Nate Cottrell out for year, Mikell Lands-Davis moves to A-back

If you honestly think that our D is just damn good and needs no improvement then quit debating back with me. I know what this team needs to hold the same success it had a year ago. We lost a lot of guys on the O and I hope and pray that the veteran D in Roofs third year will step it up.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Haters gotta hate. Last year it was CPJ had to produce or it was time for him to leave. This year it's Roof. Next year it will be the Band Director.

When crunch time came late in the season:

Somehow with a sh***y defense, we kept uga's offense out of the end zone except for the first drive of the game and the last drive of regulation.

Somehow with a sh***y defense we kept FSU out of the end zone the entire second half when their offense was playing as flawlessly as they played all year.

Somehow with a sh***y defense we kept Clemson out of the end zone. Say that again, out of the end zone.

Somehow with a sh***y defense Miss St was NEVER NEVER in the Orange Bowl. I was in the Orange Bowl that night, but Miss St wasn't.

So let's fire all the defensive coaches and start over if they repeat that miserable performance again this year. Yeah, Boy, that's what we want to do.

If it was done with smoke and mirrors and horseshoes being pulled from butts, well our coaches were damn good at that and who says they can't do it again.

I suspect you're responding to someone I ignore, but I think this post is over the top. There's no need to sugar coat our D. We were awful. We had okay games versus CU, bad O, and georgie where we still really needed the turnovers. When you count giving up FGs vs FSU as good D, you've set the bar too low, imo.

I think it's okay to agree with CPJ that we have to get better.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Hey buddy go back and read what I corrected. It's year 3 plus the experience we have. He needs to show improvements point blank period.

#1 I'm not your buddy #2. I don't think anyone is arguing that we need improvement on that side of the ball #3 there is no way in hell we have a worse defense than last year so there is no point in even saying "We need to show improvement." Its a blank statement. #4 Ted Roof has shown with talent he can have an average to above average defense, so don't come on here raising hell when we aren't a top 25 defense

#1 I'm not your buddy #2. I don't think anyone is arguing that we need improvement on that side of the ball #3 there is no way in hell we have a worse defense than last year so there is no point in even saying "We need to show improvement." Its a blank statement. #4 Ted Roof has shown with talent he can have an average to above average defense, so don't come on here raising hell when we aren't a top 25 defense
Yea we do need to show improvement! If the D doesn't step up this year, will be back to 6-7 wins a year.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We gave up 35+ plus points! Hmmm not a lot in the college football game huh ????

34 with one of those TD being on a Hail Mary.
Nonetheless we were mediocre D and need to improve.
@AE87 I have to disagree, allowing FGs instead TDs are signs of a good defense imo. I could care less about yardage honestly it is all about scoring D and goal should <= 24ppg

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Our defense showed considerable improvement in the 2nd half of the season last year with little depth on the defensive line. That was enough for me to be optimistic about this season with all of the added depth and incoming talent. Does Roof need to prove it on the field? Of course. I like the job he did last year overall though.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'll say this ... (Should I say it?) ... (It's going to blow up this already blown up thread even more) ... (people may get the wrong idea) ... (Ok, I'm going to say it anyway) ...

I miss Tenuta.

And, I'll say it to anybody, anywhere. We didn't get better athletes with him that we do now, on the DL or anywhere else on D. Yet, we were always somewhere between 10th best and 30th best D in all the land. How did we do it then?

Before anybody gets the total wrong idea about where I personally stand on CTR, I'm still for him. I was totally impressed with the improvement of our D the 2nd half of the year and amazed by the turnovers ... and, anytime we dominate UGA's run game like we did with the personnel they've got, I can only celebrate in awe (it was Tenuta-esque). There's a lot to like and be hopeful for with CTR. Him succeeding, continuing to improve the defense is the best thing that could happen to GT football right now.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this ... (Should I say it?) ... (It's going to blow up this already blown up thread even more) ... (people may get the wrong idea) ... (Ok, I'm going to say it anyway) ...

I miss Tenuta.

And, I'll say it to anybody, anywhere. We didn't get better athletes with him that we do now, on the DL or anywhere else on D. Yet, we were always somewhere between 10th best and 30th best D in all the land. How did we do it then?

Before anybody gets the total wrong idea about where I personally stand on CTR, I'm still for him. I was totally impressed with the improvement of our D the 2nd half of the year and amazed by the turnovers ... and, anytime we dominate UGA's run game like we did with the personnel they've got, I can only celebrate in awe (it was Tenuta-esque). There's a lot to like and be hopeful for with CTR. Him succeeding, continuing to improve the defense is the best thing that could happen to GT football right now.
I agree with you, and wish we could have seen Paul Johnson's offense with Tenuta's defense. I loved the way we brought it to the opposing team and really dictated the flow of the game. Of course, it wasn't perfect, but I thought it would be an excellent compliment to what we do on O.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
34 with one of those TD being on a Hail Mary.
Nonetheless we were mediocre D and need to improve.
@AE87 I have to disagree, allowing FGs instead TDs are signs of a good defense imo. I could care less about yardage honestly it is all about scoring D and goal should <= 24ppg

I agree that it's about scoring D. That was my point. Only 6 offenses averaged at least a FG/drive against power 5 opponents in 2014. Only 5 teams who played more than 2 pwr5 teams gave up FG/dr or more. Setting the bar there is too low.

For the season, FSU averaged 2.56 ppd. They averaged over 4ppd versus us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
From this thread I deduce 3 things:

(1) Everyone agrees the defense needs to be better.
(2) Everyone thinks it will be better.
(3) Some are arguing because they think someone out there does not understand how passionately they believe (1) & (2).

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
By the numbers , Ted hasn't done much to whoa anybody. If we don't create turnovers we lose 2-3 more games. I'm just saying that it's time for his D to rise up and help this young and inexperienced offense.
The D is a big reason we won the VT, Clemson, and UGA games last year. If we had lost those three there would be a much different vibe right now.

The D is a big reason we won the VT, Clemson, and UGA games last year. If we had lost those three there would be a much different vibe right now.
You make a real good point. I guess the point that I'm trying to get across is the D needs to be as strong as the O for us to win double digits games this year.