Mutts

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
More AJC columnists piling on. This is about to get ugly...

Also, it appears that the AJC thinks the A-CC Police were indeed trying to minimize the incident:

"There could be more revelations as police get around to properly investigating what they initially tried to pass off as a single-vehicle crash, despite evidence to the contrary."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The thing they'll investigate is if he somehow caused the wreck during the race...and if there's video of him drinking at the strip club (there's video of the group together) that could lead down a lot of various outcomes. None good for Carter.

Carter had the world at his doorstep. Unfortunately, there are two young people now dead, and a LOT of unanswered questions.

Carter is DEFINITELY getting treated with UGA favoritism. I don't see how this doesn't get blown out of the water pretty soon:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Trust me, one of us is being obtuse but it's not me.

I get that you want to spare the cops from any hint of wrongdoing but it's fairly clear they made errors here.
Ridiculous. It may have been an error in judgement, but there's no proof it was due to FAVORITISM. There's a wide gap between "wrongdoing" and a possible error in judgement.
I don't know what nit-picking hindsight causes you to attack the one person who was trying to do something about Jalen Carter's driving, which was the cop who pulled him over and gave him a thousand-dollar ticket. There may be interference being run for Carter up the ladder, but I don't see attacking the cop who caught him speeding and cited him. You act like he just let him go.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I get what you're saying, but I don't think you're going to convince us, or the AJC, that protecting a uga football player didn't factor into these decisions.

The more I read on this, the more complicit I think A-CC is in this situation.
I'm defending the cop who pulled him over and gave him a thousand-dollar ticket. I don't see why that cop is being piled on at all.

I understand why Carter wasn't charged right away after the accident, because it took a while for the investigation to unfold. However, it's becoming more and more questionable as to why he hasn't been charged with more serious offenses after that investigation revealed he was likely racing the Expedition at the time of the crash, except that perhaps the D.A. didn't believe there was sufficient proof of that. But you're right to point out that the AJC spotlight on the case might lead to more charges.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm defending the cop who pulled him over and gave him a thousand-dollar ticket. I don't see why that cop is being piled on at all.

I understand why Carter wasn't charged right away after the accident, because it took a while for the investigation to unfold. However, it's becoming more and more questionable as to why he hasn't been charged with more serious offenses after that investigation revealed he was likely racing the Expedition at the time of the crash, except that perhaps the D.A. didn't believe there was sufficient proof of that. But you're right to point out that the AJC spotlight on the case might lead to more charges.

The fact that the cop said “Your break is you’re not going to jail. Because that would make all kinds of news, right? tells me that that cop knew that bad press was what he considered the worst possible thing that could happen to Carter. Add to that the fact that he is currently only facing misdemeanor racing charges, and not being charged with accessory to manslaughter or fleeing the scene of a crime/accident and we have every reason to believe that the A-CC is complicit in this culture of protecting the best interests of uga football.

I doubt you're going to change your mind, and I understand where you are coming from, but I happen to disagree with you on this one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ridiculous. It may have been an error in judgement, but there's no proof it was due to FAVORITISM. There's a wide gap between "wrongdoing" and a possible error in judgement.
I don't know what nit-picking hindsight causes you to attack the one person who was trying to do something about Jalen Carter's driving, which was the cop who pulled him over and gave him a thousand-dollar ticket. There may be interference being run for Carter up the ladder, but I don't see attacking the cop who caught him speeding and cited him. You act like he just let him go.

Cop should've arrested his arse not "just" give him a $1,000 ticket.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The fact that the cop said “Your break is you’re not going to jail. Because that would make all kinds of news, right? tells me that that cop knew that bad press was what he considered the worst possible thing that could happen to Carter.
It doesn't necessarily say that at all to me. It seems the cop's way of trying to make an impression on him to stop speeding. But I understand how it could be interpreted as you see it.
Add to that the fact that he is currently only facing misdemeanor racing charges, and not being charged with accessory to manslaughter or fleeing the scene of a crime/accident and we have every reason to believe that the A-CC is complicit in this culture of protecting the best interests of uga football.
I get your point on that completely, as I said above. I'm thinking additional charges may well come down.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
More AJC columnists piling on. This is about to get ugly...

Also, it appears that the AJC thinks the A-CC Police were indeed trying to minimize the incident:

"There could be more revelations as police get around to properly investigating what they initially tried to pass off as a single-vehicle crash, despite evidence to the contrary."
it was a single-vehicle crash. To my knowledge, no other car was involved in the crash. No other car sustained damage. Seems she was going too fast in an impaired state while racing and lost control. That is a single-vehicle accident.

That being said, did Carter get tested for BOC? As someone who does investigations for a living (not VAR work), Sometimes the initial information gathered isn't 100% accurate. It's a natural part of the investigation for additional facts to come out that change the narrative. I haven't been following it closely and refuse to read the AUC, so I have no opinion if A/CC cops obfuscated the facts to allow this to seem like it was less than it really was.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
it was a single-vehicle crash. To my knowledge, no other car was involved in the crash. No other car sustained damage. Seems she was going too fast in an impaired state while racing and lost control. That is a single-vehicle accident.

That being said, did Carter get tested for BOC? As someone who does investigations for a living (not VAR work), Sometimes the initial information gathered isn't 100% accurate. It's a natural part of the investigation for additional facts to come out that change the narrative. I haven't been following it closely and refuse to read the AUC, so I have no opinion if A/CC cops obfuscated the facts to allow this to seem like it was less than it really was.
Carter's vehicle had scratches on the roof from the powerlines that came down when the other vehicle hit a pole, so another vehicle was damaged, he just fled the scene instead of stopping and calling 911.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

I understand where your coming from because the last paper to ever give Tech a break is the AJC, but I have to say they are really doing a good job of reporting this and bringing things to light that would not have never been known otherwise.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In Athens, people died in a car wreck and now the sure-thing high-first-round NFL draft pick who is associated with that wreck is facing charges. In Tuscaloosa, a sure NBA lottery pick is associated with a fatal shooting, and there’s far less press and the star athlete is not facing charges.

I think the AJC has made a huge difference here.
Yesterday I was staying at a hotel and TVs in the breakfast lounge had on Good Morning America or whatever that show is called that I never watch. They did an entire segment on this story with lots of photos, screenshots of quotes from players, AJC reporting, and more. I was surprised at how long the story was as well as watching the three hosts continue to discuss it after the segment was over.

We need to quit glorifying national championships at the expense of all other values. So I’m glad that this is getting heavily reported.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The A-CC is no longer treating this as a single vehicle crash.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I understand where your coming from because the last paper to ever give Tech a break is the AJC, but I have to say they are really doing a good job of reporting this and bringing things to light that would not have never been known otherwise.
I would agree with "bringing things to light that would have never been known otherwise" referring to the general public, per se. But I disagree that A/CC police were doing a cover-up job for ugaAA. I think the A/CC police, with the help of GBI, if they need it, would thoroughly investigate the incident. As we all know from watching police serials on TV, cops don't really comment about ongoing investigations. That's because as additional information comes out, theories as to what happened change.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The A-CC is no longer treating this as a single vehicle crash.
Additional information I was unaware of. I would venture to guess he left because his BOC was over the legal limit and he didn't want to be caught for that too. That's speculation and I could be 100% wrong. Did the BOC of the player that died (he was 20, right) ever get released? Were the other passengers tested to determine their level of intoxication?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Additional information I was unaware of. I would venture to guess he left because his BOC was over the legal limit and he didn't want to be caught for that too. That's speculation and I could be 100% wrong. Did the BOC of the player that died (he was 20, right) ever get released? Were the other passengers tested to determine their level of intoxication?
Only the driver who died had toxicology report done and autopsy. No other victim was tested for BAC, or anyone from the other car that left then returned and the players were interviewed by cops. Lack of institutional control by the A-CC police.

As for the charges against Carter, we all know additional charges can be added as well as current charges dropped. The A-CC wanted this to be swept under the rug but now that it is in the light, it's gonna get interesting.

Latest story: https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...owing-fatal-crash/HRK55QFQ2RD4NANIFEFIQVF4YI/
*uga-aa has been all but silent on communicating with the family of Willock, who has now retained wrongful death attorneys out of ATL and not with the law firm that first represented them and had an NIL partnership with their son. As Dr Arnold said in Jurassic Park "Hold on to your butts."

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Smart said no policy changes are needed. How can he say that? There was no double checking that all keys were turned in and secured after the vehicles purpose was finished. Thats number 1 biggest change...

It can be assumed by a certain breed of lawyers that Smart is saying the young lady stole the vehicle and we can't do anything about stopping a person from stealing a recruiting vehicle. Such trash. I hate that the 2 people died but I hate that this trash of a human is now so insulated that nothing will change and the deaths of 2 people that could have led to policy changes across the college football landscape will not be learned from.

When people you are molding and incharge of die, and you don't go through all related policies with a fine tooth comb to look for safety double checks, you're either a horrible human or you need to announce all related policys that failed. Just saying that; well ya know she didn't turn it in. We didn't call her and tell her she needed to. We didn't have a punishment for folks who don't turn in the vehicles. I just dont know what more we could have done. PATHETIC