Mutts

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I know we are all biased but this seems like a really corrupt program. Kind of like the SMU program that got the death penalty only at uga people actually get killed.
All SMU did that I remember is paid players a bunch ‘o money. Was there something else? That was 40 years ago now and I just don’t recall.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
All SMU did that I remember is paid players a bunch ‘o money. Was there something else? That was 40 years ago now and I just don’t recall.
My point was the SMU program was built on a corrupt principle -do whatever you have to do in order to recruit the best players.

Uga’s program has a similar principle but pursues it differently. And that different approach involves either not caring what kind of character you recruit or not carrying enough to put some guidelines in for everyone’s safety.

And it was grime play on the term “death penalty.”

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My point was the SMU program was built on a corrupt principle -do whatever you have to do in order to recruit the best players.

Uga’s program has a similar principle but pursues it differently. And that different approach involves either not caring what kind of character you recruit or not carrying enough to put some guidelines in for everyone’s safety.

And it was grime play on the term “death penalty.”
I get it. I think there's a magnitude of difference between what SMU did (as far as I know) and what goes on at UGAg. That's why I asked.

Also, SMU was a thing before Dickerson and James. They have 3 MNCs from legit polls to their credit (one prior to Dickerson's time), and notable players like Doak Walker, Raymond Berry, Forrest Gregg, and Don Meredith in addition to Dickerson.

Anyway... while they weren't a "power" program in 1980, they weren't a nobody, and the program was built prior to that death penalty. Just sayin'....

Poodletop

Jolly Good Fellow
I see that they dismissed the domestic violence abuser after his second offense. Apparently they get one free shot over there. 😔

CEB

Helluva Engineer
IMG_0028.gif

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
How in blazes can video footage from cameras not provide sufficient evidence of speeding the wrong way down a one-way street?

What did they do, run the footage backward in slow motion and say, “Nope, he wasn’t’ speeding the wrong way, he was slowly backing up in the right direction.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So easy for me to dislike everything about uga -athletes from there, politicians from there, lawyers from there, writers from there…

The whole place just feels tainted and corrupted by money grubbing. My wife and I are both still owed from paychecks that were shortchanged when we did some contract work years ago.

I’m not objective anymore.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just finished a visit with long time friends. One teaches at uga. Some of the classes they teach are required for certain majors. They have a scholarship athlete in one of their classes. The coach changed a practice time and now it conflicts with the class. The student has to go to practice or they lose their scholarship. Yet, the supposed purpose of the scholarship is so they can go to school. Unable to take this key class now means they can’t complete their major. Solution offered by the administration is to “work something out,” translation, just give them the grade.

slugboy

Staff member
Just finished a visit with long time friends. One teaches at uga. Some of the classes they teach are required for certain majors. They have a scholarship athlete in one of their classes. The coach changed a practice time and now it conflicts with the class. The student has to go to practice or they lose their scholarship. Yet, the supposed purpose of the scholarship is so they can go to school. Unable to take this key class now means they can’t complete their major. Solution offered by the administration is to “work something out,” translation, just give them the grade.
So many classes have remote options, they can probably watch recordings and take their tests another time

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So many classes have remote options, they can probably watch recordings and take their tests another time
It goes against popular belief but not every class can be handled remotely. This one definitely cannot.

Besides, when I was in academia instructors and administrators spoke of “prime teaching hours.” These were sacrosanct and could only be violated by extracurricular activities, assemblies and events without a general consensus from the faculty that these served a pedagogical purpose. A single coach could not make a unilateral decision like this. I know I’m a dinosaur but if you make academics the lowest priority of an institution that is supposed to be about academics then something is wrong. Sports at uga have become the tail that wags the dog.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Didn't GT have this same exact issue a few years ago with TaQuon Marshall (I believe)? If I recall correctly, the class was required for his major, but was only offered once per year by a part time professor who had a full time professional job. People on this forum were ranting about how GT lets school get in the way of football. As much as I like to rag on the mutts, at all FBS schools there are 105 players and probably thousands of classes. Coordinating practice time, which require the entire team, and class times to never interfere with each other is all but impossible.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Didn't GT have this same exact issue a few years ago with TaQuon Marshall (I believe)? If I recall correctly, the class was required for his major, but was only offered once per year by a part time professor who had a full time professional job. People on this forum were ranting about how GT lets school get in the way of football. As much as I like to rag on the mutts, at all FBS schools there are 105 players and probably thousands of classes. Coordinating practice time, which require the entire team, and class times to never interfere with each other is all but impossible.
Maybe.

This was a change after schedules were set and student was enrolled. A Coach arbitrarily changing a schedule that effects multiple students, classes and professors after everyone else planned ahead shows a special kind of arrogance.