Myles Sims Committed (Michigan transfer)

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
It was almost half a century ago when I took it, but what is the big deal with calculus. It was just another math, not much different from algebra, trig or geometry. I had much less trouble with calculus than I did with the literature composition courses.
Different strokes for different folks.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I liked this, then unliked it. There are portions I agree with and portions I don't necessarily agree with. I agree it's silly to write off (or on) a kid entering his RSFreshman spring. I agree we don't know much about the kid because he redshirted last year. His coach said he has all the tools to compete (on Michigan), but needs to be more consistent. From the way the coach made his comment, my interpretation is that Miles acted like most freshmen, and was inconsistent in his effort last year; he needs to fix that.

I disagree with Michigan having overall better DB's that us. I guess you can say that because they've historically put more DB's in the pros, but I'd say we have done quite well with our DB's having professional opportunities.
I wasn’t saying our DBs are bad, just that in general Michigan recruits at a higher level than us.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Different brains for different thangs. Unfortunately, I ended up smart in the arts and humanities but math was a mystery I never solved. From what I see with today's kids, though, they don't seem to fear math as much.

I definitely struggled with Calculus. But I took it in high school and scraped a C, and that was a great decision as I took it again in college and aced it.

2 and 3 were a different story...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I definitely struggled with Calculus. But I took it in high school and scraped a C, and that was a great decision as I took it again in college and aced it.

2 and 3 were a different story...
I have ability in numbers , had honors math and chemistry . The shaft ( crappy ) calculus teachers were no problem . Made many friends by freely giving explanations of thier stumbling block issues. Lots of oh is that all that means. The famous sink or swim profs were flunking out too many. Still hard but they are gone and only missed by most
Still have my slide rule but dont use it. Never used calc .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Smh.

This transfer could end up being a baller. He also might never be a star. Believing one possibility to be greater than another is pure opinion. It’s really ignorant of anyone to hate on another’s opinion.

When a GT player transfers out are their often posts from many giving opinions that the loss is not huge or not a real big deal for multiple reasons? Absolutely.

When a transfer comes into GT are there often opinions expressed that the new guy will or could light the world on fire? Absolutely.

Expressing opinions on either side of the above issues is what forums are all about. Demanding some sort of consensus on expressed opinions is juvenile and should embarrass any grown adult for doing so.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Smh.

This transfer could end up being a baller. He also might never be a star. Believing one possibility to be greater than another is pure opinion. It’s really ignorant of anyone to hate on another’s opinion.

When a GT player transfers out are their often posts from many giving opinions that the loss is not huge or not a real big deal for multiple reasons? Absolutely.

When a transfer comes into GT are there often opinions expressed that the new guy will or could light the world on fire? Absolutely.

Expressing opinions on either side of the above issues is what forums are all about. Demanding some sort of consensus on expressed opinions is juvenile and should embarrass any grown adult for doing so.

Who are these fictional characters demanding consensus? All I see are people expressing opinions just like you describe. If my opinion is that somebody else's opinion is dumb, I will say so. I enjoy a good faith debate, but you always resort to whining that people are policing your thoughts whenever they disagree with you.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I have ability in numbers , had honors math and chemistry . The shaft ( crappy ) calculus teachers were no problem . Made many friends by freely giving explanations of thier stumbling block issues. Lots of oh is that all that means. The famous sink or swim profs were flunking out too many. Still hard but they are gone and only missed by most
Still have my slide rule but dont use it. Never used calc .
Still have my slide rule also Ice. Always thought about putting it into a shadow box and display it but never have.

Math discussion reminded me of a U Pitt grad in my company at OCS. Washed out because he could not get concepts of navigation and gunnery. All of our section tried to help him but it was like an unknown foreign language to him. That was the way it was with me in the study of Dantes' Divine Comedy.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Still have my slide rule also Ice. Always thought about putting it into a shadow box and display it but never have.

Math discussion reminded me of a U Pitt grad in my company at OCS. Washed out because he could not get concepts of navigation and gunnery. All of our section tried to help him but it was like an unknown foreign language to him. That was the way it was with me in the study of Dantes' Divine Comedy.
This. I had a higher verbal SAT than math but was Math National Honor Society and all that in HS. Realized pretty quickly after I got to Tech that I was not prepared for the math I had to do even as an IM. My roommates helped me pull through but never got easy for me. OTOH my ChE roomie who graduated in 3 years could not pass the Regents Exam until I gave him a formula to follow for the essay. People are just different which is a good thing. Saying something is easy for you just means your mind and works that way. It has nothing to do with intelligence or effort.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This. I had a higher verbal SAT than math but was Math National Honor Society and all that in HS. Realized pretty quickly after I got to Tech that I was not prepared for the math I had to do even as an IM. My roommates helped me pull through but never got easy for me. OTOH my ChE roomie who graduated in 3 years could not pass the Regents Exam until I gave him a formula to follow for the essay. People are just different which is a good thing. Saying something is easy for you just means your mind and works that way. It has nothing to do with intelligence or effort.

Well it has to do with intelligence, but there isn't just one intelligence - there are many different kinds of it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Ditto on my k e and post never got in shadow box - but fun w grand kids.

Ah the devine comedy- did that one in high school and didn't have a clue of the beautiful phrasing.

As far as visualizing numbers- gt was a big help. In vietnam, the troops had a saying " the most thing is a lieutenant with a map." One late night an ocs non engineer lieutenant called in test fire for an offset target to be sure interlocking artillery was spot on. We got a big booming wake up for us all when he gave them our coded coordinates as the test offet target . Duh! We are here the test is there! Luckily the sop was do test at night while in sleep andcguard bunkers. All is well that ends well.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Whiskey, I agree with your post, but what is upsetting is the fact that if you are positive & excited & optimistic, some posters label you as "drinking the Kool Aid!!" and you are made fun of!! I personally want to go through this life as a positive person, not one that finds the negative about everything!?!?!

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately for us, STEM competency is NOT abundant among the elite recruits we seek (and it IS elite status we seek per CGC). We definitely need to take chances on exceptions (as I have said for decades), but the "math" is against us, juice or no juice. A minimum of research will confirm such.

Animal02

Banned
Whiskey, I agree with your post, but what is upsetting is the fact that if you are positive & excited & optimistic, some posters label you as "drinking the Kool Aid!!" and you are made fun of!! I personally want to go through this life as a positive person, not one that finds the negative about everything!?!?!
No, being positive and excited will not get you labeled a koolaid drinker......believing that all of Tech's road blocks suddenly disappear because of a new coaching staff, and that the AD can do no wrong will.

Animal02

Banned
Who are these fictional characters demanding consensus? All I see are people expressing opinions just like you describe. If my opinion is that somebody else's opinion is dumb, I will say so. I enjoy a good faith debate, but you always resort to whining that people are policing your thoughts whenever they disagree with you.
The people on this board that have said to be quiet, yea, I know, you didn't see it so it didn't happen. :rolleyes:
Except I have the PMs that say differently, and no, I will not share them because they were sent privately.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was the opposite......had Calc in HS and did well....got to Tech, not so much......especially when it came to Diffy Qs.

No calculus in high school, but I took the first 2 quarters at a junior college. That definitely helped.

Calculus including Dif - eq's, no problem. All non-technical classes especially those with writing- no problem. Physics 2 with crazy prof - problem :) And, what is funny is that I made A's in my junior level e-mag classes.