Mutts

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Letting the bar edit the footage and deny access to all cameras and for the time of the party being there smells slightly fishy.
The club is releasing things that are in their best interest to release. They want to spin things in the best way for themselves. In discovery, they will have to produce all of the video available instead of edited video.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
From the article:
In their lawsuit, the Willock family also named several other defendants, including the UGA Athletic Association, Jalen Carter and the Ohio-based dealership that provided Carter with a Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk he was driving the night of the crash.

If the dealership is found partially liable, I wonder if NIL deals using cars as compensation will be second guessed.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
From the article:
In their lawsuit, the Willock family also named several other defendants, including the UGA Athletic Association, Jalen Carter and the Ohio-based dealership that provided Carter with a Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk he was driving the night of the crash.

If the dealership is found partially liable, I wonder if NIL deals using cars as compensation will be second guessed.

NIL is trickling down to HS now. Just what we need: more 16-18 year olds flying around in Challengers, Hellcats etc

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The latest incident involving (former) pup Jalen Carter:

Sgt. Mark Fusetti, who typically has good information on these kinds of things in Philly, wrote this a few hours later: “Here’s the incident – Self check out girlfriend failed to ring up stuff. He (Jalen Carter) grabbed bags and went to walk out they stopped him and he got nasty with cops. Someone from eagles or nfl called and he was released.

Fusetti notes that “Had he not gotten mouthy with the cop we never would’ve heard about it.”

No mainstream media outlets reported on the story. There was no statement from the Eagles, or the police, or Carter, or anybody, really. No charges were filed and no one was arrested, so the rumor just sort of fizzled out over 48 hours.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The latest incident involving (former) pup Jalen Carter:

Sgt. Mark Fusetti, who typically has good information on these kinds of things in Philly, wrote this a few hours later: “Here’s the incident – Self check out girlfriend failed to ring up stuff. He (Jalen Carter) grabbed bags and went to walk out they stopped him and he got nasty with cops. Someone from eagles or nfl called and he was released.

Fusetti notes that “Had he not gotten mouthy with the cop we never would’ve heard about it.”

No mainstream media outlets reported on the story. There was no statement from the Eagles, or the police, or Carter, or anybody, really. No charges were filed and no one was arrested, so the rumor just sort of fizzled out over 48 hours.
I’ve read that companies are losing money over self checkout. It can go wrong in a lot of different ways not even including deliberate theft. Some stores have gone to having a person who will ask if you have a receipt when you’re leaving. That too is becoming a social experiment with some people refusing to have their receipt checked purely out of principle. The rationale being a store no longer has enough cashiers so they force you to use self checkout claiming it saves money but no only are you doing the work for the store now but they are charging higher prices for their products.

Anyway, don’t know the details with Mr. Carter but whether this was intentional theft, exacerbated by aggression or not, to me this is one more example of capitalism unwittingly participating in our social breakdown.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’ve read that companies are losing money over self checkout. It can go wrong in a lot of different ways not even including deliberate theft. Some stores have gone to having a person who will ask if you have a receipt when you’re leaving. That too is becoming a social experiment with some people refusing to have their receipt checked purely out of principle. The rationale being a store no longer has enough cashiers so they force you to use self checkout claiming it saves money but no only are you doing the work for the store now but they are charging higher prices for their products.

Anyway, don’t know the details with Mr. Carter but whether this was intentional theft, exacerbated by aggression or not, to me this is one more example of capitalism unwittingly participating in our social breakdown.

All true but ... he's a dawg so .... yeah, he probably did it. ;)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All true but ... he's a dawg so .... yeah, he probably did it. ;)
We shop at Target. If you put something in the bag that was not scanned, the checkout software beeps a warning until the item is removed from the bag and scanned. Somebody ignored the warning beeps and Carter grabbed the bag before the transaction was complete. The Target eemployee maybe was too agressive, but he is supposed to challenge people in that situation.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We shop at Target. If you put something in the bag that was not scanned, the checkout software beeps a warning until the item is removed from the bag and scanned. Somebody ignored the warning beeps and Carter grabbed the bag before the transaction was complete. The Target eemployee maybe was too agressive, but he is supposed to challenge people in that situation.

As has been said, these establishments are gonna need to weigh the actual savings of having less personnel. Compared to the added costs of shrinkage and potential lawsuits arising from confrontations like these, which happen every day. It shouldn't be up to some minimum wage cashier monitoring 6 self-checkout stations.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Might be off topic, but I prefer self checkout. What I actually prefer is being able to scan the items with my phone and bypass the checkout entirely. I can do that at Sam's, and I can almost do that at Walmart. I have to go to a self checkout register to complete the transaction at Walmart.

On the incident with Carter, there aren't any real details that I have seen. Something about a rumor of "something" happening with his gf at the register and him just grabbing the bags and leaving "maybe before the transaction was complete', then getting "mouthy" with police officers. Did his gf intentionally not scan items? Did he just grab the bags and start to leave before his gf had removed her card, but she ended up paying for all of the items? Were police officers standing at the exit and stopped him, or did store employees stop him? Did he scream and curse at the officers, or was he just firm in asking why he was being detained? All I have seen is simply -- There is a rumor that something happened at a store and police were involved, make up your own opinion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Might be off topic, but I prefer self checkout. What I actually prefer is being able to scan the items with my phone and bypass the checkout entirely. I can do that at Sam's, and I can almost do that at Walmart. I have to go to a self checkout register to complete the transaction at Walmart.

On the incident with Carter, there aren't any real details that I have seen. Something about a rumor of "something" happening with his gf at the register and him just grabbing the bags and leaving "maybe before the transaction was complete', then getting "mouthy" with police officers. Did his gf intentionally not scan items? Did he just grab the bags and start to leave before his gf had removed her card, but she ended up paying for all of the items? Were police officers standing at the exit and stopped him, or did store employees stop him? Did he scream and curse at the officers, or was he just firm in asking why he was being detained? All I have seen is simply -- There is a rumor that something happened at a store and police were involved, make up your own opinion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As has been said, these establishments are gonna need to weigh the actual savings of having less personnel. Compared to the added costs of shrinkage and potential lawsuits arising from confrontations like these, which happen every day. It shouldn't be up to some minimum wage cashier monitoring 6 self-checkout stations.
So far, the evidence suggests many establishments are losing money on this approach. There have been articles in several business journals about it. I understand that for some people scanning is fairly seamless but that is not what the numbers are showing with company bottom lines.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So far, the evidence suggests many establishments are losing money on this approach. There have been articles in several business journals about it. I understand that for some people scanning is fairly seamless but that is not what the numbers are showing with company bottom lines.

Yeah, I cheated. I've seen a couple of those stories and numbers. Honestly though, intuitively, it never made much sense to me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I cheated. I've seen a couple of those stories and numbers. Honestly though, intuitively, it never made much sense to me.
One of the chief complaints we hear in commerce anymore is lack of customer service. Ironically, many great companies were built in the past on delivering service but now it seems so bad in so many different retail settings that even good companies seem to be “getting away” with less service. Self check-out, right now at least, reinforces the general public perception that nobody has “face-to-face” people skills anymore in business.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Look how mad they all are in the comments of this Twitter post. Weird how pointing out low graduation rates for collegiate STUDENT-athletes really sets them all off.

What is the point in “college” sports if none of the athletes ever get degrees? Not even fake BS degrees. How is that even possible?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A story that will come and go overnight because our society no longer values education. I live in a rabid uga community with lots of flags, banners, bumper stickers, and businesses that advertise their allegiance. Even the waitstaff of local restaurants sport uga swag. When I ask the average fan down here how they feel about the low academic performance of the football team, they don’t care. UGA football is no longer in any way, shape or fashion about education. It’s their version of pro football.

The Tech fan culture will always have it hard if schools like uga make a mockery of education. We want to compete but we do not want to stoop to their level or lower our standards.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
A story that will come and go overnight because our society no longer values education. I live in a rabid uga community with lots of flags, banners, bumper stickers, and businesses that advertise their allegiance. Even the waitstaff of local restaurants sport uga swag. When I ask the average fan down here how they feel about the low academic performance of the football team, they don’t care. UGA football is no longer in any way, shape or fashion about education. It’s their version of pro football.

The Tech fan culture will always have it hard if schools like uga make a mockery of education. We want to compete but we do not want to stoop to their level or lower our standards.
Thing is, Alabama is way higher on the metrics. It took 40+ years, but uga sold it soul to win a natty with an alcoholic 35 year old. Outside of the fan base, no one cares.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Uh oh. Not a good look. The surviving staff members phone has been investigated and "1,000s of recruiting text messages" showing the inner workings of uga recruiting are being exposed. Including ones that show drinking was going on at Kirby's house during recruiting visits. He might just take that Alabama or Falcons job after all.

The AJC article is just as bad.

Last edited:

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

Uh oh. Not a good look. The surviving staff members phone has been investigated and "1,000s of recruiting text messages" showing the inner workings of uga recruiting are being exposed. Including ones that show drinking was going on at Kirby's house during recruiting visits. He might just take that Alabama or Falcons job after all.

The AJC article is just as bad.

Same day they penalize FSU for something minor. Why is the FSU story an issue and this is ok?