Nate Cottrell out for year, Mikell Lands-Davis moves to A-back

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Do you expect MLD or MM to redshirt this year? Will any True Frosh play at those positions or will we be able to get by with 5 AB and 2 BB?

2013 we started the season with 8 ABs and 2014 with 7 ABs. I would love to see Jordan and MLD as 5th and 6th and if no one else gets hurt McClellan would be #7 and the rest (smaller players Jarrett and T Marshall) could RS along with Cottrell. Due to injuries we only had 4 healthy scholly ABs for the OB but I think CPJ prefers at least a couple more ready to play.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubted CPJ for recruiting a bazillion running backs. I thought class balance was a thing.

CPJ proved me wrong. So glad for the bazillion running backs.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Who we got now?
Snoddy--should step up in no less a way than Perkins/Hill/Zenon did
Searcy-- gifted athlete, high ceiling, high floor

Willis--walk on. What can I say other than no where near the talent of Godhigh?
Lynch--Solid player. 2nd year in the system. A replacement level AB, which by no means is an insult.
Jordan--No clue how it'll work with him here.
Davis-- Gifted athlete, one day will be a huge contributor to this team, but will it begin this year?
Marshall and Jarrett--babies, let them eat solid food before they try to play football.

Looks like the group is weakest than it has been in recent memory, but better this group than any other.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
Who we got now?

Lynch--Solid player. 2nd year in the system. A replacement level AB, which by no means is an insult.
Davis-- Gifted athlete, one day will be a huge contributor to this team, but will it begin this year?
Marshall and Jarrett--babies, let them eat solid food before they try to play football.

Looks like the group is weakest than it has been in recent memory, but better this group than any other.
Weakest Based on what?
One other thing, Skov was the #4 FB in the country coming out of HS. If we had signed that level of player this year, people would be giddy and up in arms if he wasn't starting by now. Skov is a Sr but didn't come here right out of HS so people think we may have issues at BB?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yea I don’t see this as being bad at all. Bad would be hearing Allen, Skov, and Marshall as the top 3 BB’s and not hearing anything about MLD. MLD getting moved to AB just speaks to his versatility. I believe he played WR quite a bit in high school.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Inexperienced? Yes. Weakest? Definitely not. I think we have our most talented stable of backs (A and B) of the CPJ era. Time will tell, but we have never had this combination of speed, power, and versatility, top to bottom (of course there is no JD, but I don't think there ever will be).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Who we got now?

I do not see much dropoff, except experience, from last year:
Snoddy vs Snoddy should be a slight upgrade
Bostic vs Searcy should be an upgrade
Zenon vs Lynch should give up a little quick and pick up a little muscle

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I do not see much dropoff, except experience, from last year:
Snoddy vs Snoddy should be a slight upgrade
Bostic vs Searcy should be an upgrade
Zenon vs Lynch should give up a little quick and pick up a little muscle
Andrews vs Jordan should be ? either way
Perkins vs L-Davis could be a tradeoff and in the long run be a +
Hill vs Willis slight droppoff overall but Willis could be a blocking upside

I'm not sure what recent events cause this concern. Losing Cotrell is tough for sure. However, MLD moving to AB is not concerning news to me. I think he may be good there. He has a good blend of power, moves, and speed. It may be a great thing in the end. Skov, Marshall, and Allen sound like a good group on the inside to me.

It was pretty cool at fan day at the BB table. MLD was talking up MM big time, going crazy about what a great scrimmage he had and how well he was doing. There was no jealousy at all, nor any concern. We have some guys who can run the ball in this class. Let's get them on the field and let them find their spot.

Personally, I kind of like the blend of abilities shaping up at AB. Snoddy has the burning speed and HR potential and can break tackles. Searcy has the moves, speed, body control, and soft hands. Jordan is a tough runner with good overall coordination. MLD is a rather large guy for the position with some physicality to accompany his running talents. Plus, we have Willis and the rest who have shown themselves capable.
I just think there is to many inexperienced players at the skill positions to overcome some great teams. GT will be competitive but I don't know if these guys will make the keys plays late in the game. Let's not forgot about how our awful D has been. Yes we created a lot of turnovers, but that may not happen this year. Only way we win 10+ games is if the D turns the corner. I also believe if the D doesn't turn the corner than Ted maybe looking for another job. Let's face it guys, our D sucked last year for most of the year. I'm hoping for another great season but I honestly believe this year is going to have its ups and downs. Just another typical GT football team. Great one year back to mediocre the next.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Andrews vs Jordan should be ? either way
Perkins vs L-Davis could be a tradeoff and in the long run be a +
Hill vs Willis slight droppoff overall but Willis could be a blocking upside

I don't think Perkins and MLD are a trade off at this point in time. Perkins was solid at the a-back position. He blocked extremely well on the edge. Now 4 years from now we could have this argument and MLD may be better but as of right now I'd much rather have Perkins lining up at aback than MLD

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I just think there is to many inexperienced players at the skill positions to overcome some great teams. GT will be competitive but I don't know if these guys will make the keys plays late in the game. Let's not forgot about how our awful D has been. Yes we created a lot of turnovers, but that may not happen this year. Only way we win 10+ games is if the D turns the corner. I also believe if the D doesn't turn the corner than Ted maybe looking for another job. Let's face it guys, our D sucked last year for most of the year. I'm hoping for another great season but I honestly believe this year is going to have its ups and downs. Just another typical GT football team. Great one year back to mediocre the next.

We knew we would be inexpierenced at these positions way before now.. If Paul Johnson ever fires Ted Roof it would be the worst mistake of his career. Why would we attract any top coordinator when we have went through 4 including Charles Kelly?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Gotta find some blockers out of this group. That's what makes our offense go ... the playmaking is what wins the tough games, but the blocking is what allows us to even be in those games in the first place. Snoddy has to step up in this regard being the leader of this group. Ike Willis may play a bunch if for no other reason than this. How good is Lynch in this department? I'm worried about Searcy's blocking and am hoping he's closer to Andrews' level than Bostic's ... Zerbin Singleton was a great AB blocker at Navy at 5'5", 155lbs, so size doesn't have to be the limiting factor for Searcy if he has the desire and toughness. If MLD and Jordan can become good blockers by the halfway point in the year, I'll be excited about that last regular season game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Gotta find some blockers out of this group. That's what makes our offense go ... the playmaking is what wins the tough games, but the blocking is what allows us to even be in those games in the first place. Snoddy has to step up in this regard being the leader of this group. Ike Willis may play a bunch if for no other reason than this. How good is Lynch in this department? I'm worried about Searcy's blocking and am hoping he's closer to Andrews' level than Bostic's ... Zerbin Singleton was a great AB blocker at Navy at 5'5", 155lbs, so size doesn't have to be the limiting factor for Searcy if he has the desire and toughness. If MLD and Jordan can become good blockers by the halfway point in the year, I'll be excited about that last regular season game.
Completely agree! I'd feel a whole lot better about this position if Andrews was still here. A whole lot better. He had really improved his game by the end of the season and had become one of our best Abacks running and blocking, but especially blocking.

What concerns me the most is how long it took all those guys to get good. I think the new group has a higher upside, but how long will it take for them to reach it, I just don't know.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow

Jesus dude. Take a Valium and relax a bit. We talking about practice, not a game, practice. And you're already concluding it's gonna be a mediocre year.

All because a true freshman who has never played a college football game in his life got hurt.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
I rlly like our aback group this year and think its the most talented weve had. Not worried about them. Perkins didn't rlly play much before last year, was never a big Bostic fan and zenon and hill were solid. Snoddy was by far our best aback when he got hurt. I rlly like Searcy and Lynch and than Jordan and MLD give us some bigger boddies there that are talented. Think MLD could be rlly good there, excited to see what he can do.