NC State 2/21

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ND is a Sunday 6:30 game, followed by another Tuesday night game. Also, ND has the whole week off this week.

FWIW I had last night as a likely loss - bad schedule set up for us and I have next Tuesday at Pitt as a likely loss.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ah man, last night kinda hurt. I hadn't felt that way after a GT loss since ... sheesh, I don't know how long. The past few years I've been kinda like, "Eh, we loss. Just brings us closer to a coaching change."

Now I got, like, expectations and whatnot. That last play was beautiful, wish the shot had fallen.

Funny the "airbawl" chant seemed to effect the Smith guy. Having an actual crowd is kind of a deadly weapon.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah man, last night kinda hurt. I hadn't felt that way after a GT loss since ... sheesh, I don't know how long. The past few years I've been kinda like, "Eh, we loss. Just brings us closer to a coaching change."

Now I got, like, expectations and whatnot. That last play was beautiful, wish the shot had fallen.

Funny the "airbawl" chant seemed to effect the Smith guy. Having an actual crowd is kind of a deadly weapon.
Was at the game - he was definitely rattled. Gottfried actually sat him for a couple minutes in the second half - I have to think that at least part of that was to give him some time to clear his head and settle down.

To his credit, he regrouped and made a couple big shots down the stretch. Kid's a really good player (stating the obvious).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Was at the game - he was definitely rattled. Gottfried actually sat him for a couple minutes in the second half - I have to think that at least part of that was to give him some time to clear his head and settle down.

To his credit, he regrouped and made a couple big shots down the stretch. Kid's a really good player (stating the obvious).

Yeah, you could see it in his face. Too bad we couldn't get control of that one other kid that kept draining timely 3's.

Also, that sequence at the end of the 1st half was just lovely. That was like watching a slow motion trainwreckdumpsterfire. I was sitting at home like, "Oh the humanity!!" :eek:

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
ND is a Sunday 6:30 game, followed by another Tuesday night game. Also, ND has the whole week off this week.
FWIW I had last night as a likely loss - bad schedule set up for us and I have next Tuesday at Pitt as a likely loss.

Pitt is at home but with one day rest probably another NC State kind of game. If we lose to ND and Pitt, rather than fight the orange in the carrier dome, I would limit minutes for Lammers to under 20 and maybe a couple of other starters as well to rest legs for ACCT. ACCT played in Brooklyn. Neutral court which, with rested legs, would give us a shot of taking a couple of wins.

You never want to throw in the towel but with tired legs and the grind these courageous young men have fought through, I would like to see them hitting on all cylinders for ACCT. Also might find a new hot hand under fire at the carrier dome.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want to commend the student section. Loud. Chanting at the opponents. Chanting a recruits name that was there. Great job.

Makes me think back to the Drive to Succeed special shown earlier this year where they showed Pastner going to meet with a group of students and like 8 showed up. Now look. We have a student section again and they are helping with the energy and atmosphere in the building.

I also saw this stat from FTRS this morning about Ben Lammers
He's been on the court for 87.6% of the minutes Tech has played this season, which ranks 56th in all of Division I basketball and 1st among players who primarily play in the post.

Since the Tusculum game, Lammers has played 158/160 possible minutes. Josh Heath has played 149/160 possible minutes. Josh Okogie has played 144/160 possible minutes. Quinton Stephens rolled an ankle and sat most of the Boston College game, but has played 116/120 minutes in the three games since. Last season, Marcus Georges-Hunt played the full 40 minutes against Notre Dame on February 20th, becoming the first Georgia Tech player to do so since 1999. This year, Ben Lammers has done that four times and Quinton Stephens has done it five.

so basically Lammers is playing more minutes than any post player in the country.

slugboy

Staff member
On a game like this, it's so easy to pick out one thing, but it was just about anything. Refs weren't great. The inbound at the end of the first. Lammers didn't score until the end of the 2nd. Out-rebounded. Layups were way off. Really bad shooting. Didn't score 70--if we make it to 70, we win. A little more luck in 3 point defense and the game is won.
There were some great parts of the game--the blocks were tremendous. Energy is high on the court and in the stands.
In some ways, this game was harder to watch than the games early in the season--you know they can win, but they're just having a bad night. At the beginning of the season, you didn't expect anything.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Tired legs, missed free throws, and missed lay ups. Also doesn't help that NC State made key 3's throughout the game. If this game was on a Thursday we get the dub.

Also CJP was just on 680 and said Pitt game doesn't mean anything we have to win SYR or ND, and if not 2 games in the ACC Tourny. He also said he is on his way to see a recruit who is "very high caliber" and we are now in a good position for, and thought it wasn't possible at beginning of his year. Credited the fast turnaround and staff.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Tired legs, missed free throws, and missed lay ups. Also doesn't help that NC State made key 3's throughout the game. If this game was on a Thursday we get the dub.

Also CJP was just on 680 and said Pitt game doesn't mean anything we have to win SYR or ND, and if not 2 games in the ACC Tourny. He also said he is on his way to see a recruit who is "very high caliber" and we are now in a good position for, and thought it wasn't possible at beginning of his year. Credited the fast turnaround and staff.
Jordan Tucker?

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to commend the student section. Loud. Chanting at the opponents. Chanting a recruits name that was there. Great job.

Makes me think back to the Drive to Succeed special shown earlier this year where they showed Pastner going to meet with a group of students and like 8 showed up. Now look. We have a student section again and they are helping with the energy and atmosphere in the building.

I also saw this stat from FTRS this morning about Ben Lammers
He's been on the court for 87.6% of the minutes Tech has played this season, which ranks 56th in all of Division I basketball and 1st among players who primarily play in the post.

Since the Tusculum game, Lammers has played 158/160 possible minutes. Josh Heath has played 149/160 possible minutes. Josh Okogie has played 144/160 possible minutes. Quinton Stephens rolled an ankle and sat most of the Boston College game, but has played 116/120 minutes in the three games since. Last season, Marcus Georges-Hunt played the full 40 minutes against Notre Dame on February 20th, becoming the first Georgia Tech player to do so since 1999. This year, Ben Lammers has done that four times and Quinton Stephens has done it five.

so basically Lammers is playing more minutes than any post player in the country.
Red's comments are dead on as usual.

Crowd was great last night - probably less than 1000 from sellout and less than 1000 NC State folks in the house (I sit behind the visitor bench - and sometimes (Syracuse, Lousiville, and UNC games this year in particular feel like I was at a road game). Students filled it up well before tip and were loud/chanting .. but not sure getting on Dennis Smith was the one I would have picked to try to get in his head (but he did shoot the air ball).

To me this game could have been won - too many missed FT, too many missed layups (some contested, but you expect to make higher percentage when you get those looks), and Lammers had an off night (proved he is human - was not anything NC State did, he just did not have it last night).

What this showed (exposed - that we already knew) is lack of depth - if this were UNC, Duke, FSU, etc - they would have tried different combinations to try to find something that was working - sometimes you do and sometimes you don't, but CJP has very few options that can consistently play at this level - and if one or two of our 7 man rotation is not on, we will struggle against any P5 team. Not sure how much fatigue was a factor - might be more mental than physical - but most of the team was a step slow most of the game (lost more 50-50 balls and got out hustled for rebounds than we've become accustomed to seeing).

Team did not quit - as some teams could. NC State made mistakes to give us a chance and it nearly cost them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

That three he drilled from straight away was an NBA shot and he made it look easy

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hadn't seen it mentioned yet but it was good to see JMo show a flash of confidence on that gorgeous layup in the first half. He ended up his rear (no call) but hey, we are apparently getting used to that....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That three he drilled from straight away was an NBA shot and he made it look easy

Yep, that was a huge shot but he looked largely shaken most of the 2nd half.

And, if you think no one's mentioned Moore's layup, you might wanna tilt your head up about 15 degrees.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Usually blow right by that guys posts....

clarity.gif