Nate Cottrell out for year, Mikell Lands-Davis moves to A-back

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
If you think GT is going to have another season like last year with D not making a major jump, then you really need get off the train. I'm just being very realistic that the D needs to improve. Our offense is going to struggle at times with the inexperience. Part of the game. I hope I wrong. I'm just being the devils advocate .
The D definitely needs to improve this year without a doubt but talking about firing CTR is crazy talk. We've recruited better the last couple of years thanks in large part to Ted. He has made strides in recruiting Gwinnett County which is the top football area in the state. Continuity of staff IMO is the most important thing we can do to be consistently competitive. Let's face it we don't have 5 star defenders running around and probably never will. A DC at tech has to pull rabits out of hats. Will we get better this year, we better but I like the consistency and energy Ted brings. I think it is counter productive to even think about firing him.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
You shuffle BC you have depth. In the words of CPJ, "Why have a good player that you feel can contribute, buried on depth chart and not on the field"

Feels like another damn if you do, damn if you don't for CPJ. Many complained in past years that we were not get our best 11 on th field. Now that we have depth and talent we don't want to put them in a position to help us?
Amen to that.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
We knew we would be inexpierenced at these positions way before now.. If Paul Johnson ever fires Ted Roof it would be the worst mistake of his career. Why would we attract any top coordinator when we have went through 4 including Charles Kelly?
Roof is doing a good job, AND he's recruiting his *** off. Hes not going anywhere. Not to mention bringing Pelton.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Here’s my observations of what we should expect from our offense this year:

upload_2015-8-11_12-12-38.jpeg

College football in general has changed and defense isn't as good because of the way offense is now. But to sit here and be fine with Ted is disturbing to me. He hasn't done anything to whoa me. When he was here his first time, he didn't whoa me neither. Maybe firing him was a little to much but if the D struggles again this year, his seat could be warming up. If anyone doesn't like it then I ask for you to just look up the stats. It's terrible other than the turnover margin. I don't want him gone but he needs to improve his side of the ball. We have a lot of guys back on D so there is no excuse this year. He has to do better or else!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Haters gotta hate. Last year it was CPJ had to produce or it was time for him to leave. This year it's Roof. Next year it will be the Band Director.

When crunch time came late in the season:

Somehow with a sh***y defense, we kept uga's offense out of the end zone except for the first drive of the game and the last drive of regulation.

Somehow with a sh***y defense we kept FSU out of the end zone the entire second half when their offense was playing as flawlessly as they played all year.

Somehow with a sh***y defense we kept Clemson out of the end zone. Say that again, out of the end zone.

Somehow with a sh***y defense Miss St was NEVER NEVER in the Orange Bowl. I was in the Orange Bowl that night, but Miss St wasn't.

So let's fire all the defensive coaches and start over if they repeat that miserable performance again this year. Yeah, Boy, that's what we want to do.

If it was done with smoke and mirrors and horseshoes being pulled from butts, well our coaches were damn good at that and who says they can't do it again.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone here's saying last year was OK or we don't need to get better.

Roof himself and Coach J are saying it too.

On paper the defense projects as being better based on trenches and improved rush. But it is just on paper right now. Great thing is we get to see what happens because the season's right around the corner!

I don't think anyone here's saying last year was OK or we don't need to get better.

Roof himself and Coach J are saying it too.

On paper the defense projects as being better based on trenches and improved rush. But it is just on paper right now. Great thing is we get to see what happens because the season's right around the corner!
Tell that to doh doh above your last post. My argument is that our offense is probably not going to produce the way it did last year. With that said, our D needs to pick up the slack his year. And by the way to the poster above, the defense set orange bowl records for most passing yards and total yards. We have a lot of experience coming back. If we don't see improvements this year than yes, Roof should be evaluated. It's his time to shine with the offense being inexperienced. It's going to take a team effort for us to win double digit games again.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
College football in general has changed and defense isn't as good because of the way offense is now. But to sit here and be fine with Ted is disturbing to me. He hasn't done anything to whoa me. When he was here his first time, he didn't whoa me neither. Maybe firing him was a little to much but if the D struggles again this year, his seat could be warming up. If anyone doesn't like it then I ask for you to just look up the stats. It's terrible other than the turnover margin. I don't want him gone but he needs to improve his side of the ball. We have a lot of guys back on D so there is no excuse this year. He has to do better or else!

If Nick Saban had our defensive front last year he would have looked bad as well. Defense is all bout athletes and we are starting to bring more of those in on that side of the ball. Ted IMO had a decent first year at Tech and then last year....This is the problem with our society today everyone wants results now and no one has patience to wait on success.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What concerns me the most is how long it took all those guys to get good. I think the new group has a higher upside, but how long will it take for them to reach it, I just don't know.
This is the million dollar question that many of us have. Is this offense so schematically different that experience is far more valuable than talent? The talent may be the best we have ever had. This may be the third least experienced group of A-backs we have had at Tech. We shall see.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Was Perkins good last season bc he was a senior or bc talent/potential as a runner was finally on display on the field? Same question For Synjyn?
O.K., I'll take a crack at that. Perkins possessed all kinds of potential out of high school. He had a serious and chronic shoulder injury most of his time at Tech. Last year was the first time it all came together for him, including finally being healthy.

Synjyn, spent an off season, in my opinion, bulking up and training and finally trying to get his body into the mold of a B-back. Experience also helped.

Not arguing with anyone, just giving my take on those two players.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Orange Bowl was a carbon copy. Did we give up a bajillion yds through the air? Yeah. Did we stop their runs? Yeah. Did a lot of their drives end in incompletions, sacks, ints, etc? Yeah.
I have had this argument many times with people. But I believe we were willing to give up a lot of meaningless passing yards in order to play a strategy that won us the game. The defense was not solid so we had to choose to play a certain way to give us the best chance. Missy State was completing high percentage plays but not being explosive and that cost them the game. When they were down by over 3 touchdowns much of their passing yardage amounted to garbage time. When CPJ points to how many yards were given up passing, I believe (1) he is well aware that many of those yards were meaningless (2) many of those yards were due to a bend don't break defense that was covering liabilities (3) he wants the defense to be so fundamentally sound that it will not have to resort to strategies like that in the future and can even make garbage time a nightmare for the other team.

If Nick Saban had our defensive front last year he would have looked bad as well. Defense is all bout athletes and we are starting to bring more of those in on that side of the ball. Ted IMO had a decent first year at Tech and then last year....This is the problem with our society today everyone wants results now and no one has patience to wait on success.
Hey buddy go back and read what I corrected. It's year 3 plus the experience we have. He needs to show improvements point blank period.

There is so many ways to look at this guys but I think everybody would feel the way I did if the Offense didn't bail them out most of the year. Go back and watch the FSU game, our D line was as bad as it gets on this level. I think will see some improvements but until we start to land those big uglies , will struggle until then. It's not just GT , it's everyone these days. We just to get two or three more third down stops a game and will be fine.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
As far as yds given up in the Orange Bowl, I'll just quote Bear Bryant. WTTE "That space between the 20's on the field is for the fans. From the 20's to the goal line is where football is played". I saw some football being played in the OB.

As far as yds given up in the Orange Bowl, I'll just quote Bear Bryant. WTTE "That space between the 20's on the field is for the fans. From the 20's to the goal line is where football is played". I saw some football being played in the OB.
We gave up 35+ plus points! Hmmm not a lot in the college football game huh ????

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Go back and watch the FSU game. Their D Line looked pretty bad, also, against our offense. They were absolutely gutted the first half, and a good bit of the second half. So what does that prove, that FSU's coaches are bad and can't recruit?