Nate Cottrell out for year, Mikell Lands-Davis moves to A-back

We knew we would be inexpierenced at these positions way before now.. If Paul Johnson ever fires Ted Roof it would be the worst mistake of his career. Why would we attract any top coordinator when we have went through 4 including Charles Kelly?
By the numbers , Ted hasn't done much to whoa anybody. If we don't create turnovers we lose 2-3 more games. I'm just saying that it's time for his D to rise up and help this young and inexperienced offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The d will save us till the young ab, bb , wr get on same page at midseason. Then after a bobble or two, we roll into last part of season .

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I just think there is to many inexperienced players at the skill positions to overcome some great teams. GT will be competitive but I don't know if these guys will make the keys plays late in the game. Let's not forgot about how our awful D has been. Yes we created a lot of turnovers, but that may not happen this year. Only way we win 10+ games is if the D turns the corner. I also believe if the D doesn't turn the corner than Ted maybe looking for another job. Let's face it guys, our D sucked last year for most of the year. I'm hoping for another great season but I honestly believe this year is going to have its ups and downs. Just another typical GT football team. Great one year back to mediocre the next.

Name one great team we play this season, even on paper?

Name one great team we play this season, even on paper?
I should used the word good. ND, Clemson, Miami, VT, FSU, and UGA. Like I keep saying to some of you boys that need do your research. This season isn't going to be a breeze through. If the D plays like it did last year , GT is going to struggle some. We were so fortunate to have seniors at every skill position last year and they saved our terrible D. It's time for the D to save our inexperienced O this year.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I think this speaks more to MM than any bad news on MLD. I'm looking forward to seeing MLD at AB, actually. Kid was very versatile in H.S. and played several positions including some WR. Big strong body with hands at AB. I'm down with that.

EXACTLY.

After watching his junior and senior film I've been saying to anyone who would listen MLD is a true, versatile, skill athlete and not just a straight ahead BB.

Playing several positions he showed hands, ball skills, and the ability to make plays in space. I actually like him at S too. Kid has skilz!

Declinometer

Banned
You mean after he got his leg twisted on a tackle after like the 3rd carry, then proceeded to carry defenders on his back the rest of the scrimmage on a bum leg he didn't seem all that into it?

Okay...

No....I mean that what I saw is why he is behind a freshman and a transfer.

Last edited:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It was pretty cool at fan day at the BB table. MLD was talking up MM big time, going crazy about what a great scrimmage he had and how well he was doing. There was no jealousy at all, nor any concern. We have some guys who can run the ball in this class. Let's get them on the field and let them find their spot.

Thanks for sharing that! Our guys just seem really unselfish and team-oriented. Of course, it also doesn't hurt that we play 3 RBs on every play and MLD has the skills to play AB & BB. I think he knows if he works hard he'll see the field somewhere.

As for MM, one thing I noticed last time I watched his film was he has this little stiff arm he uses A LOT. He is very quick on the draw with it and because he's so low and has a nice powerbase it kind of jacks up defenders long enough for him to duck by them. Watch the film closely and focus on how he deals with contact. It happens so quick you have to watch out for it. He does a great job of making a cuts at speed and sort of shocks guys then is off to the races before they can recover.

The other thing I noticed was he had very little receiving video. Maybe 1 pass. Of course they did just fine handing it to him so why bother? Anyway, there was no way to evaluate him as a receiver.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Perkins and MLD are a trade off at this point in time. Perkins was solid at the a-back position. He blocked extremely well on the edge. Now 4 years from now we could have this argument and MLD may be better but as of right now I'd much rather have Perkins lining up at aback than MLD
In retrospect I agree.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I should used the word good. ND, Clemson, Miami, VT, FSU, and UGA. Like I keep saying to some of you boys that need do your research. This season isn't going to be a breeze through. If the D plays like it did last year , GT is going to struggle some. We were so fortunate to have seniors at every skill position last year and they saved our terrible D. It's time for the D to save our inexperienced O this year.

No season is a breeze, but to start sweating before the first snap borders hyperchondria. Also this SR = experience/equals better is just not true. Question: Was Perkins good last season bc he was a senior or bc talent/potential as a runner was finally on display on the field? Same question For Synjyn?

This question can also asked about our D bringing 8 SR guys back. That doesn't equate to better, even tho with JHD I think we will be.

As many may disagree, Aback is not rocket science and with the infusion of talent at that spot I expect a smooth transition

No season is a breeze, but to start sweating before the first snap borders hyperchondria. Also this SR = experience/equals better is just not true. Question: Was Perkins good last season bc he was a senior or bc talent/potential as a runner was finally on display on the field? Same question For Synjyn?

This question can also asked about our D bringing 8 SR guys back. That doesn't equate to better, even tho with JHD I think we will be.

As many may disagree, Aback is not rocket science and with the infusion of talent at that spot I expect a smooth transition
If you think GT is going to have another season like last year with D not making a major jump, then you really need get off the train. I'm just being very realistic that the D needs to improve. Our offense is going to struggle at times with the inexperience. Part of the game. I hope I wrong. I'm just being the devils advocate .

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I've always kind of thought Marshall would look at B-back like so many fans believed Snoddy would look there. He's got a great burst and if he gets open field, he's gone. The thing he has going for him that Snoddy never did is he knows how to run low and behind his pads better, which will help him get through the first level to the second, where he can do some real damage.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
These players weren't starters, and at least 3 had hardly gotten any playing time at all leading up to the 2015 season on offense: Perkins, D.Hill, Zenon, Bostic, Synjyn, Laskey, Snoddy, Andrews, Waller.

They produced when they got the chance. Let's hope the guys this year come through as well. Makes me hopeful. Although I still feel uncomfortable counting on freshmen, if they play it means they earned it by beating out the other guys for that PT.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I am more concerned about AB perimeter blocking than defense:

Snoddy's strength is running. Searcy's strength is receiving and running. Lynch I'm not sure on. Willis is probably the best all around guy when blocking is considered. So it makes a lot of sense to beef up AB with MLD and Jordan, IMO. Particularly when WR blocking is considered. Summers is pretty good in that department but I'm not sure about June. Stewart has showed out in the passing game so far but PJ has said "he needs to get stronger" which I'm wondering means he isn't physical enough to block well yet. Messick I am hoping shows up big in the blocking department.

My observation of our D last year was that the fundamentals got much better as the year went on. Specifically we hit harder, tackled better, and took better angles. I thought pass rush and getting off blocks continued to be an issue.

The improvement was on display vs UGA when we stonewalled their run game in the second half. Forced to live through a lower percentage air attack (incompletes, holdings, sacks, ints), UGA had trouble sustaining drives, including their OT drive where DJ comes up with the pick. Meanwhile we scored with mostly FB dives in OT.

Orange Bowl was a carbon copy. Did we give up a bajillion yds through the air? Yeah. Did we stop their runs? Yeah. Did a lot of their drives end in incompletions, sacks, ints, etc? Yeah.

I'm not saying our defense was good last year. Only that it got better, and that improvement was fundamental and mostly in stopping the run. Question is will improvement continue? Roof's record suggests it will for one. He has turned around horrible defenses at GT(1st stint), Duke, and Minnesota. Roof's D's historically hemorrhage passing yds between the 20's in favor of stopping the run while looking for the drive-stopping incompl/int/sack/fumble/penalty. If no stop comes he will seek to stop you in the red zone where it's harder for you to score since you can't run it well and the field is compressed for passsing.

Problem was last year our pass rush stunk and early in the year our fundamentals were sketchy still vs. the run.

Upfront this year we should win more 1-on-1 battles in the pass rush. Hunt Days and Gotsis look good at DT, K-free is an emerging star at DE, and Simmons and Whitehead should help K-free provide a rush on obvious passing downs. Gamble is a capable DT and can be inserted at SDE to help shut down the run. Kallon provides some depth. At DE we have some other guys in Rook, Stargell, and Merriweather who may develop and certainly won't be worse than last year. There are more and better horses to work with.

At LB PJ Davis and Macordes have played a bunch. Macordes was strong when healthy and can rush the passer. Terrell Lewis looks like the real deal as well, and Hankins looked good end of last season.

Secondary I'm not that concerned. All four positions are occupied by vets, and behind them we have some good players.

So I see D improving at least one very noticeable order of magnitude, and I fret about perimeter blocking.