Nate Cottrell out for year, Mikell Lands-Davis moves to A-back

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Moving the conversation over here from CPJ's post-practice audio today...

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/nate-cottrell-out-for-year-mikell-lands-davis-move/nnG8b/

Lands-Davis became the odd man out at B-back after Marcus Allen, Patrick Skov and first-year freshman Marcus Marshall proved themselves the top three at that position in the first nine days of the preseason. Johnson said coaches will take a look to see how the switch progresses.

Quarterbacks and B-backs coach Bryan Cook said that Marshall needs to still learn a lot of fundamentals of the position, but “he’s got really good feet. He’s got a burst.”

Johnson also said that freshman B-back Quaide Weimerskirch, whose foot injury in the spring prompted Allen to return to B-back, is expected to return following the second game of the season.

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Been prepared to hear that about Nathan, still hate it for him! Having said that after hearing about how MM played in the scrimmage Saturday moving MLD to A back makes perfect sense given his skill sets. If you go back and look at his video you'll see has a good pair of hands, he a running back that is also a true athlete given all the positions he played in high school.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you expect MLD or MM to redshirt this year? Will any True Frosh play at those positions or will we be able to get by with 5 AB and 2 BB?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don't think MM will redshirt provided he stays healthy. I think MLD will redshirt unless he has a breakout moment.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm getting more and more concerned about the season.
I'm not sure what recent events cause this concern. Losing Cotrell is tough for sure. However, MLD moving to AB is not concerning news to me. I think he may be good there. He has a good blend of power, moves, and speed. It may be a great thing in the end. Skov, Marshall, and Allen sound like a good group on the inside to me.

It was pretty cool at fan day at the BB table. MLD was talking up MM big time, going crazy about what a great scrimmage he had and how well he was doing. There was no jealousy at all, nor any concern. We have some guys who can run the ball in this class. Let's get them on the field and let them find their spot.

Personally, I kind of like the blend of abilities shaping up at AB. Snoddy has the burning speed and HR potential and can break tackles. Searcy has the moves, speed, body control, and soft hands. Jordan is a tough runner with good overall coordination. MLD is a rather large guy for the position with some physicality to accompany his running talents. Plus, we have Willis and the rest who have shown themselves capable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I kind of like the blend of abilities shaping up at AB. Snoddy has the burning speed and HR potential and can break tackles. Searcy has the moves, speed, body control, and soft hands. Jordan is a tough runner with good overall coordination. MLD is a rather large guy for the position with some physicality to accompany his running talents. Plus, we have Willis and the rest who have shown themselves capable.

I agree with this. Said it a few times over several threads...I'm really excited to see how the AB position plays out over the next few seasons, starting with this season, obviously. This is the first year I can remember that our AB corps will be comprised of mostly "athletes" and "multi-purpose" backs as opposed to pure RBs in past years.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I'm getting more and more concerned about the season.
Same. One minute it's depth depth depth, then all of a sudden the shuffling makes it seem thin. I trust the coaches, though. And we have bodies at AB, but I really thought NC was gonna be a burner for us this year. I was hoping to see him return kicks too. Let's hope IKE is good to go soon. Also, we were way more concerned this time last year.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Marshall is beast. He and Skov will tag team and try to RS QW.

That said - I'm exited to see Jordan on field. Heard huge things from recruiting days.

Golden solid at return man

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Same. One minute it's depth depth depth, then all of a sudden the shuffling makes it seem thin. I trust the coaches, though. And we have bodies at AB, but I really thought NC was gonna be a burner for us this year. I was hoping to see him return kicks too. Let's hope IKE is good to go soon. Also, we were way more concerned this time last year.

You shuffle BC you have depth. In the words of CPJ, "Why have a good player that you feel can contribute, buried on depth chart and not on the field"

Feels like another damn if you do, damn if you don't for CPJ. Many complained in past years that we were not get our best 11 on th field. Now that we have depth and talent we don't want to put them in a position to help us?