • We got field goals!
  • ^^ This was a big deal! ^^
  • Kickoff coverage was suspect, but not a train wreck. (A train wreck would have given up more yards and maybe a TD).
  • Sims is locking in on one target, still
  • The Sims-Smith mesh is still a problem.
  • Djimon Brooks is a heckuva player.
  • Juanyeh Thomas made some great coverage plays.
  • OK, I'm a Tech Fan, but I think about half of the interference calls should have been OPI.
  • So many plays where 10 out of 11 got their job done, but the one that missed or got beat wrecked everything.
  • No real momentum changing turnovers. There were fumbles, but they tended to be self-recovered.

Deleted member 2897

No ones but hurt about a kid playing on the road and starting slow but accounting for 240 yard and the lone TD being called putrid. GT fans are the worse.

Keep it up and you’re going to get reported for personal attacks. All I said was he started slow and wasn’t playing well early. You can’t refute that. He was 1 for 6 at one point with multiple fumbles. And you certainly shouldn’t be hurling passive aggressive personal insults.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Eh, this would mean more if there weren’t only 4 freshman getting meaningful playing time on offense in the conference. Sims, Gibbs, a RB from Syracuse, and a Pitt WR.

Coming into this weekend, Sims was 12th in the conference in passing yards, had the most interceptions per attempt, and was 7th in QB rushing. He may end up great, but the numbers this year haven’t been outstanding.

GT fans are the worse.

Milwaukee

Banned
Best game Thacker has called on the Flats by a mile. I’m only assuming his thinking was “we’re so short-handed we don’t stand a chance so we may as well blitz a lot and even show some exotic blitzes”.
My argument if that assumption is correct is “why tf haven’t we done this all season?”
Dude, we are out manned and short handed, creative blitzes and schemes are the only thing that can help our D.
Buck up!!

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

I’m not saying to put him in the HOF, but you’re talking about a true freshman starting for what was the worst offense in the conference one year prior.
He has a lot to work on, but I think he’s played well for a true freshman.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
For the umteenth time you need to get off your knees for Sims. The kid is a beast, he’s not putrid, he’s only playing putrid because he’s young and has zero experience. He’s gonna be a baller. How else do I need to spell that out for you so you’ll stop acting like a sociopath?
When I type slower it doesn’t help 😂
I know there are 5 pages of posts following this one, but I think Jeff is still drinking from a fire hose. It's clear he has a great arm, great legs, elusiveness, calm, eyes downfield, and all the other attributes necessary to be a next-level QB. It's also clear he's a true freshman. He's missing reads, late sometimes, etc., but I'm excited to see what this kid is going to grow into. I'm very excited for the future. Bummed tonight, but excited for the future.

I don't know what I saw today rose to the level of putrid. It was inconsistent, but he had several receivers also drop passes they had no business dropping.

I did find it interesting that the color commentator kept getting onto the receivers for not running routes with effort. Not sure what that was all about.